Westerns

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Westerns

Postby Lochaber Axe » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:08 pm

Ah... the smell of gunpowder and horse droppings in the morn'... if you haven't guessed this is for all the gun-totin', tobacci' chewin' cowpolks that the American film industry have immortalized.

*insert theme music from the The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly *

So tell us about your favorite movies/series/heroes/villians/what not from your favorite westerns. Be they Lone Ranger, High Noon, Bonanza, The Quick and the Dead, or even Shangai Noon, tell us please!

Disclaimer: I am not making fun of Texans with this thread, I am Southen' myself and sometimes the accent comes upon me. :grin:
Lochaber Axe

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:59 pm

I got to see "The Quick and the Dead" on TV once... I LOVE Cort and Lady! Woohoo! Lady gunslinger! And... well, Cort... he's a former outlaw now priest and pacifist... :grin: Well, I watched it wondering if the writers for the Trigun anime watched the movie and had it as their inspiration for the "Quick Draw" episode. Red ink, baby!

I remember, when I was a kid, seeing bits and snatches of the "Lonesome Dove" TV miniseries and its sequel. I wasn't really interested in it at the time, but I remember from what I saw of it that it was really good. I should go rent those and watch those, now that I can appreciate them.

Ever since... it came out and I saw it in the theater with my family when I was 10 years old... I've loved the movie "Dances With Wolves". I saw it run recently on the History Channel... and, well... watching that movie makes me kinda wish that I was a Souix. It does... it's just.. so neat.

Um... and though I've never watched the TV series, I like the movie "Maverick"... you know, with Mel Gibson as Maverick... it always makes me laugh. Hilarious movie.
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby inkhana » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:51 pm

I haven't really watched many western movies (except a few John Wayne movies) but my favorite TV western is Gunsmoke. I also liked the show Maverick, but I like James Garner.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Lochaber Axe » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:06 pm

My dad is into John Wayne so I have watched his movies a lot. I really can't say I have a favorite western, though I can say it isn't Blazing Saddles or Wild Wild West. They are funny but not what Im looking for in the way of good westerns. My westerns are supposed to have heroes that actually know how to fire a winchester. I don't know, to me the winchester is cooler than a revolver.

*shrugs*

Just needed more attention to this thread. :grin:
Lochaber Axe

Postby Technomancer » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:02 pm

Definately Cheyenne Autumn and Little Big Man. Unforgiven is great too.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Lochaber Axe » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:02 am

Cephas wrote:But let's not get derailed.

How many times have I seen that happen in Westerns? Kinda funny that the first movie is a western (sortof). It is a silent film that I believe is called "The Great Train Robbery" though I could be wrong about the last word.

Sorry, couldn't help it. :lol:

And yes, The Man With No Name is one of the best trilogies out there. Of course lets not get into trilogies, since this is the "Westerns" thread.
Lochaber Axe

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:40 pm

definately some fun westerns out there, though they do get formulaic occasionally

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Stephen » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:00 pm

I watched Unforgiven this afternoon...my father and I were talking about Tombstone the other day..and he said I would like Unforgiven...was at EB and they had a used copy...so I snagged it. Gotta say I loved the film. I loved how rather then have everyone be able to spin 5 guns at once, be the best shot in the universe...it was more realistic. The opening scene where Clint emptys his pistol at the can...his daughter says somthing Clint goes inside and gets a shotgun, blasts the can off the thing...yeah...classic. I thought it was a great film...worthy of all the awards it won. Clint Eastwood is the man.
Stephen

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:56 pm

Well, I don't know
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Shinja » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:17 pm

i love westerns, here are my favs

1. the searchers
2. high noon
3. the good the bad and the ugly
4. the outlaw josie wales
5. high planes drifter
6. any jonh wayne movie

i also like randolf scott movies but cant remeber any of thier names
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:52 am

I can't believe no one has mentioned Tombstone! That is my favorite western, and it also happens to have my favorite character (Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday).

On a side note, my friends say I talk like Clint Eastwood when I play Magic: The Gathering. Don't ask me why. :cool:

I haven't seen a lot of westerns, but I did watch the special on the History Channel a few weeks ago, so I know all about them. :grin:
cbwing0

Postby EireWolf » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:12 pm

I remember liking a western called "Silverado" because it was funny. Not really a comedy, but it had funny parts.

I also love "Maverick" with Mel Gibson. That is a comedy western. Very entertaining movie all around.

I also like Shanghai Noon, and want to see Shanghai Knights. I love Jackie Chan! ^_^
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
[indent]~~Gandalf, in Fellowship of the Ring[/indent]
EireWolf

Postby Quiet Hood » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:34 pm

Clint Eastwood... :rock:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath." -James 1:19
Translation: Listen much; speak little; stay cool. :thumb:

Romans 6: 7-12
Psalm 144: 1-2
Quiet Hood

Postby Quiet Hood » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:34 pm

Haha... ^_~
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath." -James 1:19
Translation: Listen much; speak little; stay cool. :thumb:

Romans 6: 7-12
Psalm 144: 1-2
Quiet Hood

Postby Thomas J. R. » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:34 pm

The absolute best Western, as for story quality, over-all filmmaking, acting, music, etc. Would have to be the "MAN WITH NO NAME TRIOLOGY", with Clint Eastwood. Not the TV show, but the three greatest westerns ever:
A Fistfull of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

You can take my word for it.

(Your interesting fact for the day: These movies were labeled as "Spaghetti Westerns".)
Thomas J. R.

Postby Lochaber Axe » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:07 am

Thomas J. R. wrote: "Spaghetti Westerns"

Term used when the director, producers, or other crew are Italian. It can be taken as a racial slur, though.
Lochaber Axe

Return to General Entertainment