American Remake of the Death Note Movie?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

American Remake of the Death Note Movie?

Postby animeantics » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:36 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-06-02/vertigo-entertainment-developing-u.s-death-note-remake

I can't decide is this is a good idea or not.

I know Wikipedia isn't a reliable source whatsoever, but it's claiming that Zac Efron is playing Light Yagami.

*headdesk*

Noooooooo!!!!!
animeantics

Postby animeantics » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:52 pm

What do you guys think of this?
animeantics

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm pretty sure we already have a thread or five about this. Anyway, it'll probably be weird. I'm not a Death Note fan, so I can't say much more than that.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:37 pm

LadyRushia wrote:I'm pretty sure we already have a thread or five about this.

There was one, as it was what was posted what ANN said this summer. But how knows where that thread is now anyway.

Ans so for, there hasn't been any news on casting at all for the movie.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Osirilen » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:20 pm

I really don't care. To be honest I wasn't a fan of the Deathnote movies at all, so I doubt an American remake would really be all that great either.
Osirilen

Postby minakichan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:50 pm

I know Wikipedia isn't a reliable source whatsoever, but it's claiming that Zac Efron is playing Light Yagami.

*headdesk*

Noooooooo!!!!!

I could go into a rant about why Wikipedia is a superior reference source than more "reputable" alternatives, but I shall refrain. My media studies major side needs to shut up. However, the citation provided on Wiki is indeed unverified, so don't worry yet ^^

At the same time, I personally would not actually mind seeing Efron in this kind of role. We know he wants to branch out and that he frankly hates High School Musical. Depp and diCaprio started out as flimsy teen idol-ish figures, but they became highly accomplished and TALENTED. Of course, this might just be my bias because Efron's in that Orson Welles movie which I'm TOTALLY going to see (because Orson Welles is amazing); it's a serious drama-- the kind that teen girls would probably find dull-- and the reviews are actually GOOD.

Also, Zac Efron is Kira.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby animeantics » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:26 pm

Yes, I've noticed how Zac seems almost embarassed about High School Musical these days...

Oh well, I suppose it doesn't matter. If God wants him to get the role, he's going to get the role I might as well not rant :D
animeantics

Postby minakichan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:47 am

If God wants him to get the role, he's going to get the role I might as well not rant :D

Is it terrible that I suddenly had an image of this:

"Zachary. Zachary."
"Wh-wha? Who's there?"
"Zachary Efron. It is I, the Lord, your God."
"Oh God! Why do you speak to me? Tell me your message, so that I, Thy servant, may commit to your Word."
"In one month's time, there shall be auditions for Vertigo's adaption of the Death Note movie. You are to attend these auditions for the role of Light Yagami. This is My will."
"But Lord, what if I don't make it?"
"Oh ye of little faith! Believe in me, Zachary Efron, and my strength shall become yours!"

Pretty sure he's agnostic =/
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby RobinSena » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:02 am

animeantics (post: 1272242) wrote:I know Wikipedia isn't a reliable source whatsoever, but it's claiming that Zac Efron is playing Light Yagami.

Oh. God. No.

I haven't seen the Death Note movie, but why does America have to remake things like this? And if Zac Efron plays Light, I will quite probably jump off a building.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:03 am

The real question is not whether this is a good idea.

The production notes for the recent horror films Shutter and The Strangers both reveal that America's Vertigo Entertainment is developing a remake of the Death Note franchise

The real question is, who on EARTH liked these two stinkbombs enough to actually read through the production notes?!
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby animeantics » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:39 am

minakichan (post: 1272541) wrote:Is it terrible that I suddenly had an image of this:

"Zachary. Zachary."
"Wh-wha? Who's there?"
"Oh God! Why do you speak to me? Tell me your message, so that I, Thy servant, may commit to your Word."
"In one month's time, there shall be auditions for Vertigo's adaption of the Death Note movie. You are to attend these auditions for the role of Light Yagami. This is My will."
"Oh ye of little faith! Believe in me, Zachary Efron, and my strength shall become yours!"

