Lost

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:40 am

This episode was.... alright, IMO.

[spoiler] First off, I want to say that all of the stuff that happened on the Island was cool, and I enjoyed it. There were some great character moments, notably Sawyer's ability to accept his hand in the blame. (However, I think that his current line of thinking is a bit strange, as no one is to blame for Juliet's death, really.)

On the other hand, the stuff that happened in LA X world was difficult to believe. Why on earth would any pregnant woman choose to get a ride with a stranger whom JUST threatened her and her child's lives repeatedly? Yes, it's apparently necessary to move this story thread forward, but give them some motivations for their actions! This bothered me more given that Claire never struck me as the type to do such obviously dangerous things. (This can be addressed if the characters are confirmed to have retained feelings for one another in LA X dimension, though.)

The end of the episode made me excited. Not only do we get to see Claire on the Island, but we also get an important connection: Rousseau seems to have been right. "The Infection" is real and afflicting Sayid. There is also a nice parallel between Claire and Rousseau; this is causing me to wonder if Claire will also kill those that have become infected, just as Rousseau did. [/spoiler]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Good golly, Doc Jensen, why do you do this to me? I have homework and you write recap articles that are like 8 pages long. XD

Anyways, here's the new Doc Jensen recap article! From what little I've read, I agree with him 100% here:

Lost has a habit of following up its premiere extravaganzas with scaled-down follow-ups that seek to ground the audience and orient them to a more deliberate pace to the season. ''What Kate Does'' conformed to the mold, and I'm going to hazard a guess and say that not everyone here appreciated that choice, especially those who came to the final season expecting Lost to be all We've Got A Lot To Do And Not Much Time To Do It So Let's Just Rip Into This! Nope. Apparently, Lost has decided to ring itself out by continuing to do ''What Lost Does.'' Which has always been a pretty good thing, in my book, even if means so-so second episodes. And yet, as I write these words, ''What Kate Does'' grows more and more interesting the more I think about it. Granted, it's my job to think about Lost, like, a lot, but put the episode's good stuff on a scale and I'll wager it'll outweigh the lame stuff.

More comments later when I am not rushing to meet deadlines. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:29 pm

I liked the episode, overall, and don't really have too many thoughts regarding it. Or maybe it's because I'm in last minute convention preparation meltdown mode, I dunno.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:00 pm

New Doc Jensen article priming for tonight's episode! It'll be Locke-centric, and knowing this show...that means it's going to be awesome. XD Enjoy!
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Wow. What a show. XDD

[SPOILER]Man, where do I even start tonight? XD I knew to expect good things with a Locke-centric episode, but SO MUCH of this episode is full of interesting bits. XD I guess I'll start at the top, then!

I love that Helen is still alive (and engaged to Locke!) in Sideways-World. This means that Locke's life is not only not intensely depressing, but it also means that he didn't spend those years chasing after his father, meaning it's likely that his father didn't con him, making it just as likely that his father didn't con Sawyer's parents. And he was even invited to the wedding! I thought that was a very interesting turn. Also interesting in the Sideways-World was Rose's (YAAY ROSE!) conversation with John about her cancer. I felt like the scene where he ripped apart the card Jack gave him was a fulfillment of that scene: by the end of the scene, Locke was more on his way to accepting his condition and living the best life he could while being content with that, instead of always longing for what he didn't have, what he couldn't do. Very interesting. I also LOVED the scene between Locke and Hurley, and OH MY GOSH I DIED LAUGHING SO HARD WHEN THEY REVEALED BEN AS THE ANAL HISTORY TEACHER. XDDD Best scene EVER.

Now, onto the events of the Island!

