debian apt trouble

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

debian apt trouble

Postby RefractedAhav » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:30 pm

Any debian experts out there? I broke apt on wheezy while trying to compile blender 2.5. I need help either fixing it, or finding a way to install an iso to thumbdrive with out unetbootin as I can longer use apt to download anything.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:52 am

What do you mean, you broke it? What exactly did you do, and what is apt doing now?

Were you trying to get apt to see the version of blender that you compiled from source, or did you even get that far?
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Valkaiser » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Debian's disk images can be written directly to a thumbdrive using the dd command.
The syntax looks like this: "dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/cdrom".
Where /dev/cdrom is the device node for your cd burner.
It can also be /dev/cd, /dev/dvd, or /dev/sr0.

Read the man page before you try it.
Valkaiser

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Valkaiser (post: 1500329) wrote:Debian's disk images can be written directly to a thumbdrive using the dd command.
The syntax looks like this: "dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/cdrom".
Where /dev/cdrom is the device node for your cd burner.
It can also be /dev/cd, /dev/dvd, or /dev/sr0.

Read the man page before you try it.

... "if" is the input file and "of" is the output file. But yes - be sure to at least scan the man page first. XD
Mithrandir

Postby Valkaiser » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:11 pm

Valkaiser (post: 1500329) wrote:The syntax looks like this: "dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/cdrom".

Oops, I don't know why I was talking about the cd drive.
Writing to a thumb drive should be more like "dd if=debian.iso of=/dev/sdb" if /dev/sdb is the location of your thumb drive.
Valkaiser

Postby RefractedAhav » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 am

sorry I haven't responded. If I remember correctly one of my attempts to solve the problem ended up breaking several packages which I could not get to reinstall correctly. I have since switched, with much hesitation, to fedora 15 and found that my bamboo and blender both work "out of the box".

thank you for your help, and I will keep this advice in mind for latter. However now I have a different problem, and that is a lack of portability. My laptop emits a strange almost ozone like odor when ever the battery is installed and the comp is turned on. It used to not work at all, so I've just had to keep my laptop plugged in. Does any one have any suggestions of an affordable laptop that is good for graphics?
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Return to Computing and Links