Dance Dance Revolution

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Dance Dance Revolution

Postby Gypsy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:54 am

Ok, I consider this to more of a sport than a game, but I really, really think we need a big DDR thread. I can't begin to tell you how much I love this game, and we can all thank ShirioHikari for suggesting to me that I try it. She created a monster ...

What's everyone's best/favorite songs/modes?

When I'm in the arcade I try to stay on 7 and 8 footers because anything above 8 is a gamble for me. I'll work on those at home first, then show off at the arcade. ;)

My best song is Candy on Heavy.

My favorite songs are Breakdown and My Darling - however I can currently only barely pass them on Heavy. If I'm having an off day, forget it. I still like Breakdown on Standard mode, and I like changing the mods a little. Doing Breakdown/Standard with Dark on is fun. ^^

My favorite warm-up songs (before I make an idiot of myself on the harder ones) are Let's Groove/Heavy (if I'm in a normal mood) or Love Love Shine/Heavy (if I've been waiting in line and watching other people DDR and I'm so hyper I feel like I'm going to explode!).

I'm currently trying to figure out 321 Stars/Heavy. I always pick this one last because I only pass it half of the time.

I don't suppose any of you veteren players could give me some tips on learning crossover steps? I can't for the life of me figure them out and I'll never be able to A any 9 footers/Heavy if I can't do them. Image And what songs are good to practice crossovers?
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Fsiphskilm » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:39 pm

I wish they had mo
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:51 pm

hmmmm...I haven't played in a long time but I'll post here anyways.

Breakdown- gah, so cute. I can barely do it on Standard though right now.
Dream a Dream- I can AA it on Heavy :3
Dive- hard song, but it's cute.
Matsuri Japan- this song makes me frustrated but I love it anyway.
Dam Dariram- X3
Burnin' the Floor
My Summer Love
Sana Morette Ne Ente
My Generation
Captain Jack Grandale Mix- mwahaha

what do you mean by crossover steps?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Gypsy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:58 pm

The way it's been described to me is where your left foot ends up over on the right arrow, and your right foot on the down or left arrow. ^^; So confusing!

And I forgot Sana Morette! I love that one! - just not on Heavy. o.O I feel very ... "ungraceful" when I try it.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:01 pm

ahhh, yeah, I can't do those very well either...my feet get tangled up in knots, lol...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kkun » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:34 pm

Um.. whew, boy. Let's see.

Favorite song(s):
Burning Heat(heavy)
Sakura(heavy)
So Deep(heavy)

Best songs:
Twilight Zone(heavy) (AA, 13 greats)
Drifting Away(heavy) (AA 23 greats)
No Limit(heavy) (AA, can't remember how many greats)

I want to see more people posting records and stuff! :thumb:
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Kisa » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:12 pm

Oh my goodness! This is such a cool game, but I am so uncoordinated with it! My bro lost like 20 lbs on it and is super good! He has an ignition pad too and he can get better scores on that than when he had the basic pad . . .
Wish I could do it! Such good exercise! >_<
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby shooraijin » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:02 am

I'm all left feet with it myself. :sweat: I don't think Step Mania counts either ...
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:18 pm

I love DDR! This thread just reminded me that I need to pick up a couple of the older games...

My favorite songs are:

Dream a Dream
Long Train Running
Burning Heat!
I Like to Move It
We Will Rock You
Tsugaru
HYSTERIA
Nori Nori Nori

I play on Light mode 'cause I'm not hardcore. I play it just for fun.

Rai
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby SManBeyond » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:19 pm

Um, Gypsy, I really hate to break it to you, but DDR is NOT (I repeat: NOT) a sport. :) It's actually a video game, but it would be more appropriate to call it a cult. :)

We have a DDR club / "cult" here at Cornell. You can often see them playing it in the TV lounge in one of the cafeterias here on campus.

My sister is actually a big fan of the game. I have thus been forced to play it by her and thus I do not enjoy it that much (although I do see how it could be addictive). However, she and I are both a big fan of the song "Heaven", so that would be my favorite song (albeit simply because of the song rather than my (or her) ability to dance to it)...
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:05 pm

im sure ddr is mroe of a game than a sport, but anyway

im definately sure i can beat holic on heavy. aaannndddd, I play up to 8 feet. I absolutely love:
V (for extreme)
cartoon heros
kick the can
candy
dynamite rave
furuhatas theme
and.... can't think of more
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Gypsy » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:01 pm

(I'm fully aware that DDR is a game, guys. Lighten up! Image)

Anyway, I'll try to remember to write down my scores next time I play - prepare to not be all that impressed.

Aku, you sound like you might be able to explain crossovers. Please enlighten us all.
Gypsy

Postby Stephen » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:47 pm

I think a sport could be defined as competitive physical work...and anyone that has actaully played DDR on anything other then beginer...heck standard gives me fits....would know that DDR is pretty demanding on your body. Don't think so? Try doing a heavy song...just once. If golf is a sport...as lame and boring...and as little physical output as it takes to do that...then I think DDRing can be considered a sport.
Stephen

Postby SManBeyond » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:26 am

Just to clarify, I wasn't being serious in my last post. I was just trying to poke a little bit of fun since the game is amazingly addictive for many people (albeit not me...yet). Apparently I wasn't clear enough, so I apologize for that...

