What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 31, 2006 8:11 pm

Recently watched "Godspell" which suprised me, because I actually liked it.
Arnobius

Postby Linksquest » Wed May 31, 2006 8:36 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Recently watched "Godspell" which suprised me, because I actually liked it.

I saw the actual drama of this, and I was a little mixed in my feelings towards it. At first I thought it was going to be something making fun of Christianity... which wasn't what it turned out to be about at all. It seemed more of an existential play of sorts... many things seemed disjointed and didn't really make much sense.

I had major issues with the end: [SPOILER] Jesus died... but they never showed a ressurection! [/SPOILER]

I don't know if/how the movie was different from the stage production... but now that you say you liked it... I may have to see it. :)
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Arnobius » Wed May 31, 2006 9:00 pm

Linksquest wrote:I saw the actual drama of this, and I was a little mixed in my feelings towards it. At first I thought it was going to be something making fun of Christianity... which wasn't what it turned out to be about at all. It seemed more of an existential play of sorts... many things seemed disjointed and didn't really make much sense.

I had major issues with the end: [SPOILER] Jesus died... but they never showed a ressurection! [/SPOILER]

I don't know if/how the movie was different from the stage production... but now that you say you liked it... I may have to see it. :)

Well the movie was rather "Hippy-like", but it struck me as seeming like they were trying to be respectful although in a weird sort of way. Once I got past that oddness, I liked it. Jesus wasn't portrayed as some wise man but as God's Son. Most of his lines (non-song) seemed to come straight from scripture.

There were a few instances that I thought were problematic... the one you mentioned being one of them, but I didn't think it seemed to be deliberate.

I haven't seen the stage production... from lyrics I saw on the internet, it made reference to philosophers and the like, but (presuming I didn't misunderstand these references in the lyrics) none of them showed up in the movie. It was basically the songs and Jesus' teachings.

Anyway now that someone says they want to see it on my say so I'm a bit nervous like "Gee, I hope I didn't give bad advice" ;)

I guess next I'll have to see Jesus Christ Super Star and compare
Arnobius

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:33 pm

Just saw 'V for Vendetta' at the cheap seats.

I quite liked it. Explosions, knife fights, yummy Hugo Weaving voice = yay!

Conservative bashing = not so much.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some :/
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Doe Johnson » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:49 pm

Just watched Over the Hedge yesterday.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby indyrocker » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:00 pm

last night on my date we went to see over the hedge soo funny!
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:30 pm

Have a movie night with a couple friends and watched Hecules and then Advent Children.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Yahshua » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:00 pm

Batman Begins.
Yahshua

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:33 pm

The Aviator.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:52 pm

Holes
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby soul alive » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:07 am

Sat in the room tonight while two of my dormmates watched 'Date Movie.' The horror, oh the horror.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby The Last Bard » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:37 am

Rush Hour 1 and 2, and Chronicles of Riddick. Not all at the same time, but that's what I'm going to be watching over the next few days.
The Last Bard

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:04 am

I plan on watching the 2nd Naruto movie today (anime yes, but still a movie^^)
Tenshi no Ai

Postby the_lizardqueen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:01 pm

Toy Story.

Y'know what's sad? I'm now realizing that there were some lines and scenes that flew over my head.

I wasn't even that young when it came out. I was ten!

Oo, wait...that would be a decade ago. *feels old* O_o
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Linksquest » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:07 pm

Today I watched Frequency, which is one of my all time favorites! I even made a thread about it :lol: I definately recommend it! http://www.christiananime.com/showthread.php?t=34151
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.

Linksquest

Postby Maledicte » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:16 pm

This Is Spinal Tap. Just bought it yesterday. I'm about halfway through it.

You know, that amp joke...really is funny. I thought the over-quoting would kill it.

Am I sad for finding their songs a bit catchy?
Maledicte

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:28 pm

Watched Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves with my friends for movie night. Heh, as cheesy as Disney is, what else would teach us that bananas are an excellent source of potassium?
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:49 pm

Watching "Walk the Line" right now. :thumb: Good movie!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Yojimbo » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:01 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:This Is Spinal Tap. Just bought it yesterday. I'm about halfway through it.

You know, that amp joke...really is funny. I thought the over-quoting would kill it.

Am I sad for finding their songs a bit catchy?

I lurve This is Spinal Tap!!!! Yeah I thought the same thing but I honestly do laugh everytime I hear Chris Guest say that. Sex Farm, Stonehenge, and Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight are too funny.

Go to spinaltapfan.com it's a great site for all things Spinal Tap. You can download alot of the songs too.
"You can't sit on the fence when it comes to Jesus, Satan owns the fence." Mark Cahill

2-151 D Co. Infantry (Air Assault)
Yojimbo

Postby Sai » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:49 pm

I watched Dreamer last night. It was decent but the same as every other horse movie.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby Arnobius » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:38 am

Finished watching Jesus Christ Superstar. I haven't decided whether it's the heresy of Adoptionism reborn or merely an incompetent rendering of Christ. I do suspect that Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code may have been more inspired by this than by all his "careful" "research."
Seems to be tainted with skepticism about who "the real Jesus" was supposed to be, with lyrics from Jesus in Gethsemane such as
[indent]Why, why should I die?
Oh, why should I die?
Can you show me now
That I would not be killed in vain?
Show me just a little
Of your omnipresent brain
Show me there's a reason
For your wanting me to die
You're far too keen on where and how
But not so hot on why
Alright I'll die!
Just watch me die!
See how, see how I die!
Oh, just watch me die!
[/indent]
Indicating the composers had no real understanding of the scriptures, doing violence to what was actually said in the Bible in an attempt to make a human Jesus.

Theology aside, I thought the performances in this movie (this is the 1973 version) was just horrible, with the exception of Carl Anderson who played Judas and had more talent than the rest of the cast combined.

I'd say skip this one and see Godspell instead. If you can get past the hippy garb, it at least seemed to be a sincere tribute, unlike this movie.
Arnobius

Postby Linksquest » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:46 pm

Today I watched X-men 3. It wasn't as good as I thought. I had high expectations for it. The action and the special effects were fabulous... the acting was also really good. The writing... was... sub-par IMHO.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby The Last Bard » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:55 pm

The New World - Which I'm going to watch tonight.
The Last Bard

Postby Sai » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:06 pm

Right now i am watching Spiderman 2. I strongly dislike MJ..
"Bother"
Sai

Postby Lady Arianrod » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:31 pm

I saw X-Men 3 recently. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I loved the Angel character. I've always been fascinated by the ability of flight.

I also saw The Lakehouse last weekend. It was a cute movie, and it was relatively clean when compared to other romance movies.
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:35 pm

On Sat my friends and I watched Mulan, and caught the last bit of Lady and the Tramp and Bringing Down the House on TV.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:48 pm

The New World... extreamly boring. Beautiful but boring. Watch the trailer... thats basically what the whole movie is like...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Linksquest » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:02 am

Scarecrow wrote:The New World... extreamly boring. Beautiful but boring. Watch the trailer... thats basically what the whole movie is like...

My parents and bros. started to watch it but said that it was "stupid" :lol: I guess you both pretty much thought the same thing.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby Aka-chan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:26 am

The Italian Job. I still need to finish it.
Aka-chan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:24 pm

Let's see...Within the past 3 days or so, I've watched Home Alone (both 1 and 2, don't ask me why), Cheaper By the Dozen, Big Fish, and The Last Samurai, the latter two being my favorite movies. My parents rented The Pink Panther, so I'll probably watch that tonight. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment