Broken laptop screen and IE problems

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Broken laptop screen and IE problems

Postby Crossfire » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm

I've got two disasters on my hand right now. First up is my cracked laptop LCD. It's gone white with flashing greys, the usual. Hooked it up to a TV and thought I solved that issue. Well, not quite. I've noticed a black spot near the bottom that's only visible at certain angles, it's giving off some intense heat. I'm guessing that isn't normal, but I can't find anything similar on the 'net.

Problem 2: My parent's desktop PC got hit with that new IE virus, and I've got no idea how to get rid of it. It's blocking access to a ton of programs including McAfee (I tried to talk my parents out of buying it), Malware Bytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials. Once those failed me, I immediately turned off the PC and haven't tried since.

Taskete, onagai.
Crossfire

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:08 pm

can't help you with the monitor problom but as far as the IE virus restart the computer into safe mode with networking and run you antivirus program. What this does is by booting into safe mode the computer only uses the executables barely needed to run the computer and this way whatever programs the virus is attached to don't start this is when your antivirus can snuff it out and get rid of it. If that doesn't help then any further fix could prove complicated.
/summon Alucard on those who need a hug
shinpaku alliance: Metolosophy, Ace33Wing, Diamond Dragon, Ally-Ann and Broly Ultimatrix
http://www.bronyland.com/pony-personality-test/?q=NDg2MHw1MTgwMzM
Broly Ultimatrix

Postby Crossfire » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Yeah, thanks. I tried rebooting it and logging on to a different account, which somehow bypassed the virus's reign of terror. I was able to download a new version of MB and I'm running a full computer scan as I type. I'll post the results once it's finished.
Crossfire

Return to Computing and Links