help with airport card

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

help with airport card

Postby firestorm » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:11 pm

hey everyone I was wondering if you guys can help me out with a Mac problem. You see I've got a a powermac g4 quick silver and I'm trying put in my new airport card but I don't know how to install it. I have a linksys wirless router and I'm wondering how you install a airport card and connect it to a wireless router that's not made by apple. mind you that the router and comp is clear across the house. yeah I know it's difficult buy I think you guys are more than able to help me. Also are there any drivers I need to download for this? thanks for the help. i really need this to get my work done. Thanks guys God bless you!!!
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:28 pm

If you get an air port card for one of these guys, you can install it by pulling the loop to swing the side down, then inserting it into the mount towards the front of the motherboard. Be sure not to forget the antenna. Let me see if I can find a quick tutorial online somewhere... Ahah! WLM has instructions on how to open the box, etc here:

http://macs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=macs&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.info.apple.com%2Farticle.html%3Fartnum%3D58695

That's actually for replacement, but it's fairly similar. It's not really very complicated.

Unless you get a standard WiFi card and try to hack it to use in place of an airport card; that can be tricky. What kind of airport card did you get? Is it one designed for it, or is it like a PCI card or something?
Mithrandir

Postby firestorm » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:55 am

[quote="Mithrandir (post: 1387137)"]If you get an air port card for one of these guys, you can install it by pulling the loop to swing the side down, then inserting it into the mount towards the front of the motherboard. Be sure not to forget the antenna. Let me see if I can find a quick tutorial online somewhere... Ahah! WLM has instructions on how to open the box, etc here:

http://macs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=macs&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.info.apple.com%2Farticle.html%3Fartnum%3D58695

That's actually for replacement, but it's fairly similar. It's not really very complicated.

Unless you get a standard WiFi card and try to hack it to use in place of an airport card]

this is the one I got for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-AirPort-Wireless-WiFi-Card-Power-Mac-G4-iBook-G3_W0QQitemZ250599637360QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a58e70170#ht_2488wt_1167

I know it says ibook but on the site it says it's also compatible with mac so I'm hoping I can connect to it. is their any video instructions cause I'm still stuck on it a bit. (sorry sometimes reading it is a bit hard to understand for me.)
Come check my facebook fan page here If you want to see some great photography and art!

I am currently on my 4th draft of the script for Canvas! Canvas is a watercolor animated short about how everything declares of a Creator and how everything happens for a reason. If anyone would like to help by sending me resources on watercolor or animation it would be greatly appreciated!

I am also on my 1st draft of a short live-action Romcom called "Behind Every Good Man! Behind Every Good Man is about a Bride-to-be, Evelyn, who must stop her Mother-in-Law, Pamela, from living her dream wedding through Evelyn's. Along the way she learns what it means to be a Woman of Integrity today! If anyone wants to help let me know!

Location: Lovin the Miami Heat. And I ain't talking about the basketball team :3

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Mithrandir

Postby firestorm » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks mithrandir for all your help! guess what? I'm on my mac right now! finally got it connected! for a 8 year old system this is pretty fast. I'm loving this mac right now man for real.

anyways I didn't know it was this easy to install. i thought the antenna was something on the airport card I didn't notice that someone had tied it up with a tie wrap in front of the airport slot. After, I was like dude this is easy!

next up: 1. looking up anti-virus software and protection for the mac.
2. putting up adobe creative suite!

do you know of any where I can get the anti-virus software and maybe some protection from hacking?

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:30 pm

Sweet!

If you've got a software firewall, you're mostly set. I don't use a/v on my macs. I use firefox with Flashblock, Ad Block Plus, and NoScript and I only enable scripts on sites that I need and trust. That keeps my fairly secure. Just don't try and torrent any applications, and only download apps from sources you know are legitimate.
Mithrandir

Postby firestorm » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1387524) wrote:Sweet!

If you've got a software firewall, you're mostly set. I don't use a/v on my macs. I use firefox with Flashblock, Ad Block Plus, and NoScript and I only enable scripts on sites that I need and trust. That keeps my fairly secure. Just don't try and torrent any applications, and only download apps from sources you know are legitimate.

true that true. the only reason I was asking for it is because I'm a graphic designer, this is the only computer in my house and I when I have a client I don't want to accidentally transfer a corrupted file to their pc when I send them my artwork and accidentally cause damage that I might just have to pay for later.

guess I should download all those though huh? where would you find those programs besides firefox obviously

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:33 pm

firestorm wrote:guess I should download all those though huh? where would you find those programs besides firefox obviously

If you are asking about where you can get Flashblock, Ad Block Plus, and NoScript. They are ad ons for Firefox, so just download FF and then click on add ons and search for the three programs.

[font="Book Antiqua"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby firestorm » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1387551) wrote:If you are asking about where you can get Flashblock, Ad Block Plus, and NoScript. They are ad ons for Firefox, so just download FF and then click on add ons and search for the three programs.

[font=Book Antiqua]Col. Roy Mustang[/font]

thanks man for the help now their added on there as well. just want to know a couple more things. As I said before I'm looking to get some anti-virus or anti-spyware programs for the mac, so any suggestions would be great.

Also, what are programs you think are must haves on a mac? I already got Microsoft office, quicktime, windows media player, and itunes. anything else you guys suggest?

Postby firestorm » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:10 am

Ok so I got the antivirus programs, now I just need to find the photoshop stuff. Any ideas where to get photoshop cs3 trial download for mac? Besides the adobe website I mean. Because they don't have it there anymore.

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:19 pm

If Adobe doesn't have it there, you're probably better off not trying to download it from somewhere else, as you'll likely be violating the TOS. If you really want photoshop and you're a student, the academic pricing is pretty good. Be aware, however, that using an academic version of the product for economic gain (as part of a client project) is prohibited by the TOS. If all you need is a free piece of software to do some graphics processing, you may want to check out GIMP (there's even a GIMP thread around the boards somewhere; I'm sure you could find it with a quick search).

Obligatory note to followup posters: Linking to illegal downloads of software is against the rules of the board.
Mithrandir

Postby firestorm » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:57 pm

[quote="Mithrandir (post: 1387921)"]If Adobe doesn't have it there, you're probably better off not trying to download it from somewhere else, as you'll likely be violating the TOS. If you really want photoshop and you're a student, the academic pricing is pretty good. Be aware, however, that using an academic version of the product for economic gain (as part of a client project) is prohibited by the TOS. If all you need is a free piece of software to do some graphics processing, you may want to check out GIMP (there's even a GIMP thread around the boards somewhere]

Oh that's not what I meant, I'm very against burning and illegally downloading anything. what I mean is I'm looking for the abode cs3 trial version because it's 30-day long and at the end it asks whether to purchase abode cs3 or stop using the software. the only reason why I'm looking for it is because i'm buying the software tonight but it won't be getting to my house for a couple of weeks, and my classes end in a couple of weeks and I need to get work done. that's why i want the adobe Cs3 trial version because it's not illegal because it tells you to purchase it (actually it asks for a product key which you would have to purchase.) I would not let myself use one of those product key programs. which Is why I'm purchasing the program but again due to time constraints I do need the trial version in order to finish classwork. by the time the 30-day's are up i would already have the cd-roms at my house ready to install.

If I'm breaking any terms of any TOS though please by all means close this thread. I don't mean to cause any trouble.

Return to Computing and Links