Horror Movies!!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:20 am

Chrysolite (post: 1407039) wrote:I guess it doesn't really count as a 'horror' movie, but I think everyone should see Deep Blue Sea. The effects may be a little dated, but I think the overall quality of it was far above most thriller/monster movies of its type, and it was full of Christian undertones.

O.o It was? One was a preacher and that was about it.... and he swore like a sailor...

That was a good movie though... I remember watching that in theaters. I don't think I've seen a movie since where the whole audience jumped in unison in three different parts. Had a lot of surprises that kind of went against the norm for movies like this. Very entertaining movie that I actually prefer to Jaws. Even if Jaws was a bit more believable.

Speaking of Jaws and Deep Blue Sea... I wanna see that new Piranha 3D. Looks like a fun B-grade monster fish movie that knows it's a B-grade monster fish movie so it doesn't take itself seriously. Early reviews from fans of these type of horror films seem to be pretty positive too. Loved the new poster for it too...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Chrysolite » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:34 am

O.o It was? One was a preacher and that was about it.... and he swore like a sailor...
Well, that's why I said Christian undertones. It wasn't a Christian movie, but it's rare enough for mainstream movies like this to even nod at the idea of God, let alone have a character who prays throughout the film and makes Biblical references to how his plight resembles that of people in the Bible. Besides, the guy (who was a cook, by the way) acknowleged himself that he wasn't exactly a model believer. I don't quite remember, but I think one of the first things he said to God near the beginning when the shark issue was first kicked off was a prayer of repentence where he was saying something like, "Please get me out of this, and I promise I'll stop drinking" or something like that. :jump:
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:56 am

Deep Blue Sea wasn't a good movie but it was a lot of fun. There are a gazillion better horror/thrillers out there but there are also a quadrillion-gazillion much, much worse.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Chrysolite » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:52 am

Well, I liked it. For me personally, at any rate, it was far more poignant than most similar movies I've seen (and admittedly I haven't seen too many).

why destroy yourself?

Chrysolite

Postby Wolf-man » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:04 am

I like Deep Blue Sea. i agree its not a great film but it did do a good job with what it was trying to accomplish. It was a fun horror/thriller/action movie. Where I don't agree that some guy who talks to God in a way that is used as comic relief, constitutes Christian undertones; it was still a good movie.
Wolf-man

Postby Chrysolite » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:12 pm

I don't mean to sound rude or impertinent, but I would argue that...[spoiler]a character who talks to God throughout the movie, is one of the two people who survives, kills two of the three sharks and escapes the jaws of one of them by stabbing it in the eye with a cross that he wears around his neck, COMPLETELY qualifies as a Christian undertone.[/spoiler]I'm glad you agree that it's a good movie, though. :)

why destroy yourself?

Chrysolite

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:39 am

Anyone seen the trailer for the Let the right one in Remake yet? Looks interesting
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:03 pm

Hey so its getting close to Halloween so i feel as though a Bump! is in order

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:42 am

In order to prep for the season, I have ordered The Excorcism of Emily Rose from the library! :)
Atria35

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:05 am

Yesterday I went on a bit of a horror movie marathon thanks to Netflix.

First, I rewatched Session 9. It's a little-known film, a cult film really. It takes place at and is shot at Danvers State Hospital, which is more or less the reason I watched it in the first place (I have an interest in abandoned buildings). I recommend it if you like a good suspense/dread film-- it builds slowly to a pretty disturbing climax. The scenes of violence are more...shall we say...effective since there are few of them. David Caruso is in it, though-- glad I saw it for the first time before he became an internet meme, or I don't think I'd have been able to get engrossed in the movie. I'd keep expecting him to put his sunglasses on.

Anyway, after that I finally watched Suspiria. It definitely has some problems-- the dubbing, for one. Pretty distracting. The music is also very distracting. I think the composers were trying to create another Tubular Bells, but it didn't work out so well. The biggest problem is that the plot is just kind of silly. There was one scene that grossed me out, but other than that, this movie wasn't really scary at all. I did enjoy the sets and the cinematography, though.

After some debate, I decided to watch Eraserhead. I-- I kind of wish I hadn't. This makes the second film to terrify me as an adult. This movie is literally like watching someone else's nightmare. Early in the film, I realized that it would do me no good to try to figure out what was going on and why characters did what they did-- it is all one big dream sequence. There isn't really a "plot" in the traditional sense. It's very surreal, very slow-moving, and VERY psychologically disturbing. I do appreciate that the director was able to convey dream imagery so effectively, and the cinematography is a sight to behold. But I CANNOT recommend this film to anyone.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:20 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1425537) wrote:Yesterday I went on a bit of a horror movie marathon thanks to Netflix.

First, I rewatched Session 9. It's a little-known film, a cult film really. It takes place at and is shot at Danvers State Hospital, which is more or less the reason I watched it in the first place (I have an interest in abandoned buildings). I recommend it if you like a good suspense/dread film-- it builds slowly to a pretty disturbing climax. The scenes of violence are more...shall we say...effective since there are few of them. David Caruso is in it, though-- glad I saw it for the first time before he became an internet meme, or I don't think I'd have been able to get engrossed in the movie. I'd keep expecting him to put his sunglasses on.

Anyway, after that I finally watched Suspiria. It definitely has some problems-- the dubbing, for one. Pretty distracting. The music is also very distracting. I think the composers were trying to create another Tubular Bells, but it didn't work out so well. The biggest problem is that the plot is just kind of silly. There was one scene that grossed me out, but other than that, this movie wasn't really scary at all. I did enjoy the sets and the cinematography, though.

