Xbox Live strange connection problem

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Xbox Live strange connection problem

Postby Wolf-man » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:14 am

Hey guys. I have a problem that could use all of your technical expertise. My friend at college just got Xbox Live Gold for his 360 and he is trying to connect it to the internet via ethernet cable. For some reason his computer would not connect to xbox live. It recognized that the cord was there but it would not connect. He tried his roommate's computer and same problem occurred. Then my suitemate used his computer and now it works. We can't figure out why it works with my suitmate's laptop but not with my friend's. My friend has a macbook pro and my suitmate has a sony PC (unsure of the specific model but it is windows vista OS) So if you guys could help in any way I would be much appreciative. Thanks!
Wolf-man

Postby Wolf-man » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:16 am

sorry for the double topic. Mods please delete one. Thank you!
Wolf-man

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Although, this has to do with the XBox, this seems to be more of a tech problem ^^ Lets move this to Computing ^^ Maybe, you'll get more help there ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Hiryu » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Maybe i'm muisunderstanding something here, but the computer itself doesn't connect to Xbox live, the 360 does. It doesn't need the computer to play online games, just the modem and if necessary, router.
Hiryu

Postby MxCake » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:49 am

yea can we get more info please im kinda confused on what your asking
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby Wolf-man » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:20 pm

I am at a college so there is no modem out in the open. He connects one half of the cable to the port in his computer than the other half into his Xbox.
Wolf-man

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:24 pm

sounds like you need a router

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby MrKrillz0r » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:24 pm

I have to agree with mech, sounds like you need a router. ^^
MrKrillz0r

Postby Wolf-man » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm

But here's the thing: Other people are able to use Xbox live using the same set up with no router and of course they can't remember how they did it.
Wolf-man

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:21 am

I have a similar problem where, after an update, I can't connect to XboxLive. It keeps asking me to download an update, but it refuses to download the update. If this the problem, then there is a quick solution: download an update onto a flashdisc and then update it from one of the front USB ports. If its a different problem, then I can't help you.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Roberts » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Wolf-man (post: 1454881) wrote:I am at a college so there is no modem out in the open. He connects one half of the cable to the port in his computer than the other half into his Xbox.

How does the Computer connect to the internet? WiFi?
Roberts

Return to Computing and Links