Peter Jackson's Next Project

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Peter Jackson's Next Project

Postby Archan » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:27 am

Hey,

Well with the Lord of The Rings saga coming to a close this Christmas, I felt it appropreate to post up this thread. One of the questions floating around in my head was....what will Peter Jackson do now? I got my answer sooner then I thought via Access Hollywood.

Turns out, Peter Jackson has signed on to do a re-make of a monster classic, King Kong.

Now I know some of you true veterans of the giant monster genre are fearful of another Godzilla inccident. Rest assured I share the same fears.

However, I must admit my fears are for the moment subdued by knowing Peter Jackson is on this project, a person whom has shown he can be true to a projects roots ala Lord Of the Rings, and not make a totally different version of King Kong (such as the 1987 {date may not be accurate} remake). In fact, he went on record in saying that 60-70% of the movie will take place on Skull Island, which makes my heart flutter in anticipation of dinosaurs and the famed King Kong, T-Rex fight.

To be perfectly honest, I am more then looking forward to this project, and more then praying that Jackson gets it right.

Also, other projects Jackson said he is interested ni was actually adapting "The Hobbit" into a film as well. But those right and plans have yet to be secured. For the moment, I wait in anticipation of Peter's take on the Eighth Wonder of the World.

Note: As soon as I find it, I'll post an offical link concerning this project.

God bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:24 am

Hmm... If the Hobbit is successful, shall we see other excursions into middle earth? The Silmarillion? History of Middle Earth? Um... I'd love to see more... And... Sleep (night message board, there's no one here but us ducks...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Shinja » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:38 am

yeah i heard abut the king kong remake, this is oing to be one of those that i really wont go see unless it really turns out to be good and everybody tells me to go. i really dont like remakes id much prefer to see new movies being made, but it seems like theyre running out of ideas.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby madphilb » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:07 am

Do we really need another King Kong remake? Frankly I can think of other movies/books he could do (well, not at this time, but...)

Everyone rags on Godzilla, I don't think it was that bad of a movie, but like many remakes lately it doen't follow the original to the letter. (but that's for another thread :thumb: )

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:03 am

A King Kong remake? :eyebrow: My question is: Why? Well, time will tell. A hobbit movie would be interesting.
Link Antilles

Postby Razgriz » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:57 am

The Silmarillion would be awesome.
Razgriz

Postby Straylight » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:59 am

I'm not sure the Silmarillion is movie material -- but I'd definately be looking forward to a Hobbit film
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Bunny » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:45 pm

I heard they were thinking of doing C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia as well. Who knows though. I think if they did go ahead with making those into movies, it would most definetly rival Harry Potter and what an improvement would be made to have a Christian series such as the TCON to knock Harry Potter out of first place with kids.
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

2 Samuel 6: 21&22

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Postby madphilb » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:41 pm

Narnia would be cool.... That would get my vote. So long as they did as good a job with it as with LOTR

PHIL
madphilb

Postby shooraijin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:59 pm

> I heard they were thinking of doing C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia as well.

One wonders how they would deal with the strong Christian subtext, though. I wonder if it would survive a secular rewrite ...
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Bunny » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:06 pm

Egh, I don't think they could cut it all out without destroying the plot... right?
"So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor."

"I am going to take this bucket of water and pour it on the flames of hell, and then I am going to use this torch to burn down the gates of paradise so that people will not love God for want of heaven or fear of hell, but because He is God."

Bunny

Woah...

Postby Archan » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:29 am

Heeeeyyyyy....

I just thought of a great ideal. Instead of replying to each individual, I'll reply to each topic that has been brought up (Only because alot of you guys reply to more then one existing topic in this thread, and I'd go nuts re-stating stuff....and though I'm already nuts :dizzy: , there's no need over do it now is there? Well, maybe there is but enough of that! :grin: )

Silmarillion & History of Middle Earth movie adaptations-

Most likely this wont happen. Being the Silmarillion and other text like it were actually rough notes and such written down by the late J.R.Tolkien considering where he would have taken his world. But after his death and the sucess of the Lord Of The Ring Saga, the publishers released the notes as books. But none of them are actual complete stories, and if done would probably be done with narration & by a diffrent studio.

Hobbit Movie-

As I said Jackson said he was interested, but I think one of the reasons he agreed to the King Kong movies was so his company (Weta...or, I think thats his company) and himself wouldn't only be affiliated with the Lord Of The Rings universe and be able to gain rights to other projects. Because of this, I don't think Hobbit wil be done for quite a while.

Narnia Universe-

Oh, wow, what can I say. If this project where to ever be contemplated, it would most likely be as a Tv series. I say this only because unlike the three books in the Lord Of the Rings Saga....Narnia has seven!

