Opera acting funny

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Opera acting funny

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:35 pm

So, this is frustrating me to no end, and I don't know what the problem is.

Recently Opera has been acting a bit strange on certain things, and it's only today that it's gotten to the point where it's actually become unbearable. I can only think of two specific instances where this problem occurs.

One is on CAA, if I use the "Quick Reply" box or edit my post, my post vanishes. Not literally, I mean. It actually posts, but when I click "Submit post" or "Save changes," Opera will refresh the page in such a way that my post appears to be nonexistent (even though it is actually still there). The second I refresh the page, my post shows up, but it doesn't immediately after posting or editing.

The second is on Giant Bomb. When I try to play their video, the tab completely blanks. For the past couple of months, I was able to just press the back button on Opera and it would automatically start playing, but today I was trying with all my might to get one of their newest Quick Looks to play, and it won't. The tab just blanks out whenever I press the Play button.

It's very frustrating and I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it. I don't have any content blocked on GB or CAA so it isn't an ad blocker or content blocker problem. I'm also using version 11.00 if that helps (and Windows XP of course).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Do the things require Javascript?
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:18 pm

I honestly have no idea. It's possible? I'll update Java and see if that does anything.

EDIT: As an aside, I made this post in Firefox, and I used Quick Reply and it immediately showed up, unlike what happens in Opera. I suspect that this edit will also show up as well, rather than making my post disappear...so whatever the problem is, it's gotta be specific to Opera.

EDIT2: Yep, the edit showed up immediately in my post as soon as I saved it.

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Okay, testing quick reply now that I have updated Java.

EDIT: Nope, post still "disappears" when I use quick reply or edit.

Nate

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:01 pm

I heard that some people have problems with Javascript in Opera.
To be honest, I would say to use Firefox if you want, just in case you need it.
Ante Bellum

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:45 am

Nate (post: 1453189) wrote:One is on CAA, if I use the "Quick Reply" box or edit my post, my post vanishes. Not literally, I mean. It actually posts, but when I click "Submit post" or "Save changes," Opera will refresh the page in such a way that my post appears to be nonexistent (even though it is actually still there). The second I refresh the page, my post shows up, but it doesn't immediately after posting or editing.

Yeah, this happens to me too, but it only happened in the last two weeks or something. I haven't founds a solution, so I just refresh...
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Hiryu » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 am

I have the same exact thing happen to me when I quick reply too.
Hiryu

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:28 am

Possibly around the same time, I type something into the Wikipedia search box on the front page and press enter, and it does nothing.. does that happen for anyone else? I was certain it used to respond to enter....
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Pressing enter on Wikipedia's search box works fine for me. However, another problem I'm having is when I try to comment on Blogspot sites, I have to click the "preview" button three or four times before the preview box where I can type the captcha will actually show up. This gets really annoying.

Nate

Postby Alcuinus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm

note: updating java will not affect javascript. these are two entirely different beasts.
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Return to Computing and Links