[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Need help on removing a virus - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Need help on removing a virus

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Need help on removing a virus

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Today, I some how got a virus. The first made it look like the mstsc.exe, but I now that the mstsc.exe file is a Windows core system file. The program has a visible window.

But this mstsc.exe file is located in a subfolder of "C:\Documents and Settings" and this is a virus.

After I got it, when I was doing Google search. It show links that I was looking for in search, but when I click on it, it would sent me to another search page. If I back out and it click again, it would go to the link that Google search had found.

Antivirus program didn't pick it up, but Malwarebytes was able to pick up the files and remove 8 out of the 10 and then when I reboot, it took care of other two files.

Now that this has happen, the internet wouldn't work and the proxy server wouldn't let me on any page on the net at all. It wasn't until I change it to auto detect proxy setting for the network, that it would let me on the net at a slow pace.

I have Windows XP and using Firefox.

Thanks,
Roy Mustang

Postby Midori » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:03 pm

Gee, I'm sorry to hear this. From what I've heard, the best strategy is basically carpet-bombing--download a lot of different (free) antivirus tools and see what they say. A virus can thwart one of them but it's hard for it to thwart all of them. Once the virus is removed for good and all, you probably want to uninstall some of them (because they can bog down your computer). I don't have much personal experience with viruses, so someone else's advice will probably be more valuable than mine.

Now, if I was going to just post from my opinionated feelings I'd say go install Ubuntu and never worry about viruses again, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to get used to using a new OS.
Midori

Postby Midori » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Gee, I'm sorry to hear this. From what I've heard, the best strategy is basically carpet-bombing--download a lot of different (free) antivirus tools and see what they say. A virus can thwart one of them but it's hard for it to thwart all of them. Once the virus is removed for good and all, you probably want to uninstall some of them (because they can bog down your computer). I don't have much personal experience with viruses, so someone else's advice will probably be more valuable than mine.

Now, if I was going to just post from my opinionated feelings I'd say go install Ubuntu and never worry about viruses again, but you don't have to do that if you don't want to get used to using a new OS.
Midori

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:15 am

Heck, I usually just do a back up and reinstall the OS. Installing 50 different anti-virus/malware/spware programs seems like more work to me.

(I tried dual booting Ubuntu on my laptop and it just about bricked my laptop...)
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:10 am

Okay, got everything fix and now up and running.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Return to Computing and Links