Hosting Images

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Hosting Images

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:48 am

I've had a Website with Speakeasy (well, what used to be Speakeasy) for seven years now, and am looking to reduce expenses (I pay monthly for hosting, e-mail, monitoring, and the like).

What I really want to do is just host images; that is, I want to put my pictures up somewhere so that, if I need to refer to them in a forum post or an e-mail, I can do so, without significant (or any, if possible) charge.

I note that Flickr and Photobucket are used widely. Do people find these sufficient for these purposes, and are there drawbacks?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:03 am

Photobucket is good enough for me, personally. I think that there's some limit to the amount you can put on if you're not a paying member, but I have perhaps about 400 images on there so far and haven't hit it yet.
Atria35

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:39 am

flickr is better for photography, so if that's what you're doing, go for it.

Otherwise, for throwaway posting of images on forums and such, I just use imgur.
blkmage

Postby ClosetOtaku » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:06 am

OK, thanks!!
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby shooraijin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:33 am

Second vote for imgur, though now that I have a T1, I've started using my server again for stuff (more convenient).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to Computing and Links