Infostealer, whut?!

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Infostealer, whut?!

Postby MrKrillz0r » Sat May 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Hey.. my anti-virus just told me I had a trojan called "Infostealer" in my World of Warcraft folder. There have been loaaaads of hacking in the game lately, probably people who take the accounts and sell them after a while or something. Anyway I wonder how bad this virus really is and what to do. Myself I have a authenicator key (Which makes it impossible for the hackers to take my account even though they got account name/password) so I'm not really bothered about that, its more that I don't want to have a keylogger sneaking around in my computer. And my anti-virus told me that it deleted the virus, though it told me that four times now so I don't know what to believe really, is it really gone or not o.o
MrKrillz0r

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 16, 2010 1:29 pm

As far as I know, it is unlikely that you got any malware from WoW itself. In many cases, something else chose to infect that folder. I've read a few articles about various pieces of malware that target WoW players and sites, so that could easily be the reason.

I would be cautiously suspicious. It is possible that your antivirus just deleted four different parts of whatever it was, but it is also possible that your system isn't really clean. A good general recommendation is to download a new scanning program and run a full scan. Not another anti-virus program (what do you have, by the way?), but something specifically anti-spyware or anti-malware. Some well-supported user friendly examples are Malwarebytes and Spybot.
uc pseudonym

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:04 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1394801) wrote:Some well-supported user friendly examples are Malwarebytes and Spybot.

I must second the use of Malwarebytes. It helped me save my computer several times when it came to trojans and malware.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby MrKrillz0r » Mon May 17, 2010 5:09 am

The virus doesn't come from World of Warcraft, but its a common virus who takes the accounts of the players. Its so common that I would say like 50% or more of my WoW playing friends have been hacked by it. They put the virus in things they know the WoW player would download and then take their accounts. The virus must have gotten to my computer when I was at a big LAN here in Sweden called "Dreamhack". Apparently there is a chance virus spreads through the LAN. So I think I will just wait til I start school again (2morrow) and ask the teacher to remove it just for safety.
But still it makes me wonder, who is the big company or whatever who is behind all of this hacking, I'm sure there is plenty though.
MrKrillz0r

Return to Computing and Links