Worst live-action adaptions

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Worst live-action adaptions

Postby AnimeGirl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:36 pm

This is a ranting thread to talk about terrible live-action adaptions of animated shows or movies. Feel free to rant on about what adaptions you thought failed the original.

What made me start this thread? Well, my bro and I just finished watching "The Last Airbender", the live-action adaption of "Avatar: The Last Airbender". It then made me think of the "Masters Of The Universe" movie which was a live-action adaption of "He-Man and The Masters Of The Universe". Let me tell you that both of these films were a disaster! However, the He-Man adaption was at least somewhat amusing and entertaining, even though they got everything wrong (it was so fun to laugh at!). But the adaption of Airbender was not only boring, but they cut so much out and messed up so many things it was confusing and painful to watch. If you hadn't of seen the animated series, you'd probably have no idea what the heck was going on. And where was the passion and character developement? Plus, the firebending was VERY disappointing. Firebenders can naturally create fire from the energy and heat that flows within the body, but in here they made it like they can only bend fire that's there (which is true, but they can go BEYOND that easily). And they got all shock when Iroh could create fire out of nothing? Of course he can! All firebenders can! And the costumes (other than the munks and Aang) looked totally cheesy. Cosplayers look more realistic and believeable then them! And what happened to all of the humor and emotion? It was like that was totally sucked out, leaving this film dry. Everyone was out of character, terribly out of character. Also..where did Zuko's scar go? He had somewhat of a scar, but I thought the whole point was to show how ruthless the Fire Nation was. He looks barely scathed. And that Ozai....he did not look intimidating at all!
There's alot more I can say, but this post is too long already, heh heh. But my bro and I had fun making fun of it. Oh, if only Mystery Science Theater 3000 was still on the air, THIS would be ripe for comments!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Although Conan was originally a series of pulp stories by Robert E. Howard, it still can be said that the cartoon version was way better than the Ah-nold movies. And while not animation exactly, about 9 out of every 10 game-to-movie adaptations suck pretty bad (*cough*Street Fighter*cough*).

Also:
http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/last-airbender

Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39zOCnMb2DA
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:55 pm

Pretty much every live-action adaptation that I've seen has sucked.

That Dragonball thing was probably one of the worst offenders.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Inspector Gadget was horrible.
and not every live-action movie based on a cartoon was bad. Speed Racer was excellent.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Psycho Molos » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:17 pm

rocklobster (post: 1469481) wrote:Inspector Gadget was horrible.
and not every live-action movie based on a cartoon was bad. Speed Racer was excellent.

/snickers...

"Inspector Gadget" :P

What about SMB?
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Street fighter: Rise of Chun lee worst movie i have ever seen. And speed racer was meh, and Inspector gadget was terribad
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Xeno » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm

It wasn't so much of an "adaptation" as it was live-action chapter of the story, but G-Saviour was pretty bad. As a stand-alone film it would have made a decent b-movie, but throwing it into the Gundam universe pretty much ruined any chance it had.

I have very low expectations for the up-coming AKIRA live-action film. The Twilight Guy and New-Kirk or Justin Timberlake are just terrible choices for the lead characters.

Oh, the Chinese Initial D movie was pretty hilarious too.
Xeno

Postby Nami » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:54 am

Arg!! The Last Airbender Is one of the WORST adaptions ever made! along with Dragonball Z's live-action, and I don't even like Dragonball Z!! And I WAS OFFENDED!

Can you imagine?! They are making a Death Note here IN AMERICA (at least, that's what I've read) its going to be horrible, I know it. >_>

Speed Racer wasn't bad, but then again, I didn't see the cartoon. But my mom, a REALLY old fan of Speed Racer liked it, so *shrugs*
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:53 am

Xeno (post: 1469506) wrote:
I have very low expectations for the up-coming AKIRA live-action film. The Twilight Guy and New-Kirk or Justin Timberlake are just terrible choices for the lead characters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original AKIRA characters aren't American white bread. What is going on here.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby GeneD » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:08 pm

I saw Blood: The Last Vampire the other day. The whole movie has jaundice and most of the characters were just bags of weird chunky blood. Don't watch it.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:27 pm

GeneD (post: 1469574) wrote:I saw Blood: The Last Vampire the other day. The whole movie has jaundice and most of the characters were just bags of weird chunky blood. Don't watch it.

