Peter Jackson will direct The Hobbit after all!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Peter Jackson will direct The Hobbit after all!

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Peter Jackson WILL be directing The Hobbit after all!

Sci Fi Wire wrote:What we hoped would happen, but didn't dare to think actually would, seems to be coming true. Peter Jackson, who pulled off the impossible with the Lord of the Rings trilogy, has decided to direct two installments of The Hobbit after all, Deadline New York reports.

Earlier this month, after Guillermo del Toro quit his Hobbit directing gig, Jackson said his taking over was unlikely due to current commitments. But he did leave open a slim possibility—and we say "slim" because he sounded a bit reluctant—by saying: "If that's what I have to do to protect Warner Brothers' investment, then obviously that's one angle which I'll explore."

Apparently, explore he did, because his deal is reportedly being negotiated right NOW with Warner Brothers, New Line and MGM.

There are no further details as yet, other than the fact that Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are scheduled to head to London the week of July 4, after which they'll be going to Los Angeles to meet with the actors who've impressed them the most from those that have been taped by casting directors.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Well it's about time PJ made up his mind!
Yamamaya

Postby Ante Bellum » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:49 pm

Huh. Didn't know he might not have directed. Either way, this is good news, right?
Ante Bellum

Postby ADXC » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Sweet, can't wait.
ADXC

Postby TGJesusfreak » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:28 pm

I will go see this movie in theaters. Definitely. :thumb:
TGJesusfreak

Location: USA... Earth... the milky way galaxy... the universe...

Postby Rocketshipper » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm still dissapointed that Guillermo quit. I would have loved to see how he'd have directed the movies.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Rocketshipper (post: 1403905) wrote:I'm still dissapointed that Guillermo quit. I would have loved to see how he'd have directed the movies.

I wouldn't say a remake is totally out of the question - it's just at least 10 to 15 years off. That will let him get even better at directing. XD
Mithrandir

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:15 am

NO FREAKING WAY. AAAAHHH BEST DAY. That is seriously SO AWESOME and is EXACTLY what I was hoping for when I learned Del Toro would be stepping down! SO EXCITING. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:08 am

I really didn't want Jackson directing this...

If he keeps the tone the same as the LOTR, it just wouldn't work. The Hobbit was written as a childrens book more or less. It felt a lot lighter, more colorful, and adventurous. I'm afraid Jackson is gonna try and make it more in sync with his LOTR trilogy and IMO, that would ruin The Hobbit.

I was REALLY looking forward to del Toro directing this as he would have brought a fresh and imaginative new look to it. Pan's Labyrinth captured that childrens story book like feel very well... I thought he was perfect to bring this to life.

And if Jim Henson were still alive, I'd actually prefer him do it over Jackson. His Storyteller series is amazing and more of how I'd have liked to have seen a Hobbit film adapted... albeit with a much higher budget.

Oh well... it may still be all right but I'm not getting my hopes up. I mean Jacksons style was perfect for LOTR... The Hobbit.. not so much unless he can adapt.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:21 am

Scarecrow (post: 1404118) wrote:I was REALLY looking forward to del Toro directing this as he would have brought a fresh and imaginative new look to it. Pan's Labyrinth captured that childrens story book like feel very well... I thought he was perfect to bring this to life.

You'rejoking aboutPan's Labyrinth, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:37 am

Yes!!!! That is AMAZING!!!! I'm so happy.....
Atria35

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:43 am

Yes! No! Yes! No! Oh, PJ, please stop teasing my heart, so. It aches when you play with me like this.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby wildpurplechild » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:56 am

I'm just glad they've finaly started making the Hobbit into a live action movie. I have been waiting years for this! I think if anyone can pull it off it's Jackson, though I wish Del Toro would have stayed with it.

Also, Bob's right. I watched part of Pan's Labrinth in school and I wouldn't call it any where near a childrens story.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby ich1990 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:15 am

I too am sad that del Toro is being replaced by Peter Jackson. Still, out of any of the replacements that I can think of, Jackson is probably the best.

Bobtheduck (post: 1404126) wrote:You'rejoking aboutPan's Labyrinth, right?

Someone hasn't seen or read Monster. A "children's story book" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people, and that "feel" doesn't always have to be used in the entertainment of children.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:31 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1404126) wrote:You'rejoking aboutPan's Labyrinth, right?

A lot of aspects of it really did feel like a children's book, specifically in the ways the story was approached and told, if it was just more of a children's story for adults.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:33 am

ich1990 (post: 1404141) wrote:I too am sad that del Toro is being replaced by Peter Jackson. Still, out of any of the replacements that I can think of, Jackson is probably the best.

Someone hasn't seen or read Monster. A "children's story book" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people, and that "feel" doesn't always have to be used in the entertainment of children.

Hobbit is a Children's book. Made for Children. Not just that it has a Children's book feel. I'm not all that sure about Del Toro with an actual Children's book. Otherwise the same logic can apply to things like Happy Tree friends... And Naru taru (but THAT'S a different story altogether.) I wouldn't put either creator to work on an adapting a Children's book to cartoons, for instance. Not without seeing proof they can handle it properly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:53 am

I take it you didn't like Pan's Labyrinth, then.

