WideScreen vs. FullScreen

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

WideScreen vs. FullScreen

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:49 pm

So which do YOU preffer?
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:19 pm

Wide Screen... I prefer to see the whole picture...

I grew up not knowing that Bobba Fett was even in Empire Strikes Back because he was always off in the corner... I didn't see him there until I saw it in cinemascope in the theaters during the re-release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby The Silence » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:27 pm

this is on topic really:

You know those recent-est TVs you can get that are more widescreen sized, so when you watch movies the fit the screen properly without being cropped? When one is watching nomal TV on those things, one has the option of either having the image with black on either side or having it s-t-retch-e-d out weirdly, and it drives me insane to see it stretched out .... bleeah.

Ok well, maybe that was rather random, but it is relevant to wide/full screeness...
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby Straylight » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:28 pm

You know what I like? playing PS2 games on a widescreen tv. Silent Hill 2 is so much more fun that way :D
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby The Silence » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:29 pm

do you have a larger view that way?
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby Orange Kitten » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:31 pm

SouthernSun wrote:So which do YOU preffer?

So post what you like, and why you like it :thumb: .

Simple answer, full screen sucks.

I mean, if the original was shot on full screen then alrighty cool. But all major movies are widescreen. Cropping the image takes out like 20% - 30% of the image. Get used to the black bars, if you don't like em, get a bigger TV to compensate. Take a look at the ratios Full screen is easy, you got the 4:3 ratio. Widescreen, well it's a little more complex. You got 16:9, 2:1, 2.35:1, 1.85:1 and any others I missed? The point is, take a widescreen ratio, and then convert it to fullscreen, that's a lot of your image that goes *woop* out the window.

Know what's worse than fullscreen? Pan & Scan. That's like a cross between the two that fails miserably. It's fullscreen, but then it digitally pans the entire screen over to the left or right to show something important on the screen that is cropped by the 4:3 format. But it looks like crap.

I say keep the movie in whatever format you originally shot it in.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby shooraijin » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:29 pm

I'm not really sure which to choose, but since I have "only" a 20 inch television, full-frame looks better even though I despise the loss of large portions of the view (zoom on a wide-screen, unless the bit rate is high, just looks pixellated). Nevertheless, if I'm forced to make a choice, I usually buy widescreen DVDs because I imagine one of these days I'll own a widescreen TV. My parents do already, in fact.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby madphilb » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:27 am

I feel yourpain Shooraijin, I've got a crummy 19" screen (or my 17" monitor on the computer), but I think I still preferr to see the whole scene.

Few years back they ran Superman (the orignal movie) on one of the cable stations, I had seen that movie a bunch of times, we had it taped off cable on our Beta VCR for crying out loud! But I've always seen it full frame (cropped images and all). But when they put it on whatever channel it was, they ran it letterbox. Some of the scenes where so much better widescreen. A young Clark Kent standing on the edge of a wheat field with the wind rippling, etc.... very cool and touching scene, way better than the full frame of Clark standing in some grass :D

BTW, the Finding Nemo movie did something different (if you can believe them, I haven't watched it) with their full-frame version. Aparently they kept the width on the shots and opened them up vertically.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:19 am

I'm not a major fan of wide screen TVs, cause they're to darn expensive. I have a 15" monitor, a 19" TV, and I'm perfectly happy. Anyways, I have a lot better things to buy than a new TV. Though, in the far future I might get one.
Link Antilles

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:42 am

i got a 65 inch WS tv... Xbox looks awsome on it! i hate when i rent a dvd and they only got the full screen version!!! GRR
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Lufkin777 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:53 am

Wide Screen all the way.
"We dont see things as they are, we see them as we are."
Anais Nin
Lufkin777

Postby Ashley » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:05 am

Well how do widescreen TV sets affect normal viewing, like with tv shows and stuff? Don't you still get a funny box?
Ashley

Postby shooraijin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:24 am

Depends on how it's done. On my parents' Samsung plasma, normal 4:3 TV signals can either be: 1) stretched to the full width (looks weird), 2) same aspect ratio with black bars on the left and right (ugly but watchable), or 3) stretched on the edges with the center normal sort of in an parabolic warp fashion -- this minimizes the stretch of #1, has no black bars like #2, but when the camera pans left and right the distorted edges warp badly and actually the effect is kind of ... disorienting.

