Where can I learn computer jargon?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Where can I learn computer jargon?

Postby TheMewster » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Me needs to develop my nerd side of mah brain a bit quicker. So where can I learn the basics of computing? Thanks and God bless you.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:30 pm

If you have a techie brother (like I do) ask him. (Of course, a techie sister would be just as good. XD) Or anyone else you know who's good at computers and wouldn't mind explaining stuff to you.

I'm afraid I don't know of any books or sites you could read, sorry.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Xeno » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Computer jargon can be a lot of things. From l33t sp33k to talking about a computers front-side bus to compiling a program in Linux using the Terminal. Exactly what kind of computer jargon are you interested in learning, and what do you plan on using this information for?
Xeno

Postby Slater » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:12 am

If ya wanna start learning a programming language that's relatively straightforward and practical, I recommend picking up a beginner's Java book (there are many out there), and once you have a handle on that, learning the differences between Java and C/C++ will provide a synergistic experience that extends beyond simply knowing both languages. IMO, if you can get a handle on that, you'll have a grasp on the majority of the functional paradigm of computing :)
Slater

Postby Hiryu » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:11 am

The term you use for computer jargon is a bit broad. Typically, most users will not hesitate in explaining it to you.
Hiryu

Return to Computing and Links