I was hoping that they'd get Jackson when Del Toro left, just because I really didn't think there was anyone else out there that could handle the project well. But I really wanted to see what Del Toro could do. It's not that I don't like Jackson, but The Hobbit ain't Lord of the Rings and it doesn't need to be. It's a totally different feel. Tolkien's writing styles in those two books are like night and day.

Also have you read The Hobbit lately? It's not exactly sunshine and rainbows even though it was meant for children.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:31 pm

ITT: People who think LOTR isn't also a children's story.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:44 pm

I am sorta sad and happy. I really wanted to see del toro's vision but his art is still gonna be there so it'll hopefully be awesome
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Nate » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:38 pm

I think no matter who directs this movie, the fans win.

It would've been interesting to see del Toro's take, but I don't think anyone can say that having Jackson do it is a bad idea.

Nate

Postby Rocketshipper » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm also a bit skeptical about them making this two movies. I can understand the desire to try and put as much of the book in as possible, to avoid the wrath of scary fans, but the Hobbit really isn't *that* long to begin with, definitly not as long as any one of the LOTR books, and I worry a bit that these movies might end up being a little padded. I thought the animated Hobbit movie was pretty good, it left some things out but the majority of the important stuff was in it.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:53 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1404151) wrote:I take it you didn't like Pan's Labyrinth, then.

Also have you read The Hobbit lately? It's not exactly sunshine and rainbows even though it was meant for children.

It's not that they didn't like Pan's Labryth, it's just that it obviously isn't a movie meant for children (I suggest clicking the links provided in that particular statement for further clarification).

And while Hobbit may not be sunshine and rainbows, it is a far, FAR cry from the violence and morals of traditional children's fairytales. I mean, it was written while the idea of Disneyfication was only beginning to take hold....
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:27 pm

I can't wait for this!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:51 pm

I didn't mean Pan's Labyrinth was made for Children....

A lot of aspects of it really did feel like a children's book, specifically in the ways the story was approached and told, if it was just more of a children's story for adults.

This...

And while yes the Hobbit is a lot lighter, I think Del Toro would have been good at approaching the hobbit like a children's storybook. It's not all flowers and rainbows no. You can make something as dark and violent as you want and still have it feel like a children's storybook (though that doesn't mean the story itself is for children).

Another movie that was made for adults but is set up like a dark children's storybook is Running Scared. Although I don't think they were successful really, they were obviously going for that watching the credits and stated it in interviews and stuff. If the whole film felt more like the credits, the movie would have hit it's mark much more successfully at being a dark childrens story for adults but that's what they were going for (though I don't think they)

Running Scared End Credits

The film "Trick R Treat" was also approached as like a collection of really dark Children's story... for adults. There are some aspects I REALLY liked in this film but as a whole, it wasn't that great but I'm not a huge horror fan. I did love the atmosphere and stuff though.

Trick R Treat trailer

There's a difference between being made for children and having the atmosphere and structure of a children's story book while the story and content itself is very much adult.

Not that I would want Del Toro to make the Hobbit and all dark and stuff... but I think he would have approached it like a children's storybook (the tone, atmosphere, structure etc) more so than Jackson will who will probably make it fit more in with his LOTR trilogy.

But really, I'll see it regardless. I mean, if Del Toro didn't do it, I can't think of anyone else who I'd want to see touch it aside from Jackson.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:24 pm

So I wonder where the cut off point will be for Part 1 of the Hobbit. Perhaps when the dwarves get imprisoned by the Elves of Mirkwood?
Yamamaya

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1404118) wrote:If he keeps the tone the same as the LOTR, it just wouldn't work. The Hobbit was written as a childrens book more or less. It felt a lot lighter, more colorful, and adventurous. I'm afraid Jackson is gonna try and make it more in sync with his LOTR trilogy and IMO, that would ruin The Hobbit.

I was REALLY looking forward to del Toro directing this as he would have brought a fresh and imaginative new look to it. Pan's Labyrinth captured that childrens story book like feel very well... I thought he was perfect to bring this to life.
I agree that I really wanted to see Guillermo del Toro direct The Hobbit, even if it meant it would take longer to see his take on Frankenstein, which I believe will be his magnum opus. However, I do think The Lovely Bones demonstrates that Peter Jackson has a solid grasp on the dynamics of fairy tales, including the elements of monstrosity, and the existential anxieties and traumas of coming of age. The film was panned by critics, but they failed to see that like any good fairy tale, the narrative can function on many levels to give many different messages. Indeed, I can convincingly argue that the film draws from Buddhist, Christian, Existentialist, Feminist, Punk, Glam, Proto-Goth, Psychedelia and 60's Counter-Culture, and other related sources. As such, this film had a stronger personal impact than any other film released in 2010, rivaled only by Splice and Alice in Wonderland.
GhostontheNet

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Nate (post: 1404170) wrote:ITT: People who think LOTR isn't also a children's story.

And your definition of "children's story" is...?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Can we just admit now that this movie is never going to get made?

Peter Jackson running into union trouble
The International Federation of Actors, along with the Screen Actors Guild, is discouraging actors to work on the film because of the non-union labor in New Zealand. This is serious business for SAG: Essentially, actors who work on the film, like McKellen and Weaving, would be in violation of the union's bylaws and subject to expulsion from the union.

Nate

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:10 pm

I think I accepted that this movie wasn't going to happen when the lawsuits started way back in the day.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:42 pm

Labor unions ruin everything.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Next

Return to General Entertainment