Diaspora Social Networking

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Diaspora Social Networking

Postby RefractedAhav » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:01 pm

I've been following the development of this new open source social networking site that's just recently went alpha. I haven't received my invite to join the official "pod" right now but I did manage to find one that kinda works. From what I saw, it looks like you'll be able to keep one account for all the various "aspects" of your life with out worrying about your potential boss seeing those embarrassing pics of that otaku gathering gone wrong. The even call these different sections that you have the ability to add and delete at will aspects. Oh, I mentioned pods earlier, from what I've been reading, Diaspora is run on a cloud and individuals and orgs have the ability to run their own server or pod and either keep it private or connect it to the official pod.

It's written in ruby, so anyone that thinks they can improve apon it and has a good understanding of programming shouldn't have to much trouble.

Right now it's developed mostly with CentOS in mind, but I can see other branches being developed as the community grows.

I was just wondering what ya'll thought of all this. Personally when it is stable I am defiantly ditching face book as my primary networking tool.

***disclaimer: please forgive me is this sounds like an advert, it's just that I'm really excited about this. Probably more than I should be.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Just remember: What's on the internet, is on the internet. XD
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby klomp123 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 pm

I signed up for an invite too. I'm not quite clear on how the whole "pod" thing works, but I'm pretty excited for it. It looks quite promising.
klomp123

Postby RefractedAhav » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:52 am

a pod is basically an instance of the site run on a separate server or cluster. I am not sure how, but it supposed to be possible to link pods to the main pod and I think to other pods. Pods can also be kept private so that an organization or company can have their own custom and private social networking site built on the same foundation.
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Return to Computing and Links