After some debate, I decided to watch Eraserhead. I-- I kind of wish I hadn't. This makes the second film to terrify me as an adult. This movie is literally like watching someone else's nightmare. Early in the film, I realized that it would do me no good to try to figure out what was going on and why characters did what they did-- it is all one big dream sequence. There isn't really a "plot" in the traditional sense. It's very surreal, very slow-moving, and VERY psychologically disturbing. I do appreciate that the director was able to convey dream imagery so effectively, and the cinematography is a sight to behold. But I CANNOT recommend this film to anyone.

I have done my fair share of marathons thanks to Netflixs me and some friends are working out way through a book called Horror movie freaks a book i recommend

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Tarnish » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Anyway, after that I finally watched Suspiria. It definitely has some probl

Also, Parents. One of my favorite movies ever.
Tarnish

Postby Atria35 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:44 am

^ lol.

In any case, I know I could always watch some Hitchcock for some scary things, but....

Are there any more modern horror movies that anyone would recommend? I'm into more psychological horror, like Excorcism of Emily Rose, and Hitchcock, and I've also enjoyed movies like The Shining, and Rose Red.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 am

Atria35 (post: 1425776) wrote:^ lol.

In any case, I know I could always watch some Hitchcock for some scary things, but....

Are there any more modern horror movies that anyone would recommend? I'm into more psychological horror, like Excorcism of Emily Rose, and Hitchcock, and I've also enjoyed movies like The Shining, and Rose Red.
I admit up front that I like movies with lots of psychological horror but little violence, sexuality, or gore, so my recommendations will reflect that. Films within each category are in no particular order.

Great films:

The Ring
The Others
The Sixth Sense

Good films:

The Grudge
Signs
Alien
The Village
Session 9

Okay films:

Moth-man Prophecies
The Skeleton Key

Old but great films:

The Black Cat
The House on Haunted Hill
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:49 am

I second The Sixth Sense, Alien, and Session 9.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 pm

ich1990 (post: 1425802) wrote:I admit up front that I like movies with lots of psychological horror but little violence, sexuality, or gore, so my recommendations will reflect that. Films within each category are in no particular order.

ShiroiHikari (post: 1425804) wrote:I second The Sixth Sense, Alien, and Session 9.

Ah! I totally forgot that I've seen Sixth Sense!:sweat: Great film!
And I will definitely look into these others. Thanks!
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Well, I've selected the movie I'm going to watch on Halloween: Shiver, which was recommended to me by all you great horror buffs! I'm looking forward to possible nightmares and chills down my spine, being the pansy that I am :lol:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:52 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1426893) wrote:Well, I've selected the movie I'm going to watch on Halloween: Shiver, which was recommended to me by all you great horror buffs! I'm looking forward to possible nightmares and chills down my spine, being the pansy that I am :lol:

Sweet my recommendation ! Lol its a pretty good film. A little slow but still pretty well done and parts are creepy. Anyone seen the trailers for Frozen yet. I getting so hyped but i love the director so i gotta see it.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:58 am

Well. I have a new list of favorite horror films:

The Excorcist
The Shining
Rose Red
The Grudge (both Japanese and American versions)
The Ring (both American and Japanese versions)
Trick 'r Treat

Trick 'r Treat was perhaps the best Halloween scary film I've seen, since it entirely revolves around what happens one Halloween night. Lots of good scares, with four intertwining stories making for one good film. But they all are good films.
Atria35

Postby Doubleshadow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:26 pm

*zip*

Someone said horror movies!

I love psychological horror, but can handle gore as long as it's realistic. What appeals to me in horror is what says about the fears of a group or an individual. For example, Frankenstein was scary because the advances of sciences during that era were very frightening to people. It remains scary now not because people don't understand science and it's limits, but because people do.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby TWWK » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm trying to get my wife to watch Alien with me...possibly my favorite horror movie of all time. And then to watch Aliens, which is one of my favorite action movies ever!
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Wolf-man » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:55 pm

Oh yay! My topic has been revived! Yes it is that time of month, kiddies. October. The month when all us Horror fans get to relish in our fanbase. I am so excited for this year. I am going to see a slew of films I haven't seen yet.
New Films for me:
Repo! The Genetic Opera
An American Werewolf in London
The Shining
Trick R' Treat
Carrie
Nosferatu: The Vampyre
The Orphanage
Shiver
Fright Night
and some others

I recently bought the 2010 remake of Nightmare on Elm Street. I like it even if others don't and I bought the Scream trilogy which is lots of fun. Can't wait for Scream 4. I got to see Resident Evil: Afterlife in theaters which was a treat. I might try to see if I can go see My Soul To Take but I don't know if I will be able to. AMC is going to be showing all the F13 films from 1 - Manhattan and The Walking Dead is going to premier. This is going to be a good October. Don't forget Scream Awards is Tuesday at 9:00 on Spike!
Wolf-man

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:22 am

For Reformation Day I'll most likely only watch Werner Herzog's Remake of Nosferatu, assuming I can get it back from a friend.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:04 am

Not exactly movies, but I just got the first two seasons of Tales from the Crypt in a 2-pack for $25. I never did watch the show (family didn't get HBO and even if we did, my parents would probably never have let me watch it), but having seen the first two episodes it's surprisingly good. Mindless pulp horror isn't really my scene, so I can't do a whole marathon session, but it looks decent for a once-in-a-while thing.

Oh, also I watched the original 13 Ghosts from 1960, and The Exorcist. Both were pretty good.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Previous

Return to General Entertainment