Classic Star War DVD set.....

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Classic Star War DVD set.....

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:50 am

For me, I can't wait for it, but I hope Lucas doesn't do anything stupid by adding Prequel stuff. Now, I did find a list of rumors, but I hope a number of ‘em stay rumors.

So, who can't wait? What do you want to see added? or removed? or scared of happening? or changed?
Link Antilles

Postby madphilb » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:34 pm

My guess is that it'll be the version they re-released a few years back, with the additional computer generated scenes.

Frankly I like these, I think they did a good job with them, as well as cleaning up some of the halos that come from all the old blue-screen stuff they used to do.

It'll be a good thing.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:43 pm

some of it doesnt sound too bad, like the saber FX being redone
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Tycho » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:13 pm

I don't know about these remakes. Reminds me of when I was watching the rerelease of RoTJ. The scene where Lando and Han argued about the Falcon had all these people watching behind them. Since it was a matte painting behind them, the bluescreen work stood out like a sore thumb. And anything they add in terms of new scenes will stand out terribly because of the better FX. I say leave it be. Lucas has tarnished the Star Wars trilogy enough.
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."
[Leela, Ship Operations AI, UESC Marathon]

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:56 pm

Hmm... I was wondering about the bloody arm... Though, that was one of the things that earned it a PG rating (which, at the time, was more akin to what PG-13 rating is now)

If this happens, it will give THAT MUCH MORE validity to the South Park spoof... **looks around nervously** NOT that I've ever watched it, or anything... **whistles**

Personally, I don't see many problems with this changes list... First off, at least a couple of these changes are to correct plotholes (like the bloody arm one) and some of them will just be interesting...

I think people's biggest beef with it is CG vs. Puppetry... I think that the CG lets it be closer to the original vision, because they were limited in motion with the puppets, even if the CG doesn't look the same as the puppets, and may stand out more... Think of it as seeing what Lucas wishes he COULD have done... Besides, for the hardcore fans, they STILL have their old video tapes... I've got both the originals and the remastereds... No THX ripoff, thankfully, but the signifigant changes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby shooraijin » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:18 pm

Yeah, I was displeased with the Jabba scene inserted into Episode IV -- he was too fluid, and while supposed to be a 'younger sprightlier' Jabba, he didn't have enough of the ponderousness of the motion of the RotJ puppet to really make himself menacing. Plus, CG figures just have this odd sheen to them which makes them stand out -- dunno if it's the specular highlights on them that are too *good*, or not enough film grain on them, or what, but they often stick out (even good CG done by alleged masters like ILM or Rhythm and Hues). I'd rather have animatronics.

I *did* appreciate the cleanup on the blue screen technique superimpositions, and the lightsabres look sharp, so it's not all bad, but the added CG scenes (for me) really detracted from the movies. In most places they were obviously superfluous, and in some they were visually outright discordant.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Tet-chan » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:46 am

I actually like the old star wars than the new.
I remember seeing some shops selling the old star wars movie
Tet-chan

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:44 am

You won't ever see the original Star Wars dvd, only the Special Editions.
My biggest complaint on the special editions is the new ending in Return of the Jedi. Totally changed everything.

I'm not in a big hurry to buy the dvds when they come out. Lucas has tarnished my SW fandom at the moment.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Tet-chan » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:55 am

Orange Kitten wrote:You won't ever see the original Star Wars dvd, only the Special Editions.
My biggest complaint on the special editions is the new ending in Return of the Jedi. Totally changed everything.

I'm not in a big hurry to buy the dvds when they come out. Lucas has tarnished my SW fandom at the moment.

New ending in the Return Of Jedi?
Is that true?
Tet-chan

Postby Ashley » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:40 am

They didn't change the ending, per se, as added on to it. In the special edition they gave you a lot of new scenes showing the empire collapsing around the galaxy. I didn't think it hurt anything at all; if anything, I loved it.
Ashley

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:12 pm

[quote="Ashley"]They didn't change the ending, per se, as added on to it. In the special edition they gave you a lot of new scenes showing the empire collapsing around the galaxy. I didn't think it hurt anything at all]

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure they changed the musical score at the end. I'll have to check my old vhs's to verify. But that requires me to dig up my original SW vhs
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:35 pm

Yeah, the musical score was the only thing actually changed the rest was add ons. I loved the extended ending of RotJ, it gives me goosebumps everytime. lol, I'm a starwars geek.
Link Antilles

Postby Ashley » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:56 pm

Aren't we all? @^__^@
Ashley

Postby Straylight » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:44 am

If it comes out on DVD, I'll definately be getting it. A while ago I asked someone in MVC (a big dvd retailer in the UK) and apparently the special editions will come out on dvd when the third episode has finished screening.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:35 pm

I've seen A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, but I never did see Return of the Jedi for some reason. I'll have to check it out when the DVD's arrive.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Rashiir » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:23 am

Besides, for the hardcore fans, they STILL have their old video tapes...

The problem is that VHS tapes go bad after enough plays...we want DVDs because they *will* last.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby Straylight » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:30 am

Yup, Rashiir has it. Also, I don't own a video player, just the DVD drive in my computer :)
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Return to General Entertainment