I found it very interesting that Ben lied (once again) to Ilana about who killed Jacob. I found it even MORE interesting that Ben actually confessed to murdering Locke at what Lapedis dubbed "the weirdest funeral ever." XD A very rare moment of truth from Ben, though; so rare that I wonder how much of it was actually true. I'm inclined to think, though, that Ben actually IS sorry for killing Locke, now that he sees what he's done. Another rare moment for Ben--being apologetic about anything! Way to develop that character. XD I'm hoping Ben finds redemption at the end of this series somehow, and that may very well be in the works.

Also, Ilana mentioned that Smokey/FLocke is "recruiting." I'm curious as to what this means (aside from "getting people on his side"--getting them on his side to do what? Leave the Island? Kill them? Kill Team Jacob? Who knows! XD), but it's interesting (I use that word a lot in this post XD) that she took some of Jacob's ashes. I wonder if Jacob's ashes will do more to keep Smokey at bay than normal ashes?

And the little boy that Smokey saw (and Sawyer, too) after meeting up with Sawyer! At first, I thought he might be a younger version of Jacob, but while discussing the show with my mom, she presented the idea that it's Aaron. Which makes a little bit of sense, though not a whole lot, because Aaron's not on the Island right now. Either way, I'm very curious to find out his purpose, especially with his quip about "The Rules." I'm almost inclined to think it's Jacob, just because of how disturbed FLocke looked when he saw him.

And the most fascinating scene in the entire episode--the cave! I want screencaps of that cave ASAP. XD For now, though:

4 - Locke
8 - Reyes
15 - Ford
16 - Kwon (Sun or Jin? Hmmm...!)
23 - Shephard
42 - Jarrah

I have SEVERAL thoughts on this. XD Going by what Smokey said, each of these are "candidates" to take over Jacob's position on the Island. Clearly Locke is no longer a candidate, because he died and is now claimed by Smokey. My mom and I both think that, if this is indeed the case, Jack will end up taking Jacob's place. Definitely. His name is similar (Jack, Jacob/tomato, tomahto), his last name is Shephard (symbolic, much? XD), and the tattoo on his arm said something to the effect of, "he walks among them, but he is not one of them." Given Jack's conversation with Dogen last week about pretty much the same thing when Dogen explained to Jack why he prefers to speak Japanese, I'd say it's pretty likely.

Of course, that all depends on whether or not Smokey was actually telling the truth. Symbolically speaking, Jacob's home is above ground, and the cave where FLocke took Sawyer was below ground. This could represent yet another symbolic connection between light side/dark side. Adding to that, one thing we know about Jacob is that he's very careful and orderly (remember the tapestry he was making back in season 5?). The names in the cave were scrawled on the wall in a very chaotic way, which might (though I'm really speculating here XD) symbolize another light side/dark side connection between order and chaos. I dunno. It's interesting to think about, though. XD

Lastly, and this may or may not support the theory that Smokey was lying and it was really him who wrote up and crossed off all of those names, Kate was not listed amongst the numbers. I expected her to be, simply because Jacob touched her back in the season 5 finale. I'm curious as to why she wasn't listed. She was one of the Oceanic 6 (six "survivors," six numbers), but so was Aaron, and he was neither touched by Jacob nor listed on the wall ('course, he wasn't exactly born yet, either). So I dunno about that part yet. I need some screencaps of those walls stat, so I can read some of the names that got crossed out, too! XDD[/SPOILER]

Anyways, there's my thoughts and theories on this fascinating episode. XD How about all of you?

Radical Dreamer

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:43 am

It's late and I have stuff to do tomorrow, but I just wanted to stop in and express how great that episode was. Incredible.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby rocklobster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:16 am

[spoiler] I believe 16 was for both Sun and Jin. When they showed the flashback, we saw that Jacob "touched" both of them. Besides, ideally when people are married they "become one flesh". Also, since you say Jacob represents God, I've always thought Heaven wasn't in the clouds. I've always thought it was in some other plane of existence entirely.[/spoiler]
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:58 am

rocklobster (post: 1374179) wrote:[spoiler]Also, since you say Jacob represents God, I've always thought Heaven wasn't in the clouds. I've always thought it was in some other plane of existence entirely.[/spoiler]

