So this question just occurred to me and I wonder if anyone can answer it

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

So this question just occurred to me and I wonder if anyone can answer it

Postby Never thirsty! » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Ok so you know how Windows machines would show an A: drive and all the other letters A being the floppy disk drive. I saw that on an XP computer and then I looked at my win7 laptop and it started with the C: drive where did A: and friends get taken to of course I could ask Liam Neeson they were obviously taken. But he will never find them if my theory is correct that they get taken to a universe so parallel to this one you can't get to it. "But how MS send the drives there?" Simple the portal only transports technology.
Never thirsty!

Re: So this question just occurred to me and I wonder if anyone can answer it

Postby Xeno » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Ignoring that strange rambling at the end, A: and B: we're used to designate two floppy disk drives in PCs before hard drives were cheap enough for consumer systems. A: was typically a boot drive while B: was used for loading programs/storing files. When hard drives became cheap enough and were added to consumer PCs they had the designation as the C: drive since people already had an A: and a B: drive. When floppies were phased out, the C: drive remained because people were already familiar with it being the primary hard drive and it was just more convenient to leave it as such.
Xeno

Postby Mullet Death » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:41 pm

A: is still "there" if you install a floppy drive (I'm assuming). Or if you mount a virtual one in the case of DOSBox. In OSes that make more sense, there isn't this concept of drive letters anyway.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Never thirsty! » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Xeno wrote:Ignoring that strange rambling at the end, A: and B: we're used to designate two floppy disk drives in PCs before hard drives were cheap enough for consumer systems. A: was typically a boot drive while B: was used for loading programs/storing files. When hard drives became cheap enough and were added to consumer PCs they had the designation as the C: drive since people already had an A: and a B: drive. When floppies were phased out, the C: drive remained because people were already familiar with it being the primary hard drive and it was just more convenient to leave it as such.

It's all so clear now the only thing that remains is how the transportation portal's theory of operation works. If you didn't know this hardware is not my thing however randomness and l sports terminology I can handle.
Never thirsty!

Postby Xeno » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:51 am

Mullet Death wrote:A: is still "there" if you install a floppy drive (I'm assuming). Or if you mount a virtual one in the case of DOSBox.

It is, A: and B: are reserved for floppy drives, likely due to legacy code still in Windows. Drive assignments can be manually changed though.
Xeno

Return to Computing and Links