Computer won't boot the hard drive that I tell it to!

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Computer won't boot the hard drive that I tell it to!

Postby Ingemar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Hello gang.

Lately my computer won't start up with the device I tell it start up with and yesyesyesyesyes, I've done the boot priority thing in the BIOS and selected the Boot device I wanted in F11.

Some background info:

My primary HDD is a 250GB IDE device with Windows XP Pro (last service pack). For a while I had a 75GB (you can all stop laughing now) SATA drive with Windows 7 Ultimate, just to try it out. If I wanted to go back to my old 250GB drive with XP, it was as simple as going to BIOS, switching around the boot priority and there ya go, back to old hard drive.

I recently got a 1.5TB SATA drive, loaded Windows 7 Ultimate on it. Now, for whatever reason, whenever I load my computer it is ONLY the 75GB hard drive with Windows 7 Ultimate that ever gets loaded. No matter what boot device I put on top or anything.

Thoughts?
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:17 pm

If you disconnect the 75GB drive, does it revert to allowing you to boot from the other ones again, or has it permanently disabled the other ones?
Mithrandir

Postby Xeno » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Have you checked the jumper pins on the new drive? Made sure it's not set as a Slave drive instead of a Boot or Master drive?
Xeno

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:40 am

Just to be explicit, is the issue just that it won't boot from the larger drive, or that it won't see the drive at all?
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby shooraijin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 am

Xeno (post: 1472714) wrote:Have you checked the jumper pins on the new drive? Made sure it's not set as a Slave drive instead of a Boot or Master drive?

SATA doesn't have master/slave.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Xeno » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:34 am

shooraijin (post: 1472916) wrote:SATA doesn't have master/slave.

O rly? I haven't had to work on a computer in a while, and I haven't messed with too many SATA drives as most of the computers I have worked on were still using PATA, so I guess I just forgot about that.
Xeno

Return to Computing and Links