[SPOILER]No, I think Jacob represents a god-like figure with elements of his character taken from the Christian God, not God Himself. And even now I'm changing that theory a bit, since it makes less sense now that we know the candidates' purpose. That said, I was speaking symbolically when I said that Jacob's "home" was "above ground" and what may be Smokey's part of the Island "below ground" in a cave. To be hidden deep within the earth (as opposed to above it) sends a connotation to my mind that throws back to good vs. evil. I'm hardly suggesting that Heaven is in the clouds, and I'm not really sure where you got that from my post, anyways. XD[/SPOILER]

Radical Dreamer

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:28 am

[spoiler] So much happened in this episode!

LA X world was pretty hilarious in this episode. Ben as a European History teacher, Hugo's luck preventing Locke's wheelchair ramp from scratching his car, inviting Locke's Dad to the wedding... there were so many fun moments.

I found it very interesting that Ben gave a eulogy for Locke. This was interesting for many reasons, chief among them is that it appears that Ben may have been telling the truth throughout the entire eulogy. (Also, I'm not sure that Ben thinks he is lying about who killed Jacob. He may really believe that he is not responsible, and that he has been manipulated into being a murder weapon. Either way, we may be on our way toward's Ben's redemption.)

FLock is recruiting. We may end up with two opposing teams again, and I will not be surprised if Jack becomes the new Jacob. It would be the perfect set up.

We also learn that, according to FLocke, that Jacob wanted to find a replacement, a new protector. He sort of "skims over" what the Island is being protected from (or alternatively, the he is protecting something from the Island). There is always the likely possibility that FLocke is the threat, of course.

Then there is the Kid. This is why I love Lost. We get to see Smokey be scared. This was was incredibly satisfying to see FLocke both scared and a little confused. The current running theories I have are:

Aaron, a manifestation of the Island, a completely new character which has been enforcing "the rules". My favorite theory is the manifestation of the Island, if only because it could have some interesting impacts on the overall mythology.

The numbers in the caves are awesome. I don't know if those are really Jacob's, but regardless, it is a list.

Also, I hope that Kwon is referring to Sun. All of the other Candidates are male, both smokey and Jacob are male, and the "special" kids are male. It would be nice to have a girl in there, too. (Okay, so maybe that's evidence towards it being Jin, but I can hope!)

Jack's seat number matched up with his number on the wall. So maybe whoever wrote those names is really just a creepy stalker. :p

"Don't tell me what I can't do!" Wow. It seems that some of Locke's personality is somewhere inside Smokey. [/spoiler]
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Two links:

First off, NEW DOC JENSEN RECAP ARTICLE YAY.

Also, I feel like it's appropriate to post this song. XD

Don't Ever Tell Locke What He Can't Do!

And one of many interesting bits from the article:

Doc Jensen on Sawyer and Smokey wrote:[SPOILER]Sawyer's Response To Smokey's Offer
What Was Said:
''So what do you say, James?'' Smokey asked. ''Are you ready to go home?'' Sawyer replied, ''Hell yes.''
Possible Chance I Believe Sawyer: 0%]

Radical Dreamer

Postby rocklobster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:29 pm

[spoiler] Yeah, but can you really con the dude who invented conning?[/spoiler]
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:50 pm

First, I just want to say that was one of the coolest uses of "Search & Destroy" I've seen a WHILE.

Beyond that...

[spoiler]I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the conspicuous absence of Kate in the names. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it might mean, though.

Also, does anyone else wonder how alterna-Locke ended up in that wheelchair? If he and his dad are on good enough terms for him to be invited to the wedding, I'm guessing that there was no window incident... or at least on one like WE saw.

Good point about the chaotic nature of the cave writing, too. I wasn't sure I believed the cave was really Jacob's in the first place, but now I REALLY think Smokey's trying to con Sawyer.