Wait- they have a live-action of that? o.O"
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 pm

GeneD (post: 1469574) wrote:I saw Blood: The Last Vampire the other day. The whole movie has jaundice and most of the characters were just bags of weird chunky blood. Don't watch it.

That was a pretty terrible film...particularly the finale...well, no, just the entire thing, except...Gianna Jun! She's one of my favorite actresses and was pretty good in a pretty bad movie.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1469448) wrote:Although Conan was originally a series of pulp stories by Robert E. Howard....

I can vouch that the stories, though rough around the edges (PG13 - R, depending on the tale), are extremely good for the kind of stories they are. I recommend them to anyone who enjoy adventure stories.

Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li was worse than the original flop, which is saying somthing.

I saw the recent live action Tekken movie recently, which is being released in some Region 2 areas. Its pretty decent as far as could be expected, though not a perfect movie.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1469563) wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original AKIRA characters aren't American white bread. What is going on here.

Racism.

The whole original was very blatantly set in Japan. Happy Hollywood whitewashing. =.=

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:16 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1469581) wrote:Racism.

The whole original was very blatantly set in Japan. Happy Hollywood whitewashing. =.=

So like, is Otomo ok with this?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Sapphire225 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:21 pm

DBZ's trailer was enough to repel many fans of the show from watching it. The movie nearly made everyone who saw it die a little in the inside by how badly it was done.

To make your stomachs turn even more everyone, there is said to be another 2011 Death Note live-adaptation...in AMERICA! (Dear Hollywood, just leave some things to the Japanese...)
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:41 pm

The Akira adaptation...I don't want to think about it.
I also heard they're making a live action Cowboy Bebop with Keanu Reeves as Spike. I...I don't know. The guy's got two acting modes and I don't know if either would really fit.
Ante Bellum

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1469588) wrote:So like, is Otomo ok with this?

I have no idea. I'd hope he wouldn't be.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Akira wasn't that great of a movie anyway, so imagine how crappy the whitewashed Hollywood version will be.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:26 pm

I'd prefer someone took the money and remade the animated movie into a trilogy or quadrilogy or something to cover the full story from the comics.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby rocklobster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm convinced the only reason Akira caught on was the gore and the mind screw.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:48 pm

rocklobster (post: 1469617) wrote:I'm convinced the only reason Akira caught on was the gore and the mind screw.

and some great animation. I liked the weird story line and didn't really think it was that gorey
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby TWWK » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 pm

Ante Bellum (post: 1469594) wrote:I also heard they're making a live action Cowboy Bebop with Keanu Reeves as Spike. I...I don't know. The guy's got two acting modes and I don't know if either would really fit.

Keanu's said that the script they have would put the budget at hundreds of millions of dollars, so it doesn't look as if they'll go with that script. And with Keanu doing other films, he doesn't seem to be in a rush to make this one. For better or worse, right now it doesn't look like this adaptation will be made.

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby Atria35 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:03 pm

And the rumor about the Cowboy Bebop movie has been around for at least 3 years. I have yet to see hide or hair of it.
Atria35

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:19 pm

I have the anime miniseries and live action movie versions of Zeiram. The movie is wildly different from the original series, but only "bad" in a delightfully cheesy low-budget sort of way. Still wanna see Zeiram 2.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Wolf-man » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:23 pm

The Zeiram movie is not an adaptation. The movie came first and the anime came after it. Those movies are awesome. The only reason they are a little chessey is because of the dubbing.
Wolf-man

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Oh. My bad. :grin:
Htom Sirveaux

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:58 am

Another worst live-action adaptation of a video game I would like to add is this:

Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Scarecrow » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Yeah SMB was terrible. It doesn't resemble the game at all except for character names. I'm surprised any of these guys were able to get work after that piece of crap. I don't think I could make a worse Mario Brothers movie if I tried.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby TWWK » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm

About the Cowboy Bebop movie, apparently it's not dead yet. Keanu (unintentionally) did some "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" wordplay when talking about it. :D

TWWK

Next

Return to General Entertainment