Spider-Man' Broadway musical is back!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Spider-Man' Broadway musical is back!

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:12 pm

Yes, U2 can make a 'Spider-Man' Broadway musical

USA Today wrote:This fall's Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark marks the first time that U2 frontman Bono and guitarist The Edge have written a score for the stage. But the rock stars' love affair with musical theater predates their involvement in the show, which begins previews Nov. 14 and opens Dec. 21.

"A school production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat was where I first found my voice," Bono says via e-mail from Europe, where the band is on tour. His father, moreover, "was a fine tenor and sang in many musicals." Bono recalls him "dressed as a cowboy in Oklahoma!"

Edge singles out West Side Story and The Music Man as "truly inspiring. The ambition for us was to write a score that matched the imagination of the best of contemporary music and the best of musical theater combined."

Bono and Edge's music and lyrics accompany a book co-written by playwright Glen Berger and Julie Taymor, who also directs. Taymor sought to spin an original tale that retained the "essence of this myth" adored by comic-book and movie fans.

"The basic story," she says, "is this geeky boy (Peter Parker, who acquires a superhero alter-ego when bitten by a genetically altered spider), who could be anybody, acquires this great power. And with great power comes great responsibility."

Bono agrees that "what's special is the very ordinariness of Peter Parker. It sounds odd to say, but Spider-Man is as important to the 21st century as the story of Ulysses was to the ancient Greeks. These are morality plays, where luminous characters duke it out in ways very revealing of the nature of who we are."

In Spider-Man, that battle is enhanced with spectacle. "We've got a great dance company, and there will be acrobatic circus feats and unbelievable action sequences," Taymor says. "We'll have (performers) flying over people in the audience, landing in the aisles and the balconies."

The technology and design accompanying such feats aren't cheap. Though a publicist for Spider-Man wouldn't comment on its budget, press reports have put the cost around $50 million. The show's original producers ran short on money, prompting a long delay and fueling skepticism.

"We've been on the receiving end of some cynicism from the Broadway media establishment," Edge says. "But really, who can blame them?" He and Bono "are under no illusion about how hard it is" to craft a musical.

"It's down to words and melodies," Bono says. "Are they memorable? Is it a fun ride, as well as a profound experience? I believe we are in with a chance."

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:18 pm

This already happened. It was called Spider-Man 3.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:38 pm

:eyebrow: <-- my face when I read the title...

sounds kinda bizarre... I can't imagine a singing Spidey.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby steenajack » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:33 pm

I would totally see this just to say that I have. XD! It sounds kinda funny....maybe in an unintentional way. lol XD!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Bono, huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1423851) wrote:Bono, huh?

Speaking of which....
You can listen to one of the songs here.

Also, according to this interview, the sets will "pop up", much like pop up books. I was very skeptical of this, but so far it sounds like it will really be a lot of fun.

EDIT: They show pictures of two of the villains in that interview, and WOW are they crazy looking.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:02 am

I know I wanna see this... I can understand why anyone would hate this idea but I'm curious. If it comes to the Pantages theatre in LA, I'll go see it.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:36 pm

60 Minutes had a piece on this earlier tonight.

Honestly, this looks like a whole lot of fun. If I get a chance to see it, I think I'll go. Unless early impressions are uniformly terrible. Then I will just wait to see how they try to salvage it.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:06 pm

"Spider-Man" Broadway Actor Falls 30 Feet

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Return to General Entertainment