Speaking of which, I don't believe he's REALLY siding with Smokey for a second. He knows there's something he's not being told (quite a few things, actually) and wants to find out what they are... and how they can be used to his advantage.

Finally, Hurley's getting some really awesome moments this season, isn't he? Even his alterna-self is getting to be all kinds of cool![/spoiler]
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Postby rocklobster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm

[spoiler] guess Hurley got tired of being the chew toy [/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Whitefang » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:16 am

[Spoiler]It seems that the alternate timeline is what happens when they escape the island. The reason we're being shown this now is because there are a lot of plot elements to wrap up, and it would be boring to have 3 or 4 episodes after the climactic finish. The reason I suspect this is because all of the characters have retained their character developments, e.g. Jack is less of a jerk, Locke is more accepting of his disability, etc, even if they can't remember exactly what happened on the island.[/Spoiler]
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 am

Whitefang (post: 1374788) wrote:[Spoiler]It seems that the alternate timeline is what happens when they escape the island. The reason we're being shown this now is because there are a lot of plot elements to wrap up, and it would be boring to have 3 or 4 episodes after the climactic finish. The reason I suspect this is because all of the characters have retained their character developments, e.g. Jack is less of a jerk, Locke is more accepting of his disability, etc, even if they can't remember exactly what happened on the island.[/Spoiler]

[SPOILER]I think that pretty much everything we've seen up to this point sort of goes against your theory...if the Sideways world is what happens when they get off the Island (for the second time), then why is Claire still pregnant, why is Charlie still alive, why is the statue of Tawaret still standing (if submerged), and why don't the Losties seem to know each other? Furthermore, Locke is dead in the Island world. The Locke we see on the Island is Smokey manifesting as Locke, and the Locke we see in the Sideways world is the John Locke of a parallel dimension. I'm pretty sure the Sideways world is showing us what's happened in the parallel dimension (possibly created by Jughead's explosion) where Oceanic 815 did not crash, and the lives of the Lostaways have possibly been significantly effected by the changes that would have been made by resetting time using the Jughead bomb.[/SPOILER]

Blitzkrieg1701 wrote:[SPOILER]Speaking of which, I don't believe he's REALLY siding with Smokey for a second. He knows there's something he's not being told (quite a few things, actually) and wants to find out what they are... and how they can be used to his advantage.

Finally, Hurley's getting some really awesome moments this season, isn't he? Even his alterna-self is getting to be all kinds of cool![/SPOILER]

[Spoiler]Oh, I totally agree about Sawyer. XD As much as he may want to leave the Island, I just can't imagine him leaving everyone else on the Island to face Smokey, not to mention he clearly doesn't trust Smokey as far as he could throw him. XD Besides, like the article by Doc Jensen said, it totally fits Sawyer's nature to "con or be conned," and he's going to get everything he can from Smokey before stabbing him in the back. I just hope Sawyer cons him successfully and doesn't have his own plan turned against him. XD

Also, totally random thought: you think we'll get to see Sawyer meet his daughter at any point?

And YES, Hurley's scenes have been pretty awesome. XD But then, if he's to be a candidate to take over Jacob's position of protecting the Island, then I guess he'd better be getting to do some pretty cool things! XD[/SPOILER]

Radical Dreamer

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:17 pm

And now, a vortex of spoiler tags:

Radical Dreamer (post: 1374808) wrote:
Whitefang (post: 1374788) wrote:[Spoiler]It seems that the alternate timeline is what happens when they escape the island. The reason we're being shown this now is because there are a lot of plot elements to wrap up, and it would be boring to have 3 or 4 episodes after the climactic finish. The reason I suspect this is because all of the characters have retained their character developments, e.g. Jack is less of a jerk, Locke is more accepting of his disability, etc, even if they can't remember exactly what happened on the island.[/Spoiler]

