Thor

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Thor

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Just wondering if anyone has seen this and whether they recommend watching it?

My wife wanted to watch it, and I thought about watching it too.

However, after we watched the trailer, we're not so sure. For some reason, the trailer kinda put us off. It just didn't seem that interesting...
Sammy Boy

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Never bet against Branagh.

That said, despite the source material being very difficult to translate to the screen, Thor's RT score is currently at 95%, for whatever that is worth to you. (This movie isn't out in the US yet, so some of the bigger-named critics have not yet reviewed it.)

As far as non-critic reviews go, I have heard that it is a good, fun movie that is better than the trailers made it look. In general people seem to think that it is in-between Iron-Man and Iron-Man 2 in terms of overal entertainment value.

So not the greatest of praise, but enough for me to want to see it.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Furen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:30 pm

If you are a marvel fan, it would be highly recommended to see it because of the united continuity the company is doing, leading up to the avengers (after the end of the credits)

If you aren't a marvel fan, the run down of Thor's origin is:
Thor is the son of Oden, the god of Asgard (heaven of the Marvel's most popular universe in the multiverse) and Thor has the power of thunder, he wields the mighty hammer Mjorn (spelled wrong, I apologize) which can only be weld by those the hammer deems worthy as it's master (except the hulk, only non god to lift it by pure strength)
Thor was sent to midgard (what the people of Asgard call earth) to protect it
The main villain is Loki, the god of deception.

Very basic plot summary (assuming it's that story), I'm not a big fan of the Thor side of things, but I'll be seeing this movie eventually.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:03 pm

I plan on checking it out. After getting caught up on some comics he is becoming a fav of mine. The trailer is a bit off setting but still looks like it'll be a fun watch
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:43 pm

I want to see this solely because Kenneth Branagh directed it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:10 am

Furen - thanks for the brief intro to Thor. I'm aware of it as I used to read Avengers in the 90s. :)

So my wife and I watched this film after lunch today. We decided to go ahead because from what you've all said, it seems like an enjoyable film. Plus we had free movie tickets.

After seeing it, I can say that we did enjoy it, and were not disappointed. So if you haven't made up your mind, I'd say go ahead and watch it! :)
Sammy Boy

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri May 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Pros:

Warriors Three
HAWKEYE
Thor being really powerful and awesome.
Asgard looked cool

Cons:

Jane Foster is cute and that's it.
No ThorxSif shipping.
No Balder
Fights needed more vice
Weren't actually gods.

But overall I really enjoyed the film
Solid Ronin

Postby mkalv » Sun May 08, 2011 7:54 am

I saw the film, and I loved it. How does Marvel make such good films (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor)? There were some boring scenes, but all the goods outweighed them. The teaser at the end, wow. I can't wait for Captain America and The Avengers.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 am

mkalv wrote:How does Marvel make such good films?

*Ahem*
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Riggidig » Sun May 08, 2011 10:55 am

Saw it today. Personally I thought it was VERY underwhelming compared to all the other Marvel films. It was like I was waiting for the movie to pick up steam, then it just ended. Also I must say I was VERY disappointed by the 3D (or rather lack thereof) in the movie. I might as well have watched the 2D version for cheaper. Like the others have said though you'll probably want to watch this and the Captain America movie coming out soon so you'll be prepared for the Avengers movie coming out next year.
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun May 08, 2011 11:56 am

Have people still not learned that 3D is a total scam?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mkalv » Sun May 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1477554) wrote:*Ahem*

Okay, not ALL their films are great, but the majority of the ones I have seen I enjoyed. But yeah, that one was boring.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby Roberts » Mon May 09, 2011 8:06 am

Saw this 2 or 3 weeks ago and thought it was pretty decent. Pretty decent, and far better than I was expecting based on the trailer.

The 3D was no Avatar, but it did add to the movie-going experience for me.
Roberts

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon May 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Where'd you see it two or three weeks ago? It only came out in theaters last Friday. Even bootleggers need a little time to work.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Peanut » Mon May 09, 2011 3:57 pm

I saw it when it came out on Friday and I have to say, I liked it. It wasn't close to being the best Marvel based movie but I actually found I enjoyed it. Some of the plot lines did get rushed to hasty conclusions going into the third act and the fight scenes could have been much better. But I loved the way they played up the relationships between Thor, Odin and Loki and Loki himself really made the film worth seeing for me. The actor did a great job and I liked how they went about hiding his motives until the film ended.

So yeah, I enjoyed Thor and would actually see it again.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon May 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Htom, it was released elsewhere before it was released in the US. That's probably how he saw it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mechana2015 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Never mind, I mixed up my threads.

I haven't seen this yet and I'm on the fence as to whether I'll see this in theaters, but I want to see it eventually anyhow.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri May 13, 2011 11:27 pm

I saw this tonight and I enjoyed it a great deal. Good casting, good acting, great visuals. The script was maybe kinda blah, but the direction saved it. I really enjoyed the actor who played Loki.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Tue May 31, 2011 2:27 pm

I loved it and thought it was well-written and acted. The jokes were great and I loved the sequel hook at the end. Loki was an excellent villain (kudos to his actor for portraying him well).
Oh, and [spoiler] I think the dude with the bow and arrow was Hawkeye.[/spoiler]
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Wolf-man » Tue May 31, 2011 6:33 pm

rocklobster (post: 1482089) wrote:I loved it and thought it was well-written and acted. The jokes were great and I loved the sequel hook at the end. Loki was an excellent villain (kudos to his actor for portraying him well).
Oh, and [spoiler] I think the dude with the bow and arrow was Hawkeye.[/spoiler]

The thing at the end was more of an Avengers hook considering that most likely Loki will be the main villain for that film.
Also in response to your spoiler tag [spoiler]Yes that was Hawkeye[/spoiler]

Ok so Thor was freaking awesome!!! I loved it and I want to see it again. Great start to the summer comic book movies!
Wolf-man

Return to General Entertainment