Reading Japanese characters

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Reading Japanese characters

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:49 pm

I had my computer fixed last week, but it seems to have "forgotten" how to read all kinds of Japanese characters. Is there a way to fix this problem without downloading anything? I tried adjusting the character encoding in Firefox but nothing happened.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby goldenspines » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:57 pm

Are you on a PC or an Mac?

For a PC, you go to Control Panel > Region and Languages > "Keyboard and Languages" tab > Change Keyboards > Add... > Scroll down to "Japanese", click on the little plus sigh by it, then click on the plus sign by "Keyboard", and click the boxes "Japanese" and "Microsoft IME" < then save the changes.
This will not only allow you to type in Japanese, but you will be able to see Japanese characters in documents and on your browser (instead of the weird squares or whatnot).

For a Mac, I have no idea. XD I hear it's a bit easier though.
goldenspines

Return to Computing and Links