[SPOILER]I think that pretty much everything we've seen up to this point sort of goes against your theory...if the Sideways world is what happens when they get off the Island (for the second time), then why is Claire still pregnant, why is Charlie still alive, why is the statue of Tawaret still standing (if submerged), and why don't the Losties seem to know each other? Furthermore, Locke is dead in the Island world. The Locke we see on the Island is Smokey manifesting as Locke, and the Locke we see in the Sideways world is the John Locke of a parallel dimension. I'm pretty sure the Sideways world is showing us what's happened in the parallel dimension (possibly created by Jughead's explosion) where Oceanic 815 did not crash, and the lives of the Lostaways have possibly been significantly effected by the changes that would have been made by resetting time using the Jughead bomb.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]Oh yes, there's much more going on in the parallel world than the simple lack of a plane crash. A LOT of seeming unrelated things (well, as unrelated as things can be on Lost) have to have been different for this state of events to arise. Heck, the Island seems to have SUNK! What on Earth could have caused THAT? I have a little trouble buying that whatever happens in the "real" world over the rest of this season could rewrite things drastically enough to revert everything to the state it's in over in paralel world.

All that said, I think there may still be something to be said for the idea that the alterna-characters are providing the characters "endings." Even if alterna-Locke doesn't turn out to be the same person as the "real," dead Locke, it's still satisfying to see him enjoying a reasonably happy, normal life. If the "main" timeline isn't able to find time to resolve the main cast's character development, The Creators may be hopping these scenes will be an acceptable substitute.

But then, who knows? I never would have guessed they'd have two (seemingly) independent timeliness in the first place. For all I know, they really MIGHT find a way to sink The Island many years in the past and rewrite all sorts of other history in the process.[/SPOILER]
Image Image

Blitzkrieg1701

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Here's a good interview from EW.com with Terry O'Quinn, AKA John Locke/FLocke/Smokey! It explores some interesting things about whether or not Smokey is good or bad. I still say bad, especially based on some of the things O'Quinn says about him. XD Enjoy!

EDIT: Also, Doc Jensen's new pre-show article is up today! Get stoked, because this time, it's about Joseph Campbell's take on The Hero's Journey, and how that all applies to Sawyer. XD Oh, what I would do to not have class tonight! XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:03 am

Just dropping in to say that this weeks episode was pretty awesome.

Quick list of things I liked:

[spoiler]
LA X Jack and his son.
Jack smashing the mirror. I felt like in this action he may finally be pulling himself out of his slump.
Finally getting some insight into what has been going on with Claire.
The compass with names!
[/spoiler]

Tomorrow I will post some thoughts, but that's all for tonight.

Cognitive Gear

Postby rocklobster » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 am

[spoiler]Has anyone noticed that all the numbers for the people are exactly the same numbers we've been used to? Just a thought.
Anywho, Corrie, how do you do it? You predicted that Claire would be in league with FLocke and you were right! What I'm curious about is why did Jin lie about her baby? He told her the truth and then quickly changed it into a lie.[/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Davidizer13 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 pm

[SPOILER]Jack has 28 years + whatever Jacob's going to do to him of bad luck ahead of him! All because he wanted to lash out against destiny. Silly Jack![/SPOILER]

rocklobster (post: 1376009) wrote:[spoiler]Has anyone noticed that all the numbers for the people are exactly the same numbers we've been used to? Just a thought.[/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]The Numbers, according to the Lost Experience alternate reality game, are constants for an equation called the Valenzetti Equation, which is meant to predict the end of the world. Make of that what you will.[/SPOILER]

rocklobster wrote:[SPOILER]
Anywho, Corrie, how do you do it? You predicted that Claire would be in league with FLocke and you were right! What I'm curious about is why did Jin lie about her baby? He told her the truth and then quickly changed it into a lie.[/spoiler]

[SPOILER]You saw what happened to that one guy when he said he didn't know where Aaron was. I also think that Jin is playing Claire to get back to where everyone else is. It helps that Claire's turned into Aussie!Rousseau, and she's not all there.

Speaking of that guy, where'd he come from? Have we seen him before at all? Is he just some Other?[/SPOILER]
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:25 pm

Once again, Lost does not disappoint. XD Unfortunately my schedule does, so I'll have to make this pretty quick. XD

[SPOILER]Interesting how we keep seeing Jack in front of mirrors. Has anyone else noticed this? We saw him looking curiously at the wound on his neck in the premiere, we saw him look at the scar from his appendix surgery (VERY strange--you would think he would've remembered that/noticed the scar sometime before now. I think the Sideways world is definitely having some sort of "deja vu" connection with the events of the Island), we saw the next scene on the Island open with his reflection in a pool, and now we've seen him breaking the mirrors of Jacob's lighthouse. I have a feeling this is symbolic of something, but I'm not sure what yet. XD Destroying the mirrors seems especially significant.

Hurley is so awesome. I <3333 him and his interactions with Jacob so much. XD

I really hope that this person who's coming to the Island is Desmond. XD He needs some face-time in season 6. XD[/SPOILER]

Cognitive Gear (post: 1376003) wrote:[spoiler]LA X Jack and his son.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler]Yeah, the fact that Jack has a son now is very interesting! As I recall, he couldn't have children with Sarah (though she was pregnant the next time he saw her). Maybe in the Sideways world, he can? I wondered who David's mother was, but now that I think about it, it still makes sense that it would be Sarah, because even though they have a son, they're still divorced. I definitely hope they confirm that for us, though. XD[/spoiler]

rocklobster (post: 1376009) wrote:[spoiler]Has anyone noticed that all the numbers for the people are exactly the same numbers we've been used to? Just a thought.

[SPOILER]On the Numbers, yes, and I think it's the reason why those numbers are so important. I think it's why the guy from the mental institution heard them over a radio transmission back in season 1, and I think it's why Hurley found out about them. It's likely why they were engraved on the Swan hatch, too. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm assuming it's all linked back to Jacob and his plan to bring those who corresponded to the numbers to the Island.

On Claire, Dogen told Jack that she had been "claimed," just as Sayid had been. Given the nature of Smokey and how it's now confirmed for us that he manifests himself in the bodies of those who have died/possibly have been close to death, it only makes sense that Claire = claimed means Claire = Smokey or recruited by Smokey.

On Jin and why he lied, I'm not sure yet. I think that Jin knows Claire is bad news, and I think it's possible that he wants to get her back to the Temple to get rid of her. It's a good thing he lied, though--otherwise, Kate would be in serious danger.[/SPOILER]

Davidizer13 (post: 1376050) wrote:[SPOILER]Speaking of that guy, where'd he come from? Have we seen him before at all? Is he just some Other?[/SPOILER]

[Spoiler]He and the other guy he was with are both just a couple of Others. XD The guy who got shot was apparently the same guy guarding the building that Carl was being brainwashed in back in season 3, and as for this guy, he's just one of the many people who live on the Island. XD[/SPOILER]

I may post more thoughts later, especially because there's a new Doc Jensen recap article! I haven't had time to read it yet, but given how awesome last night's episode was, I'm sure it's full of really good thoughts and theories!

EDIT:

Excellent insight from the article linked above:

Doc Jensen wrote:[SPOILER]The purpose, I think, was to correct Jack of one misconception: He was not stupid to believe that the Island holds redemptive purpose for him. It does. Jack just needs to keep his eyes open and look for it. He also needs to do one thing more, and I think it's the thing that Lighthouse mirrors were designed to show him. Hurley and Jack got it wrong. The Lighthouse doesn't cast light outward. It casts light inward, and reveals the state of your heart. For Jack Shephard, his heart is still locked up in his childhood home, his father's house, his past, and he won't be free and realized until he leaves all of it behind. Besides, I'm pretty sure it's a prerequisite for the job Jacob wants Jack to take: replacing him as Island protector. Yep: I'm thinking Jack is right at the top of Jacob's list of candidates. So hurry up and fix thyself, Number 23 —]

Radical Dreamer

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm

It's a little late to be posting this, but here's the new Doc Jensen article leading up to tonight's episode! In it, he explores some really interesting parallels between Lost and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, as well as Through the Looking Glass. Enjoy!

