Converting an mkv file

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Converting an mkv file

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:44 pm

I tried to watch a mkv file on my laptop; the audio was fine, but the video got affected somehow. Is there a way to convert a mkv file so that it can play in the DivX player?
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Did the file get corrupted? Or maybe you don't have the proper codecs installed?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby CrystalChalice » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Technically, it's not corrupted. But now I just realized that my other videos were converted to DivX beforehand.
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby MxCake » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:19 pm

if you google mkv to wmv or divx or somthin there are some free converters that can convert it.
[color="RoyalBlue"]"At the end of the game,The king and the pawn go back in the same box."-Italian proverb[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]I will never fail you or forsake you.-Hebrews 13:5[/color]
MxCake

Postby Midori » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 pm

That's kinda sad because the video in mkv files are usually in a format that is way superior to xvid/divx.

Anyway, if you can't figure out a way to convert it, but you can make a link to it somehow, I might be able to convert it for you.
Midori

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:59 pm

Or you could download Media Player Classic and the Combined Community Codec Pack and see if that would work? It might be quicker and more painless than trying to convert the video file.

[SIZE="1"]but that's just my opinion[/SIZE]
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:52 am

What is an mkv? I don't think I've ever encountered one.

SUPER is a video format converter that works with almost anything, and it's free. So it might do what you want.
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
The page looks a bit old and spammy, but it's a pretty decent jack-of-all-trades converter (I've tried it).
And don't click download on the ads - click download at the bottom.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby armeck » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:13 pm

awwww w4c beat me. yeah SUPER is friggin 1337! if you have virus protection it may claim there is a virus in the program but there isn't it's just because it has a lot of plugins that convert a heck of a lot of stuff and windows doesn't recognize all of them. this program even converts blue ray files! it wont run on a netbook because of the window size.
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby blkmage » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm

MKVs are only containers that wrap around other content. If there's no video, then chances are you're missing the codec required to play it. If it's anime, most groups encode using softsubbed H.264 wrapped in MKVs nowadays. Usually, getting the Combined Community Codec Pack will have everything you need.
blkmage

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:46 pm

I think vlc plays mkv files now.

Videolan.org. Probably one of the best and most versatile video players out there. I highly recommend it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Arya Raiin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1452799) wrote:I think vlc plays mkv files now.

Videolan.org. Probably one of the best and most versatile video players out there. I highly recommend it.

I second that! If it doesn't play on VLC then it might be corrupt. :/ Grr, I hate it when that happens too.
Arya Raiin

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Thirding the VLC suggestion. VLC plays pretty much every video file type I have ever encountered, .mkv included (I actually downloaded it three or four years ago in order to watch an .mkv file). It's awesome, and a whole lot easier than converting unfamiliar files. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Slater » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:19 am

I ran into issues playing MKVs in Winamp. Sure enough, VLC fixed it for me.

For such a simple-looking app, VLC is particularly powerful for these things. Highly recommend it; you'll either need it today or tomorrow!
Slater

Postby armeck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:38 pm

i've watech mkv's in VLC
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Return to Computing and Links