Yeah, he is. I feel bad for him.
And Wooowww....that's, that's pretty funny!

I sure hope they don't try to make Death Note a Horror Movie, because it's not.
animeantics

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:36 am

minakichan (post: 1272541) wrote:Is it terrible that I suddenly had an image of this:

"Zachary. Zachary."
"Wh-wha? Who's there?"

</thread>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby animeantics » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:48 am

Savrit (post: 1272730) wrote:Regardless of what it may have said, Wikipedia doesn't list anything about Zac Efron portraying Light. I'd wager it was just early fallout from that joke site.

Anyway, we'll see how it turns out. Vertigo doesn't have a stellar track record with remakes, but if they get a good director it could work out well.

Yeah, you really can't trust wikipedia. You don't know how many times I've wikied a band and it'll say "I love *fill in the blank band members name*".

Um, I saw that when you wiki Death Note and scroll down into the "Live-Action Film" part of the article, although it may have been removed.

EDIT:Yes, the part about Zac has been removed.

I've heard Vertigo's films aren't that great, I'm kinda scared...
animeantics

Postby minakichan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:20 am

Regardless of what it may have said, Wikipedia doesn't list anything about Zac Efron portraying Light. I'd wager it was just early fallout from that joke site.

I removed it =)

\o/ for collaborative commons!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby animeantics » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks! :D
animeantics

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:35 pm

I think the Zach Efron as Light bit came from a regular article in Anime Insider Magazine that makes guesses as to who would be the best actors for an anime if it were made live action. The article is never meant to be taken seriously.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby minakichan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:42 pm

I think the Zach Efron as Light bit came from a regular article in Anime Insider Magazine that makes guesses as to who would be the best actors for an anime if it were made live action. The article is never meant to be taken seriously.

Oh cripes, I hate that magazine.

The Zac Efron/ Light Yagami thing has come up in a lot of places though, and often without relation. I know I saw it from at least 3 different unrelated instances on the Death Note LJ comm. =/

It'd be hysterical if it happened, but yeaaah I don't think so.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby animeantics » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:50 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1272858) wrote:I think the Zach Efron as Light bit came from a regular article in Anime Insider Magazine that makes guesses as to who would be the best actors for an anime if it were made live action. The article is never meant to be taken seriously.

Speaking of that, that same magazine said that Mitchell Musso from Hannah Montana should play Sasuke Uchiha if they ever made a live-action Naruto movie.

That magazine has serious problems.
animeantics

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:21 pm

As long as Gary Oldman is Light's father.
Fish and Chips

Postby animeantics » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Sorry, but who is that?!
I just saw a picture of him but who is he?
animeantics

Postby minakichan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:47 pm

As long as Gary Oldman is Light's father.

This.

With you, I can never tell if you're actually serious.

But yes.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby animeantics » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:55 pm

OH!
He played Sirius Black in HP.
Hmmm....
someone said George Clooney as Light's dad.

I don't think so.
animeantics

Postby HetalianKatana4 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:43 pm

animeantics (post: 1272242) wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-06-02/vertigo-entertainment-developing-u.s-death-note-remake

I can't decide is this is a good idea or not.

*headdesk*

Noooooooo!!!!!

Well, I think he can do it. I haven't seen all of "Charlie St. Cloud" but what I did see of it, I think he can carry intense emotion pretty well. I'm so tired of people putting Disney Channel and other teeny-bopper related stars down just because of how they became famous. I'm actually excited for the remake. The anime was a bit too violent for me but I loved the story and characters so I'm really excited :jump:
"Even when a girl is as shy as a mouse, you still have to beware of the tiger within."- random Chinese proverb

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BleachBlue04?feature=mhee

My FanFiction account:
https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4095232
HetalianKatana4

Location: Either in Narnia, Soul Society, or America...I'm indecisive :P

Return to General Entertainment