And I do agree with Shatterheart. Even though I played DDR once or twice, I would admit that it would give you a good workout if you did some of the harder songs and / or kept playing it for long periods of time.
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Lunis » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:57 am

I play it rarely, because I hardly ever go to arcades and don't have one at home. But when I do go to an arcade, it's my favorite game. I wish I could play it more often. It's completely addicting!
It is the infirmity of little minds to be dazzled with everything that sparkles.
Lunis

Postby AngelSakura » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:21 pm

Erm, excuse me, but what's DDR? *feels lost and alone*
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Kkun » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:48 pm

Gypsy wrote:(I'm fully aware that DDR is a game, guys. Lighten up! Image)

Anyway, I'll try to remember to write down my scores next time I play - prepare to not be all that impressed.

Aku, you sound like you might be able to explain crossovers. Please enlighten us all.

Crossovers are a pain in the posterior and everyone's bone of contention, until you figure out the trick. It really just takes practice, but when you see a crossover coming (i.e. left-down-right-down-left-up-right-up-left), turn to the side and basically run on it, or rather, alternate feet. I see lots of people trying to do crossovers with one foot and that takes WAY too much energy. If I saw steps like the above ones coming, I'd do it this way.

First, I'd turn to my right on the pad. Then, I'd go like this.
Left: Left foot
Down: Right foot
Right: Left foot
Down: Right foot
Up: Pivot on my left foot to where I'm facing left and then hit this with my right foot
Right: left foot
Up: Right foot

That sounds way complicated, but it's really not. All I can really say is just turn to the side and "run" on it. :sweat:
Kkun

Postby Lunis » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:42 pm

AngelSakura, DDR is Dance Dance Revolution. You know, the dancing game in arcades where you step on the arrows when it tells you to.
It is the infirmity of little minds to be dazzled with everything that sparkles.
Lunis

Postby AngelSakura » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:22 pm

I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry...
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Nightshade X » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:39 pm

AngelSakura... poor, poor deprived child... here's what you need to do: go to http://www.ddrfreak.com and check out the site. It give you most of the information you need to know.
Nightshade X

Postby noeleon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:56 am

i play but i am not that good.i have friends who are insane at that game.
jesus wasnt born for christmas.
but was born for the cross.

"dont worry about the world coming to the end tommorow its alredy tommorow in Austraila"
charles shultuz creator of "peanuts"comic
noeleon

Postby Kisa » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:39 pm

We used to use the song Heaven in our Kickboxing class here at school ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Nate » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:44 pm

I can remain silent on this subject no longer...

DDR HAS STOLEN BUST A GROOVE'S SPOTLIGHT! :mutter:

There! I said it! DDR doesn't hold a candle to Bust A Groove! Hiro's song, Frida's song...oh yeah and Kitty-N and Capoeira and Robo-Z! I remember at night study once in nuke school a couple of my friends started singing Hiro's song for no reason at all and everyone thought they were nuts!

LONG LIVE BUST A GROOVE! :rock:

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kkun » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:34 pm

Bust-A-Groove? Kill the traitor and bring me his head!!! >_>; Just kidding. Was Bust-A-Groove a game that you could play with a dance pad? I remember only playing it with a controller. Would it have been decent with a dance pad?

Oh, and I have a nice, new score I want to post.

Rap Mania Nonstop Course on DDR Max 2 for PS2:
AA (over 9 songs)
1951 Perfects
63 Greats
0 Goods
0 Almosts
0 Misses
120 O.K.
Max Combo: 2220

w00t
Kkun

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:05 pm

aku... YOURE INSANE! :whew: Now that thats out of my system... umm, how did you manage to get that high a score on DDR2?

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Kkun » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:12 pm

Three words: Cobalt. Flux. Pad. It's so sensitive and it works really, really well. It's 350 bucks well spent (nothing for me, actually, because I play at a place that has DDR set up in their main area, a card game place, so I can go in and play it there).

Not to mention practice. ^^; My best before that was 1 miss and 100 greats and then I decided that that was craptacular, so I HAD to full combo it. Oh, and for the record, the Nonstop course was set on Difficult, the harder set of those songs. I don't think you can get a 2220 combo on Normal Nonstop...
Kkun

Postby desperado » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:58 pm

im a ddr freak as well. personally im on standard (havent ventured into heavy yet) doing i feel, dream a dream, and hysteria for starters and i love xenon on light (its pure evil on standard and heavy) but yeah i love it i killed my ignition red octane pad so now i have a soft flimsy pad............................oh how i wish i had money for a cobalt flux
desperado

Postby Kkun » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:26 pm

I want to get an ignition pad or a Cobalt Flux pad eventually. Cobalt Flux is lovely. So, so lovely.
Kkun

Postby Gypsy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:20 pm

I'll attempt the crossover instuctions later tonight, thanks aku! I also have some scores to post too. For home use, I have a Red Octane ... isn't that horrible, I just forgot the official name of it. Anyway, it's the squishy one with the foam inserts. I have to duct tape it to the floor whenever I play - it's a pain, but I think anything would slide on my carpet.
Gypsy

Postby desperado » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:32 pm

mine didnt do that to bad the back button just went bad really quick. started randomly hitting the back button for no reason (no one was standing on it) then it stopped working all together
desperado

Next

Return to General Entertainment