EDIT: asdf.

[SPOILER]SAYID WHY? WHY DO YOU SUCK NOW? XDD I'm so sad that Sayid killed both Lennon AND Dogen! They were so cool! Seeing Smokey kill almost EVERYONE in the Temple was pretty crazy, too...I'm curious to see who survived beyond Ilana and the others. Did Cindy survive? Where is Richard? I imagine that, if they were going to kill him off, they would give him a proper death scene. Was he even in the Temple at the time? I need to knooow! XD I'm also curious to know if Kate will end up on Smokey's side. I'm even more curious to know if Kate's going to die (that's what I'm expecting XD).

Also HOW CRAZY IS CLAIRE?? So crazy. And I thought that her voice singing "Catch a Falling Star" over the final scene was brilliantly creepy. XD

Anyways, more tomorrow, maybe. I don't know that there's a whole lot for me to talk about at the moment until I read up on some more Doc Jensen. XD[/Spoiler]

Radical Dreamer

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Great episode!

[spoiler]I wish Sayid could be good, but he's consistently been destined towards darkness from the beginning of the show. I would love to be proven wrong at the end, though!

The scene with Team Dark Side was interesting. They had a pretty sweet visual motif going. Those that chose to be on Smokey's side were dressed in very dark colors, those with Jacob were wearing generally light colors, and interestingly Kate was wearing grey. This is really interesting since she is now traveling with Smokey, but did not choose to follow him.

Can't wait for next week! If it is a Ben centric episode I will be so happy. [/i] [/spoiler]

Cognitive Gear

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Radical Dreamer

Postby rocklobster » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:12 pm

[spoiler] I can't say I really blame Sayid. I mean if someone tried to kill you three times in a row, wouldn't you be a tiny bit angry at them?[/spoiler]

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 am

Interesting new Doc Jensen article to gear up for the show tonight, and also continue mulling over the meaning of last week's episode! Also, on page three, there is a 40 second sneak peek at tonight's episode! Oh, Ben. Why couldn't I have had you as my high school history teacher? XDD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:01 pm

5 second post:

[SPOILER]OMG I LOVE YOU BEN.

ALSO OMG WIDMORE!!! AAHH.[/SPOILER]

More thoughts later. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Nadia (post: 1379584) wrote:Okay, when I first heard of Lost, I thought it sounded, well, very similar to Amazon (IMDb link here), which ran from 1999 to 2000. I watched it on and off.

For those who have seen both, how different is Lost from Amazon?

Judging by the synopsis on IMDb? They are absolutely nothing alike, aside from plane crash survivors stranded on an island. XD Unless Amazon also has

[SPOILER]smoke monsters, time travel, other dimensions, scientific experiments, people who never age, more literary allusions than you can catch in one sitting,[/SPOILER]

and some of the best character development on TV, that is. XD Definitely check Lost out; it's a unique television experience that's as good as a film, just a whole lot longer. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Whitefang » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1379580) wrote:5 second post:

[SPOILER]OMG I LOVE YOU BEN.

ALSO OMG WIDMORE!!! AAHH.[/SPOILER]

More thoughts later. XD

I agree 1,000%]This episode offered me no plot answers, but darn it was a good episode. Ben and Jack were great in this episode. I still can't believe Jack took that huge leap of faith.[/spoiler]
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 pm

New Doc Jensen recap article is up! I'm still holding off on my full commentary, as I haven't yet had time to re-watch the episode (given the time of my night class, I missed the first 15 minutes). Hopefully I'll have some time later this evening! XD

Radical Dreamer

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment