Horror Movies

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby shooraijin » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:39 am

Och, no :)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:24 pm

No... Slasher types aren't for me... (well, were the nightmares considered slashers? I thought it was more about other interesting things than just mass murder that just happened to be in dreams...)

Although, it is based on a true story, so it probably would scare me (more reality based) but I don't feel like getting myself paranoid... I watch Horror movies for fun, not to be scared, so the ones that will actually scare me I'll probably stay away from...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Stephen » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:42 pm

Based very very loosly on a real story...the only thing real about the movies was that there was a guy that killed a bunch of people with a saw...but it was in Wisconsin. Ed Gein..inspired the movies Psycho, Silence of the Lambs, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The storyline the new movie uses is pure fiction.
Stephen

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:14 pm

Another horror slasher movie The Texas Chainsaw Massacare is supposed to scare you out of your pants. I know for one I'm not going to see it.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Stephen » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:26 pm

sigh...sad...it was an execellent movie...managed to jump me a couple times...which I admire a movie that can do that.
Stephen

Postby Technomancer » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:04 am

See the Japanese version of "The Ring", it is much better than the American remake (although the makers could have used a decent lighting technician).

Also good:
"Into the Mouth of Madness" - Lovecraft inspired film
"The Resurrectionist"- Another Lovecraft inspired film based on "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward".
"The Thing"

The original Scream was pretty clever too.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Straylight » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:24 am

Another "thing" fan! I still maintain that's the scariest film of all time.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Stephen » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:46 am

Mouth of Madness...was that the one with Sam Eliot?
Stephen

Postby Technomancer » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:06 am

That's the guy from Jurassic Park right? If that's who you mean, then that's the guy.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Stephen » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:10 am

Maybe it was Sam Neil...somthing like that...yes he was the guy in JP. I am not crazy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen

Postby Venus Rose » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:46 pm

Nope, nope...Don't like horror movies! Unless they're hilariously cheesy like "I know what you did last summer", lol.
Venus Rose

Postby SenseiPenPen » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:18 pm

A friend of mine made me watch Phantasm last week... Kind of intriguing, wouldn't mind seeing more. Midget zombies, attack!
"How can I ever save the world /on cup-o-soup and student loans?" - Five Iron Frenzy, "Where the Zero Meets the Fifteen"
SenseiPenPen

Postby Shinja » Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:25 pm

wow you can chalk me up for not injoying the horror movies, man,.... :wow!:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Stephen » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:44 pm

Horror movies are a great thing....I think they should let me write one...mwahhaa
Stephen

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:35 pm

The only horror movies I recall seeing are:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1980's remake)

The ending was so freaky! I almost wasn't able to get to sleep after this one.

Night of the living Dead (Bits of the original and the remake)

These didn't really scare me, and the old one was incredibly cheesy.

The Others

Not as scary as I thought it would be, but some parts did make me jump.

Return of the Living Dead (parts of it)

This one didn't even scare me a little bit.

The Ring

I LOVED this one. I'm seriously considering importing the originals someday.

Nightmare on Elm Street (Most of it, edited for TV version)

I saw this when I was about 10 or 11, (WITHOUT my parent's permission, of course :eyeroll: ) This movie scared me so bad I was scared to death of taking a bath.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Stephen » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:47 pm

Watch the original Texas Chainsaw massacre from the 70's...you wont eat a burger ever again lol.
Stephen

Postby Eldatari » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:05 pm

OOooh, do Alfred Hitchcock's movies count? If so, cout me in. I am fanatical about his movies - I've watched almost all of them. I don't know why I like them so much, but I do - hitchcock was brilliant...

-El
Not many people know this, but I happen to be famous.
Eldatari

Postby Stephen » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:25 am

Of course Hitchcocks films count! There some of the best.
Stephen

Postby Technomancer » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:32 am

I was just watching "Uzumaki" (Vortex) at the anime club's showing last night. It's a live action Japanese horror film, very badly done...classic cheese. If you're not too squeemish, it's really pretty funny, albeit also pretty confusing (ludicrous camera angles, random transitions, and completely illogical segues). Real MST3K material :thumb:

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Lochaber Axe » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:08 am

When I was younger there was two movies that creeped me out.

One was ET (ludicrous I know but I refused to even watch it, those two dreams didnt help any :sweat: )

I hadn't even watched this but the cover of the boxs creeped me out: The Chucky movies.

Well the long story short was that I just got over my ETphobia and when my family got cable I forced myself to watch Chucky movies and ended up with a "I was scared of this? :stressed: " revelation.
Lochaber Axe

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:42 am

I'd have to say
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Solid Ronin » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:27 pm

The scariest movie of all time was Steel staring the NBAs Shaq..I like the from Autumn to Ashes song in Freddy vs. Jason I forget what its called
Solid Ronin

Postby Kagan » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:46 am

Hmm, I'm alright with slashers (Scream and stuff), however movies like The Ring and Excorcist spook me. I couldn't use my computer by myself for a week (cause when i'm using my computer the TV was behind me), but at least I got over it. I've seen Ringu 2, and I thought that wasn't very scary. I've still got to see Ringu.
We were meant to live for so much more.
Kagan

Postby true_noir_chloe » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:44 am

Horror movies - count me out. :eyeroll: They're not my thing. I like scary movies, like, The Others, Signs and the Hitchcock stuff. I'd rather be surprised and on the edge of my seat than sitting in a bloody mess of body parts. ;)

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:02 pm

I think you're reffering to slashers, Chloe, a sub-genre of horror movies... And I don't like those either...

What do you all think about the fly? THere were 3 movies originally, but only two got remade... I guess "Curse of the Fly" just wasn't popular enough to be remade, but it would be nice to take the cold war paranoia that fueled the original "curse" into the terrorism paranoia for a remake, I think it would work...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Stephen » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:17 pm

Slashers and horrors go arm in arm...Hitchcock was the daddy of modern day slashers...such as Freddy Jason Leatherface, etc etc. The Fly was pretty cool, i only saw the first one.
Stephen

Postby shooraijin » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:24 pm

I'm not sure if I would call Hitchcock movies the ancestor(s) of modern slasher films, though. It seems a rather large leap in terms of technique.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Stephen » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:51 pm

Well...I would, I know what your saying...but I think his stuff...kinda opened the doors in our culture to it. I mean if horror had began with Texas Chainsaw Massacre...it would have been banned and rated X. Pretty much like saying we dont have bands like Korn or Static X without Elvis. While the 2 are quite different...I still would say one is the father of sorts.
Stephen

Postby cbwing0 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:21 am

I am a big fan of horror movies. My favorites are zombie movies (especially Romero's "Dead" trilogy), although I can't really explain why that is. I also watch horror on tv, and I used to play horror games, such as Resident Evil (the first and second were the best, although RE: Outbreak looks good). I like the ironic endings (then again I also like Dantean contrapassos), although they tend to be predictable, because the same series do them over and over.

Top 5:
1.Dawn of the Dead
2.Day of the Dead
3.Zombie (Lucio Fulci)
4.The Thing-it is good and scary, especially as a concept, but not the best
5.Thirteen Ghosts

I would do 10, but it's lunchtime. :grin:
cbwing0

Postby Stephen » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:19 am

13 Ghosts was weird....zombie movies are always good for a horror film...and the res evil games did rule...my fan being RE3 Nemesis. (looking forward to the RE2 movie coming soon with Nemesis in it)
Stephen

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment