Questions...

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Questions...

Postby Nami » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:25 am

I'm not sure if this goes here, but it seemed like my best shot. So here I go.

For a while I've been considering getting internet, and if I get it, its going to be for my laptop! I really would like to take the internet anywhere with me, but a usual modem would be fine as long as I can connect. I'm tired of using my grandparents computer and frankly, so are they.

I have not yet purchased the laptop I desire, but when I do, I just want to be prepared! So any suggestions on the internet service I should choose?

I am fond of Verizon, they have been good to me in the past and I really like them. I'm not really in favor of Comcast, but please...I want some opinions on which is better, a modem or a wireless card.

Thanks! :3
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:18 pm

First Get a wi-fi card

Second, for mobile internet Verizon's 3g is pretty good but you really have to watch the bandwidth cap 5GB goes fast if you're doing any thing heavier than keeping up with the news.

so if you get that only watch videos on the wi-fi card.

I don't know much about cable/DSL or anything else like that but if you can get it I'd recommend it.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Nami » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:17 am

Ok, I'm still new at this whole thing, can you recommend any sort of brand for Wi-Fi cards?
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Well, any laptop you get today is going to have a wifi card in it. Most ISPs provide you with a wireless modem when they hook you up.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1429972) wrote:Well, any laptop you get today is going to have a wifi card in it. Most ISPs provide you with a wireless modem when they hook you up.

This is likely true. With the exception of some very obscure machines, virtually all modern laptops will have a wifi card in them. This does not mean you'll get internet access if you don't also sign up with an ISP, but it does let you connect in pubic wifi spots (coffee shops, etc).

For home wireless, if you're going to get cable anyway, then a cable-modem might be a solution. If you don't like going cable, you can do what I do and get DSL. There are other solutions, but they tend to be more expensive.
Mithrandir

Postby Nami » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:34 am

DSL is something I'm fond of... I had it for a while when I was younger and wasn't paying the bills XD

Ahh, but shouldn't the laptop say if it has a wifi built in?
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:42 am

I'm not sure. What are you looking to buy? If you're buying new, you can contact the manufacturer. You can't see it. Like with my laptop, there's a little panel on the underside and under it is a little card and the antennae run on the side of the screen, all under the plastic covers.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nami » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:02 am

I'm looking at Toshiba Satellite, theres a specific model I want. ^^ Ooh, Ok. I'll have to do that.
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:45 pm

If you post the model, we can probably find out online somewhere. A google search for "toshiba [x] wifi" (where [x] is the model number) would probably work.
Mithrandir

Postby Nami » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:34 am

OH! Nevermind!

^^;; I feel sheepish! it does have a built in wifi, I just saw it on the details >>;; sorry. But that still leaves me wondering, is a modem good? Then I can hook up to it through the wifi card I have? Is that how it works?
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 pm

[quote="Nami (post: 1430390)"]OH! Nevermind!

^^]

All the computers in my house, (2 laptops and 1 desktop) are run on wireless, and none of them require the modem to be hooked up to them. It's actually just plugged into a wall where there is a phone jack.

I dunno if that answers your question...

But you CAN plug it into a modem, but you don't have to.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Nami » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:06 am

o.o Sweet, well that sounds about right.

But, I meant does the Wi-Fi card help hook up to the modem? o.o so all I need is the modem and I can log on it with my Wi-Fi card? or do I need some sort of adapter? o.o
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:10 am

If your modem is wireless, then your laptop should hookup just fine. The computer should have instructions and the ISP provider should be able to help you set it up. I know for my modem, I had to plug directly into it with a cable and activate the wifi and the cable company helped me along.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nami » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:17 am

Ahh, Ok. That also comes with a way to protect your wireless modem so no one else can mooch off it right? My granddad told me that was something you could do. >.>; Alright, I'll look into that. Thanks ^_^
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:56 am

There two different types of wireless:
- Wifi/802.11/wireless LAN is to talk to other computers and access point within a 30m or whatever radius. If your access point is a provides broadband somehow, then that's good and you can have multiple computer use the internet through that. (You need to worry about setting a network password here so other people around can't steal your precious internet).
- Wireless internet is usually through a card or USB dongle connected directly to a laptop, so it communicates with the phone tower 10km away or whatever. No one can use your internet quota but you, because it's connected directly to your laptop.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Nami » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:56 am

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you Sam!

Everyone's been so great about my ignorance ^^; thank you everyone.

Now it comes down to what internet service I should use >>; I'm looking into Verizon, but... its $19.99 a month WITH a phone line, and i don't have Verizon phone, otherwise I believe its $29.99 a month ^^; I believe. Its a bit pricey, but I like Verizon the best, unless someone can tell me a different internet service that offers a good price and internet XD;;
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:04 am

I used to have AT&T DSL, and just got the super-basic local-only phone service with it. It cost me an extra $5 or so, but saved a lot more by giving me the "with phone service" price. It was pretty cheap in my area, but see what's available where you live.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Nami » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:41 am

Ok I will do.

Also, my sister has me questioning my choice. her BF just got a P5 apparently laptop, and she told me I should look into it... and I don't really need a that FAST of a computer >> I just want one that works fast, well and efficiently. Can anyone tell me is a p3 is bad or not? o.o
Yours Truly,
Nami

Return to Computing and Links