Peter Jackson will direct The Hobbit after all!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:44 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Labor unions ruin everything.

ohboyherewego.jpg

Thanks for saying I completely support something that ruins everything though. Really makes me feel a ton better about myself!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:00 pm

<redacted>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:13 pm

Boy oh boy, actors unions.

Because actors are such a marginalized, trodden-on demographic needing protection from The Man.
Fish and Chips

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:39 pm

*sigh* Jesus Christ why do I even bother posting some days. "Hey guys let's crap out a bunch of strawman claims about unions and turn this thread political!"

Great, I can do that too! Once I saw a police officer arrest someone unlawfully so that means all police everywhere are evil and corrupt and the police force should be abolished completely because there's NO SUCH THING as a good police officer.

Screw it, I give up. You wanna take my statements and use them as personal attacks on me? Fine. You can do it without me. Feel free to laugh at me behind my back for being supportive of unions and make fun of how stupid and retarded I am for thinking they're good. It's not like I'm not used to being hated.

And now I've taken the topic of this thread and turned it into something completely different such that no one even cares this is a thread about the Hobbit movie! Feel free to blame that one on me too. I'll be sure to avoid posting any news or information about anything from now on so this won't happen again.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:49 pm

What? Geez, forgive me for not putting "THIS IS A JOKE" in giant flashing letters at the end of my post. You're the one making it personal.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:06 pm

I suggest taking this line of conversation to PM and sorting it out there. For now, let's return to the topic of the thread.

Anyways, I'm really sad to hear that! I don't really understand exactly why it's such an issue, but I'm hoping it's something they can work around to make the movie anyways! 8(
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Blastr wrote:According to Deadline, Jackson is committed to direct the $500 million project (most likely to be bankrolled by Warner Brothers), which will definitely be in 3-D, with December 2012 and December 2013 as the projected release dates.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Nate » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaand now I hope that this movie never gets made.

I will punch Peter Jackson IN THE FACE for making it in 3D. IN THE FACE.

Nate

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:09 pm

Nate, it's not PJ's perogative. Directors rarely have any say in that kind of thing. I wish 3D would just up and die too.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Oh great.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Eh, it's no big deal, really. XD Movie theaters always offer a 2D option, so I'll just spend my money on that instead. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Sounds good. I like the fact that they will be releasing these the same way that they released the LOTR trilogy.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Blastr wrote:After years of preproduction, a pair of directors, a bitter labor dispute and a bankrupted studio, The Hobbit has gotten the go-ahead to start shooting in February—with Peter Jackson securely at the helm.

The sets are already built, key players—including Ian McKellen—are waiting, and the script has been underway since 2008. Now, the $400 million, back-to-back production of the two-part Lord of the Rings prequel can finally begin.

Even though the labor issues are still not resolved, it was probably a foregone conclusion that The Hobbit would get made. Given that the Lord of the Rings trilogy brought in more than $2 billion worldwide—no businessman worth his salt would leave that kind of money on the table.

(Via The New York Times and The Wrap)

Roy Mustang

Postby ich1990 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:57 am

I am guessing that the December 2012 release date is out then. Do we have any current estimations as to when it will hit theaters?
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Never. IT'S CURSED I TELL YOU! CUUUURSED!
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Jeikobu » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:57 pm

I just think it's a shame Ian Holm isn't reprising his Biblo. I understand the character is a lot younger in this story, but makeup and CGI can go a long way. I just have a difficult timing seeing myself accepting anyone else in the role. They at least better bring back MacKellan and Serkis, and they MUST have Howard Shore do the musical score again.
"For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6

[SIZE="3"]Please give and help Japan during this awful time![/SIZE]

Please visit my Photobucket and tell me what you think!
Jeikobu

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:04 pm

The nation of New Zealand is fighting to have this thing made on their territory actually, with literal street protests FOR allowing it to be made. It'll probably be made there in the end though, since it's offering thousands of jobs and something like a billion dollars in income from tourism and the production itself.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby The Doctor » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:00 pm

As happy as I am about this, I feel bad for del Toro. He was supposed to direct The Hobbit (was against this from the start because I wondered why Jackson wasn't going to do it himself). Del Toro was excited as could be, but the production kept dealing with all these problems and was postponed continually.

Now, SHORTLY after he leaves and when Jackson takes back the reigns, the project is now back in full swing. I know MGM being bankrupt had a lot to do with it, but I wonder how del Toro must feel having everything now clicking after he left. Sad.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:30 pm

La Times wrote:he has no regrets about departing the New Zealand production, but says that anyone who think that MGM's financial mess was the main culprit for his departure is oversimplifying the issue.

"People kept misconstruing that it was MGM. It came from many factors," Del Toro told 24 Frames in an interview at Comic-Con. "It wasn't just MGM. These are very complicated movies, economically and politically. You have to get the blessing from three studios."

Instead, he said, it was the cumulative effect of all of these problems that began to wear him down. "It was really the fact that every six months we thought we were beginning, and every six months we got pushed [back]. And before you could blink, it was a year, and then it was two years."

So was there was a last straw in this bundle of woes? Some insiders have said that Del Toro and Jackson clashed over creative-control issues. The director said that in all their time working on the movie, he and the "Lord of the Rings" filmmaker were nothing but copacetic, though Del Toro didn't entirely rule out that it one day could have become fraught. "We were at the stage where the collaboration was good. If there were going to be any issues, we never got to that stage [in development]," he said.

As for the film he left behind, Del Toro threw his support to the man whom fans have been calling for. "I would love for Peter to direct it." But couldn't that be difficult for Del Toro to watch, knowing it could well have been his own creation? "Parts of it would be, but I'll be really happy to see the designs we did come to life," he said.

Del Toro did still sound a rueful note about his decision to pack his bags and return to Los Angeles without seeing "The Hobbit" through. "It is the hardest professional decision of my life," he said. "I still feel very emotional about it."

Roy Mustang

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:52 am

Yay! They're going to film in New Zealand!

[quote="Yahoo News"]WELLINGTON, New Zealand –]

Sauce
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:57 am

That's excellent news! I'm so excited that these movies are finally getting on track for good! XD

Radical Dreamer

Previous

Return to General Entertainment