Best sequels

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1455185) wrote:See, in The Empire Strikes Back, our brave knight descends into Hell to fight his Demon who has killed his mentor, family, and two of his closest friends. Despite his valiant efforts, he loses, his innocence lost with that slash that removed his right hand.

In The Phantom Menace, some random dude with facepaint and a black cloak shows up and kills a dude before being killed to keep continuity.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:50 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1455185) wrote:I also kind of have a problem with Duel of the Fates because even though it looks cool and all, Darth Maul really is a meh villain. Someone once argued that Vader was the same way, he was originally all about presence and not depth, but Vader was actually in the plot. We rooted against him as he continued to fight our heroes and strike down good people.

See, in The Empire Strikes Back, our brave knight descends into Hell to fight his Demon who has killed his mentor, family, and two of his closest friends. Despite his valiant efforts, he loses, his innocence lost with that slash that removed his right hand.

In The Phantom Menace, some random dude with facepaint and a black cloak shows up and kills a dude before being killed to keep continuity.

Agreed 110%. Honestly, when I think about things like this, it gets easier and easier for me to forget that the prequels ever existed. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Ah, I guess different strokes. At least you folks stil accept me.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 pm

Atria35 (post: 1455113) wrote:I think I didn't like Duel of the Fates beause if Darth Maul hadn't pussyfooted around and just killed Obi-Wan, he would have won. It's one of the most avoidable deaths ever, and falls into the same kind of bad cliched death where the bad guy is struck down while monologuing.

The worst part, to me, is that in the third movie they make this scene even worse. During the climax of the evenly matched Obi-wan and Anikin duel, Obi-wan says something to the effect of, "Don't do it. I have the high ground." The idea is that having the high ground is a significant advantage.

This is a mirror of the situation found in episode one, in the duel between Darth Maul and Obi-wan. The differences here are that Darth Maul is obviously a more skilled swordsman than Obi-wan, given that he was able to fend off Obi-wan and Qui-gon at that same time. So at the climax of this duel, we have Obi wan down at the low ground, jumping up at Darth Maul.

Somehow, despite his complete disadvantage in both combat prowess and his position, he jumps up, over Darth Maul's head and slices him in twain.

So which is it? Is the advantage really the high ground, or the low ground? This is only the beginning of the problems this sequence has.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:44 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1455337) wrote:The worst part, to me, is that in the third movie they make this scene even worse. During the climax of the evenly matched Obi-wan and Anikin duel, Obi-wan says something to the effect of, "Don't do it. I have the high ground." The idea is that having the high ground is a significant advantage.

This is a mirror of the situation found in episode one, in the duel between Darth Maul and Obi-wan. The differences here are that Darth Maul is obviously a more skilled swordsman than Obi-wan, given that he was able to fend off Obi-wan and Qui-gon at that same time. So at the climax of this duel, we have Obi wan down at the low ground, jumping up at Darth Maul.

Somehow, despite his complete disadvantage in both combat prowess and his position, he jumps up, over Darth Maul's head and slices him in twain.

So which is it? Is the advantage really the high ground, or the low ground? This is only the beginning of the problems this sequence has.

Simple... Destiny. That's why it was called duel of the fates... :D He could have had both arms chopped off holding the saber in his mouth and still won cause he was destined to defeat Darth Maul and train Anakin. If destiny wants you dead, you're screwed so Darth Maul was out of luck. And Anakin need to become Darth Vader in destiny's plot to bring balance to the galaxy.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:15 am

Scarecrow (post: 1455365) wrote:Simple... Destiny. That's why it was called duel of the fates... :D He could have had both arms chopped off holding the saber in his mouth and still won cause he was destined to defeat Darth Maul and train Anakin. If destiny wants you dead, you're screwed so Darth Maul was out of luck. And Anakin need to become Darth Vader in destiny's plot to bring balance to the galaxy.

In other words, "because it was in the script."

George Lucas, you have cheated us all. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby TWWK » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1455185) wrote:See, in The Empire Strikes Back, our brave knight descends into Hell to fight his Demon who has killed his mentor, family, and two of his closest friends. Despite his valiant efforts, he loses, his innocence lost with that slash that removed his right hand.

The Empire Strikes back is a better film...MUCH better, for sure. But we'll all enjoy what we'll enjoy. I liked The Phantom Menace so much because it met my expectations of how cool the Jedi would've been back in the day. I enjoyed it thoroughly. And to this day, I've never had as much fun at a theater, as the audience cheered loudly many times throughout - it was just a great experience.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:24 pm

A great experience doesn't make a great movie. Otherwise Rocky Horror Picture Show is the greatest film ever created by man, and Citizen Kane is the worst if we go by audience reactions during the movie.

Not that I ever saw Citizen Kane in the theaters, mind you, but I can't imagine anyone applauding or cheering during that movie.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:35 pm

Nate (post: 1455531) wrote:A great experience doesn't make a great movie. Otherwise Rocky Horror Picture Show is the greatest film ever created by man, and Citizen Kane is the worst if we go by audience reactions during the movie.

Not that I ever saw Citizen Kane in the theaters, mind you, but I can't imagine anyone applauding or cheering during that movie.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby TWWK » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Nate (post: 1455531) wrote:A great experience doesn't make a great movie.

True, but it can help make for a favorite movie...not that this thread is about favorites. :P
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Rocketshipper » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 am

I think Terminator 2 and Aliens together are the greatest sequals of all time.

Some other ones

Movies where I think the sequal is BETTER than the original...

-Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (the first one felt too mean spirited towards the franchise. part 2 actually felt like a REAL Scooby Doo movie)
-Temple of Doom and Last Crusade
-All the Die Hard sequals (Yes, Die Hard 1 is my *least favorite* of the movies. *hides*)
-Transporter 2 and 3
-Toy Story 3
-Batman Returns
-Most Godzilla movies (just love all the big monster fights!)
-Pirates of the Carribbean 2
-Spider-man 2

Movies where the sequal lives up to the original
-HSM 3
-Killer Tomatoes sequals
-Gremlins 2
-Halloween 2 (the old one, NOT the new Rob Zombie one) and H20
-Elm Streets 3, 6, and 7
-Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day
-Child's Play 2
-Ghoulies 2
-The Dark Knight

I'll probably end up thinking of more later.

I'm hesitant to put movies like Star Wars and LOTR on the list because of the whole Trilogy thing; I don't really see them as "sequals" as more like smallers parts of a whole. Thinking of them as "sequals" to me feels like thinking of the later episodes in a TV series as "sequals" to episode 1.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Previous

Return to General Entertainment