The only possible way I could see it happening, is if two novels were melted into one movie, dividing it close enough to make a trilogy. Even then if this were done then I'm afraid there would be more then considerable editing. And not just christian stuff, I mean the whole story all together.

On a personal note though yes, I would LOOOVVVEEEE to see something finally kill the whole Harry Potter craze, and what better then a giant Lion? :grin:

American Godzilla-

Actually, the movie was alot of fun, and it had some very nice visuals. I just think they shouldn't have named the Monster Godzilla, cause the monster wasn't Godzilla. If this was done, I have a feeling the movies would have done much better then it did. And by the way, the studio which did Godzilla (Centropolis) is no more. Eight Legged Freaks was pretty much their last film.

Back to KING KONG-

Do we need another King Kong remake? Probablly as much as we need another Star Wars prequel ;)

And like I said, I do have my fears that King Kong wont be King Kong just like Godzilla wasn't Godzilla.....but being the Director has proven himself to be loyal to an ideals original context, and not a re-visionist, my fears are momentarily subdued. For me my biggest hopes are seeing a great CGI sequence of King Kong fighting a T-Rex to save the dashing Damsel in distress. That and I'm a big fan of the 1933 Kong film (I still hail it as being one of the best movies to date). And being Peter Jackson (Whom has come to be one of my favorite directors) is taking on one of my most coveted films, I can't help but crack a nice huge grin... ^___________^

That and like I said, 70% of the film will take place on Skull Island, meaning you wont get the usual Giant Monster Terrorizing the city bit (though I still like those), which makes me more then happy enough. And even better, I just learned the time frame will be 1933 old New York...how cool is that!!! Hey I said I'd find an article didn't I? Hold on a minute...

Here ya go...

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/392/392468p1.html?fromint=1

http://www.moviecitygeek.com/arrays/king_kong.htm

And though this article is more then outdated, it has a link to the Script Jackson wrote more then several years ago.

http://www.aboyd.com/kong/jacksonkong.html#

(Note, This Script is subject to change..this has been proved by Jackson himself)

And Thats it, I'm gonna go read this script now though but I plead for those of you whom do read the script, don't post any spoilers here, but feel free to comment on your overall approval or dissapproval kay?

Jackson with Prototype Kong & T-Rex

Laters...

God Bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby Bunny » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:52 pm

I don't know about the TV series deal. Star wars gets by at least 6, so you just never know. It would be tragic to see Narnia chopped up like the media would have it, though.

Bunny

Postby MasterDias » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:24 pm

A movie based on "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" is already in production or at least the beginning stages. Target release date is somewhere in 2005, I believe. It's being produced by Walden media(Holes, Ghosts of the Abyss, Around the World in Eighty Days) and according to Yahoo Movies, the top contender for distribution rights is Walt Disney Pictures.

http://narnia.com/

If this one is successful, they will probably do the other Narnia books as well.

I think it'll work pretty well. After all, the Harry Potter series will be around seven or so books when it's finished and I know for a fact that movies are going to be made based on all of them.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:45 am

Hmm... The strong christian subtext can be ignored, as BBC did when they made their adaptation so many years ago. However:

Stated Gresham, "It has been our dream for many years not simply to make a live-action version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but to do so while remaining faithful to the novel. We are delighted to make this film with Walden Media, which we are confident will create the adaptation that my stepfather would have wanted."

I really want to see it go all the way to book 7... Of course, I wonder what order they'll go in... I prefer the order it was written, and thankfully that appears to be what they're doing (because modern compilations put it with Magician's Nephew first because it occured first chronologically, I don't like it in Chronological order because I think it makes more sense the original way, with Lion first, Horse and His boy fifth and Magician's Nephew sixth... They were written in that order for a reason, even if C.S. Lewis did change his mind later on... I don't care if he EXPLICITLY REQUESTED the order be changed (which I don't think he did) because the way it was written was better, IMNSHO.

Am I alone on this? Doesn't anyone else think that reading the magicians nephew first removes some of the mystery and poignancy of Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe? [spoiler=Chronicles of Narnia] I mean, learning about the origins of the white witch, and the lamp tree and a lot of other things ruin the effect of reading LWatW for the first time? I think it would... [/spoiler] Modern movies prove things don't ALWAYS have to be in completely chronological order... Don't force something that wasn't meant to be that way...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Bunny » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:55 pm

I actually read The Magician's Nephew first and I don't think it ruins anything. I liked it that way, course I didn't know there was another way it was supposed to be read until now either.

Bunny

Postby madphilb » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:19 pm

I'm a bit mixed on that idea.... take the Myst books, they worked backwards (and it worked well)... well, the 1st two books did anyway.

To further drag this post in the wrong direction, are you all aware that they are having new Narnia books written, but without using Christian authors? If interested PM me and I'll post a thread with the article from the NY Times (I think I still have it around here on my HD).

PHIL
madphilb

Return to General Entertainment