Movie Trilogies

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Movie Trilogies

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:34 pm

Okay, with the Matrix done and over with and T3 coming out on DVD I was thinking about trilogies. There are a few out there that I can remember and really like.

What are some of your favorites?

My favorite has to be the Terminator trilogy - unless they make a fourth movie like they did with Alien because the third one was so crappy. Can I say that? :drool:

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby inkhana » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:43 pm

As will be oft said from here on:

Star Wars! :thumb:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby inkhana » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:47 pm

:sweat: How could I forgot LoTR? So far that has been awesome! :thumb:

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:50 pm

Star Wars, Indiana Jones. Although I didn't really like the second Indy movie. LOTR will be awesome when it's complete, I have great faith in that.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby shooraijin » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:54 pm

Indy, all the way. If they ever get #4 done, I'm rarely one of the wait-in-line-for-the-first-ticket type people, but I will be for that one.

The Terminator trilogy was good also, although there are definitely lots of hooks in T3 to allow for a T4, so I bet once Arnold's finished with politics we'll get the final chapter and the presumed end of Skynet. (Plot summary for T2 courtesy PC Gamer: "The Governor of California travels through time to protect a constituent." :grin: )
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Shinja » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:40 am

the 3 best trillogies are, star wars, back to the future, and the treminator
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:44 am

The Classic Star Wars, Indy, Matrix, and I would say Jurassic Park, but the third one ruined 'em. Why did Spielberg let some rookie director direct and not base it on a Michael Crichton book, it ending being a violent kids movie.
Link Antilles

Postby Solid Ronin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:45 am

Mattbot wrote:Lord of the rings will be one which rocks. :thumb: Karate kid! Which started out strong with 2 solids and then not so good on the number three. NINJA TURTLES!!! Once again, first 2 strong, last one, weak. It seems to be a rare breed of trilogy that holds strong all the way through... Matrix the first was the only real notable one. Star wars, the first three, pulled it off, and I think lord of the rings will, as well as Indiana Jones. The trifecta is difficult!
mattbot

YEAH GUY TMNT are awesome the fiirst was the best and now that Peter Laird has more say so in the new toon as well as anything TMNT related if there is a new movie it will be more like the first in fact theres a TMNT hallmark movie coming soon
Solid Ronin

Postby madphilb » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:03 am

Finally, someone mentions Back to the Future! Great series.

I'm drawing a blank on anything else (non mentioned).

PHIL
madphilb

Postby true_noir_chloe » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:58 am

I really like Indiana Jones too, but I the second one kind of ruined it for me. :shady: I didn't like that one at all. Star Wars - all three were great. :thumb: I liked Jurassic Park too, except the second again I think fell flat. I liked the third one because Dr. Grant was back in the starring role where he needed to be.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:24 am

Oh, I like Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future was one of my favorite series ever.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Razgriz » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:56 am

LOTR, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars.
Razgriz

Postby Ashley » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:03 am

Back to the Future, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones,The Matrix...all great stuff to me.
Here's the best book trilogy you've never heard of: The Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. A good gypsy I know of gave it to me for Christmas last year, and it was awesome.
Is it just me, or do trilogies usually hit a low point with the 2nd movie?
Ashley

Postby shooraijin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:30 am

Oh, Back to the Future ... I forgot about that!

Some people call Star Trek II/III/IV the "trilogy" since they're all one large connected story, and myself I'm fond of those too (though my favourite Trek movie is VI, followed closely by First Contact and IV).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:12 pm

Hmm... a very interesting thread, by the way.

I'd have to say my only ones are the original Star Wars trilogy (we'll see if I, II and III get on), the Matrix, and Lord of the Rings, though it technically isn't a trilogy yet.

Oh, and while this is not quite true to the original intent: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's a great "trilogy."
uc pseudonym

Postby Stephen » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:22 pm

hmm....I love the original Star Wars Trilogy...Back to the future is another good one. Indy of course...Terminator and Matrix as well as LOTR make spots on my list too...however as of late...I would have to say my favorite trilogy at the moment...(Star Wars will always be #1 with me) Is the Crow Trilogy. The Crow, Crow:City Of Angels (hated this movie..nasty content and lousy movie overall) and Crow-Salvation(as good as the original)
Stephen

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:52 am

Gotta say the Alien Trilogy is the top in my favorites ( I like to pretend the 4th was never made)

Alien: Set a new bar for female heroines in movies. Very successful for it's unique alien anatomy and story.

Aliens: Went into more depth about the alien's lifestyle (queen and nest) with EXCELLENT action and story development. Aliens did to Alien what Terminator 2 did for Terminator. (Both sequals directed by James Cameron)

Alien 3: Though not quite as good as the first 2 (some may argue otherwise), it was a pretty decent ending to the saga. I thought it had the most comedy in it; there are plenty of great quotes. Nothing left open at the end, the story was completely closed (as many trilogies should)

Reason's Alien Resurrection failed: First off, they totally skewed the story line. The first 3 had a linear sequence where one took place right after the other. This one stands more by itself, though still requires at least some background to enjoy it. Not a good mix.
Second, most Aliens fans did not enjoy the new story, as it was completely different from the others. (most fans of something don't like much change from the original)
Third: Most people who were new to the Aliens saga didn't like it mainly cause the story was just bad. Character development sucked, so you didn't care about anyone, plus the action wasn't very exciting. And it had some bad lines.

Now go and watch Alien: Director's Cut while it's still re-released in the theaters!

- Pete
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Spiritsword » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:01 pm

The original Star Wars trilogy and Indiana Jones. Yeah, the second Indy movie wasn't as good, but in my opinion The Empire Strikes Back was the best of the original three Star Wars movies.

The Terminator movies are pretty good too, and so far I've enjoyed the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Spiritsword

Postby Ashley » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:28 pm

Yeah, Empire has to be the exception to the "second = blah" rule. Well, I also thought the 2nd Back to the Future was the most thought provoking. And after seeing Revolutions, I liked Reloaded better too...wow, I guess there are a LOT of exceptions in my book.
Ashley

Postby The Silence » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:03 pm

as far as I'm concerned, the star wars movies outside of the original trilogy do not exist... - -;
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:21 pm

[quote="The Silence"]as far as I'm concerned, the star wars movies outside of the original trilogy do not exist... - -]

I agree. There were so many bad things in episodes 1 and 2.
Biggest problem is that Lucas changed his target audience and made it for kids. The originals were for young adults.
The retarded comic relief really drove the movies into the dirt. Bad acting (or really bad LINES. Not even the greatest actors can make a bad script sound good), overuse of special effects, and a script that should be burned made Ep1 & 2 what they are.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:23 am

I'm not quite as negative about Episodes I and II... though I wouldn't say they're masterpieces. Comic relief... grrr.

I'd say Reloaded also somewhat breaks the Middle Slump Rule. Actually, after seeing Revolutions, I'd have to say it nearly competes with the original as my favorite of the series (you see, I'm not quite as awestruck by the introduction of a good idea). If not for the Zion scene, it might get even closer (and if the Smith fight was just a bit shorter).
uc pseudonym

Postby Shinja » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:49 am

yeah star wars was the best group of movies ever till they started makeing the prequils, they tainted it for ever. i still love the original 3 but starwars as a whole isnt as awsome as it used to be because of the prequils.
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby The Silence » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:39 pm

-covers face and moans- there are no starwars prequals there are no starwars prequals there are no starwars prequals there are no starwars prequals there are no starwars prequals... mutter mutter
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:47 pm

I see that no one's mentioned Crocodile Dundee.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby shooraijin » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:49 pm

And no one will. My mom is Australian and she's already disowned him (mostly because he skipped out on his wife, who stuck by him through thick and thin, for that blonde bombshell Linda Kozwalski-whatever from the movies), not to mention the fact that Crocodile Dundee in LA ... stunk.

shooraijin

Postby Straylight » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:05 pm

I agree about the whole Star Wars thing -- the originals are many times better.

Anyone here a fan of the Die Hard trilogy?
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:01 pm

djnoz wrote:I agree about the whole Star Wars thing -- the originals are many times better.

Anyone here a fan of the Die Hard trilogy?

The first was the best. The second was pretty much the same thing but still good, with a slightly altered story. The third wasn't AS good, but entertaining. Samuel Jackson added a nice touch.

Right now I own only the first on dvd (got the other 2 on vhs) and don't plan on getting the rest for awhile.

It's one of those movies where the bad guys have horrible aim and only the main character can actually hit his mark. Kinda like Noir.
Accept that fact, and it's more enjoyable.

I gotta say that the first DH has some great lines :-D

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Kisa » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:40 am

Some of the best Trilogys I have seen are:
-ORIGINAL Star Wars (eps. 4-6) I agree with The Silence on this one- there are no prequels, there are no prequels . . . .
-Lord of the Rings (so far, 3rd one looks awesome too)
-Back to the Future
Oh and please no one mention the Crocodile Dundee movies . . . oops just did . . . well anyway, they stink! I lived in Australia for 5 years and it is nothing like that! Oh the shame . . . . :mutter:
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Icarus » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:30 pm

"One ring to rule them all..." :thumb:
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Next

Return to General Entertainment