Return of the King: Last-Minute changes (spoiler warning!)

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Return of the King: Last-Minute changes (spoiler warning!)

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:30 pm

On IGN.com:
[spoiler]Ain't it Cool News caused some commotion among Lord of the Rings fans when it broke the news about some surprising last-minute cuts to the trilogy's final film. Peter Jackson has made the decision to cut the opening scenes with Saruman (Christopher Lee) and Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) from the beginning of The Return of the King.

"Since The Two Towers couldn't sustain a 7 min 'wrap' after Helm's Deep, we thought it would be a good idea to save it for the beginning of the Return of the King," says Jackson. "The trouble is, when we viewed various ROTK cuts over the last few weeks, it feels like the first scenes are wrapping last year's movie, instead of starting the new one. We felt it got ROTK off to an uncertain beginning, since Saruman plays no role in the events of ROTK (we don't have the Scouring later, as the book does), yet we dwell in Isengard for quite a long time before our new story kicks off."

Jackson says that the sequence, in which Saruman meets his demise, will be included in the Extended Edition edit of the film, which is likely to be released on DVD a year from now.

This just makes me mad!
[/spoiler]
Link Antilles

Postby Straylight » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:38 pm

Makes me a bit mad too... i think there was a petition on the internet somewhere appealing to Jackson for the inclusion of that clip.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:52 pm

[spoiler=Return of the King]No "Scouring of the Shire"? Gah! No Sharky? Wah![/spoiler]

Jackson's been doing pretty well with keeping the movies in synch with the books, that is, more than most book-derived movies do... But... yeah, go an butcher up my favorite book of the trilogy, why don't cha? Gah. Annoying.
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby The Silence » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:10 pm

muh?! that was one of my favorite scenes in the book!!!
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:52 pm

hmm... Why is everyone so upset? Everything that gets cut from the theater version will get put back in the Extended DVD that will get released next november... And, watch them make even MORE extended full set get released afterwords... After the cruel joke of getting people to buy the DVD's then releasing the BETTER ones later, it's not that far off...

BTW, don't sign online petitions... They don't work, and you dont' need to be giving someone reason to look you up... ALL online petitions are scams and there has never been ONE successful petition... go to http://www.snopes.com and search for petition and read what they've got... (age warning: a couple of the scam petitions bring up things that I would not recommend a younger reader read...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby The Silence » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:06 pm

i jsut think that the general populous would abenifit from the more scenes from a scathingly brilliant actor who is involved there.... (must... not... spoil...)
"Accoustic Guitar, I'm gonna make you a star,
Get your picture all over the world.
Accoustic Guitar, you can have your own car,
Just bring me back my girl..."

--Magnetic Fields

The Silence

Postby Archan » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:05 am

Hum,

Actually, I find Jackson's point Valid. And being the footage will be included (along with an hours more worth of edit cuts), I'm not really that concerned.

SPOILER:

As for the great minature Hobbit war with Sharky...I can't really say I'd miss it. When I read the book, I felt like that last piece was just tacked on there. At the most I think the movie will reach the point where Gandolph sails away with the Elves and end there with the hobbits traveling back to the Shire.

Sorry if this doesn't sit well with anyone else. But you never know, Jackson might make it into a short film that'll be included in the Special special special edition LOTR trilogy package (Snicker snicker) I think that would be the wisest thing to do though. Being the Shire war felt like it's own little story, why not make it into it's own little short film?

God bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby senjutsu » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:15 pm

:mutter: grrrr....makes my blood boil....what a ding dong. }=(
-Tenjou Tenka Yuiga Dokuson-
senjutsu

Return to General Entertainment