Non-anime movies that really made you think?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Non-anime movies that really made you think?

Postby airichan623 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm asking because I just finished watching the 1984 movie Red Dawn, which was in turn thought provoking, horribly sad, and intruiging. I couldn't tear my eyes away as they filled with tears. And now I'm wondering what I would do in that situation.

Other movies that made/make me think:

-Walk to Remember
-Inception (Duh)
-Bourne trilogy

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:06 am

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Here's a few:

Saving Private Ryan
Gettysburg
The Matrix
The Prestige
Death Note and Death Note: The Last Name (does that count as non-anime, since it's live-action?)
The Village
Twelve Angry Men
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Here's one that I can't recommend right away, unless you can handle its disturbing nature: A Clockwork Orange. This is a movie that's meant to be disturbing, as there was no other way the story could be presented accurately and honestly. It is not for the faint-hearted, but it is an excellent commentary on violence in our society.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:05 pm

Akira Kurosawa's IKIRU
Carl Dreyer's ORDET
Robert Bressson's DIARY OF A COUNTRY PRIEST
Errol Morris' MR DEATH: THE RISE AND FALL OF FRED LEUCHTER JR
SOLARIS (the Steven Soderbergh / George Cloony version)

Might list more later.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:51 pm

The Grapes of Wrath by John Ford
2001: A Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubrick
A Clockwork Orange also by Stanley Kubrick (I will not recommend this to anyone here.)
Every movie by Terrence Malick.
O' Horten by Brent Hamer
Babel by Alejandro González Iñárritu
The Science of Sleep by Michel Gondry

And now I am off to feel like an elitist snob. :lol: bigsleepj's post makes me feel a bit better about it, though.
Cognitive Gear

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention The Fountain :eh:

Also, I might add that a movie might make you think regardless of whether it actually carries a deep message or not, or even if it's a good movie or not. Often a movie will spark a certain line of thought only vaguely related to the movie itself, or you can start thinking about something because of a conversation you have with someone who watches it with you.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:47 pm

The Painted Veil, starring Edward Norton and Naomi Watts.
The Prestige
Fearless, by Peter Weir, starring Jeff Bridges
The Truman Show
The Godfather
Fight Club
Citizen Kane
Slumdog Millionaire

There are more, I think. I tend to favor thought-provoking movies over guns'n'explosions or romcoms.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Vii » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Some of mine have already been mentioned but I'll put 'em on the list anyway.
-Inception (My brain was at full capacity just trying to understand it. O.o)
-The Sixth Sense
-Freedom Writers
-The Matrix (I still don't understand it fully)
-Up
-A.I.
-Twelve Angry Men ( I read the book first. Same thing really.)

I probably have more but that's all I can think of right now.
Vii

Postby Mouse2010 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:22 am

No Country for Old Men. Absolutely brutal, absolutely beautiful in a stark way, and it left me puzzling over the last words for some time after seeing it.*

I keep meaning to read some Cormac McCarthy, but it might just be too dark for me.

* I love the Coen brothers, but I tend to love their lighter, more comic fare, like Raising Arizona, The Hudsucker Proxy, or O Brother Where Art Thou? This was the first sample of the "dark Coen brothers" that I actually liked.
Mouse2010

Postby bakura91 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 pm

The Butterfly Effect: I haven't watched it in a while but Years ago when I saw it first I watched it Multiple times. I Love that movie It made me think alot about how much even the smallest decisions I make may have affected my life for better or worse, I made me wonder "If I could go back to a bad moment in my life would I stop/change it or did that bad moment actually help my life for the better"? It also made me think how important my interactions are with different people Ive come across in my life.

Protocals of Zion: very interesting Documentary about Antisemitism in America and how Different groups of people can interpret information and believe misinformation and come to conclusions of hatred for others.
bakura91

Postby battletech » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 am

"Moon" staring Sam Rockwell

"Mission To Mars" staring Gary Sinise

There have been many. These are just the names I can remember.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Edward » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:04 pm

The Matrix
Dr. Strangelove
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby bakura91 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:39 am

Never Let Me Go: That was a Great movie, Its hard for me to properly say what its about because I feel that would be giving away to much So I recomend people just watch the trailer, see if that catchs your eye and then watch the movie. The Themes I see in the movie are what makes up the human life and experiences, the characters (Ill say this without giving away plot details) are robbed of many of the basic things in human life people take for granted, as they mature they find some of these things, love, freedoms, etc. but they know that these joys wont last forever and (for plot reasons I wont give away) they arent free completly
bakura91

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Most recently, Prayers for Bobby :/

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Return to General Entertainment