There's no good way IMHO, but when I watch their TV, I usually use #2.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby shooraijin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:26 am

BTW, the Finding Nemo movie did something different (if you can believe them, I haven't watched it) with their full-frame version. Aparently they kept the width on the shots and opened them up vertically.

I'm not even sure how they could accomplish that without distortion, though. There's just not enough real estate on the screen. *puzzled*

shooraijin

Postby madphilb » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:06 pm

shooraijin wrote:I'm not even sure how they could accomplish that without distortion, though. There's just not enough real estate on the screen. *puzzled*

2 disk set... .disk 1 has the widescreen, disk 2 the full screen re-framed (re-rendered?) to keep the wide shots and fill in the bottom. Least, that's what they say on the intro to the DVD, haven't watched it yet :D

PHIL
madphilb

Postby shooraijin » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:49 pm

Well, let me know. I'm curious about the aspect ratio difference.

shooraijin

Postby Shinja » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:27 pm

im waiting on the imax view personal tv. :lol:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:30 pm

Yea, widescreen is the future.
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:30 am

check your settings
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Fsiphskilm » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:01 pm

When you first buy your
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:30 pm

Like I said, there are many different types of Widecreen. There is no 'one' standard. A movie can be made widescreen in either the 16:9, 2.35:1, 2:1, or 1.85:1 ratio. Your TV can only be one. And if your dvd has a different ratio than the dvd, you'll see black bars; the size of the bars varies on the ratio.

SouthernSun wrote:Like i said Most of today's TV aren't TRUE WIDESCREEN, they are Wider(er) Screen.

What (to you) IS a TRUE widescreen?

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby madphilb » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:32 pm

I personally consider Widescreen (or Letterbox as it's noted on VHS tapes, not that I buy these anymore) to be the full width of the original production.

Since these productions very by width, some movies will still show up as "letterbox" on a widescreen TV. Take a movie like Ben Hur for instance. If I remember correctly there are parts of that movie where they pulled back the curtains aside the screen to make the image even wider (If I remember correctly, the image is almost 3x as wide as it is tall compared to a typical TV screen).

There is a standard for Widescreen TVs though (I think)... something to do with the HDTV standard if I'm not mistaken.

PHIL
madphilb

Postby Tet-chan » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:05 pm

I prefer widescreen......
maybe because all the movies i watch are in widescreen
Tet-chan

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:14 pm

Wide(er) tv's are just WIDER
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:37 am

The widescreen TV thing sounds like it sucks. ; _ ;

But as far as movies go...widescreeeeeen. But there are still these jerks that make the widescreen version of the DVD kinda hard to find.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Gypsy » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:32 am

I prefer widescreen.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

box set standard

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:02 pm

Grrrrrrr..
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fsiphskilm

Postby otaku » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:24 pm

depends on the tv size but if its a big screen with widescreen support certaily, its more the movie you'd see on the theatre
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
otaku

Postby kaze » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:54 pm

widescreen, of course. i made the mistake of accidentally buying the full screen version of The Two Towers... :shake:
visit my DA and SA pages please~

deviantArt+++クリック+++
sheezyArt++クリック++

夢の中でも ふらふら する。
kaze

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:42 am

You know what sucks? The fansubs of the 3 sailormoon movies are in widescreen... I deleted those (like 4 years ago, or whenever they came out) in favor if the legitamate movies, and they are FULL SCREEN! Man... I was so mad...

Some new anime are being made in a widescreen format even on TV (like .hack//sign) I hope that as they gain a US release, they aren't sliced up to make them fit the full screen (or even worse, "squished")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Next

Return to General Entertainment