Operating Systems... Raise your hands everbody!

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Operating Systems... Raise your hands everbody!

Postby Valkaiser » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm

According to my search there has of yet been no poll on this subject.
Anyway, for research purposes I propose that a general survey of the board's operating systems would prove enlightening. Mayhaps we could compare it to other data, such as figures for OS usage of the internet as a whole.

...and it will be fun!

Note: Select the operating system that you use most for your primary computing device, but feel free to mention others you use.

Ahem, for myself I use GNU/Linux of the Arch variety.
Having many computers, I also use the following GNU/Linuxen: Gentoo, Debian, OpenSuse.
...and when the need arises (unfortunately) I use WinXP.
...and DOS, I love DOS 6.22.
Valkaiser

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Laptop - OSX 10.3
Desktop - OSX 10.5/Win XP

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:33 pm

My main machine is my Macbook Pro, which is running OS X 10.6. I run XP on a VM on it for playing visual novels. My past machine was running Gentoo on it for a long while though and I've kept my machines at home running Ubuntu.
blkmage

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Add another to the Macintosh group. I'm running OSX 10.5 for general use and Win XP for gaming.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby J.R. » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Macbook Pro, OSX 10.6 for me.
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Windows 7. When I get my own computer I'm going to get a Mac though.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Windows XP for me ^^ This is all I know (OS wise).. Stop picking on me D=
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:12 pm

I dual boot Windows XP SP 3 and OS 10.6. Primary is OS X.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Icarus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Once I replace the hard drive in my laptop, I intend to see if I can get Gentoo running again. Until then, Ubuntu.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Windows XP SP2. Best Windows OS I know of, haven't even touched 7 yet. Vista is devilry.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Wow, am I the only one here stuck with Vista?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:13 pm

(Yes.)

My main laptop is Mac Intel OS 10.6, my old one is Mac PowerPC 10.4.11, and that one I use for a lot of graphic work (I bought it with the programs already on it.). For gaming and some miscellaneous things I use a desktop Windows XP. I wanted to be able to load that on this laptop (Because let's face it, it's definitely big enough, and it would be amazing for the game I play.).
Ante Bellum

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:20 pm

I object to your assertion that "macintosh intel" is an "operating system."

But I don't have a "primary" OS, per say. I jump back and forth between 10.5 and 10.6. mostly 10.6 at work and 10.5 at home, because I'm too lazy to update the box that's hosting all of CAA's ancillary services; I don't want them to be offline for hours at a time.

edit: And I'm deeply sorry you have to use Vista, Shi! Also, I'm dumbfounded at the fact that we currently have a 3 to 1 win to Linux ratio. That's usually 300 to 1.
Mithrandir

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:22 pm

I use a Mac with OS 10.5! Haven't tried 10.6 yet, but I like 10.5 well enough! XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Yeah Mith, my lappy came with Vista Home Premium and I don't have the money to upgrade the OS, and frankly, don't feel like dealing with the hassle either. XD Vista hasn't given me all that many problems, thankfully.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby shooraijin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:18 pm

Quad G5, 10.4.11, or TiBook/867, 9.2.2. POWER ISA forever!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Valkaiser » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1380182) wrote:Stop picking on me D=

I sorry! :hug:
I was intending to be mildly abrasive to the idea of using Windows in general:sweat:
I prefer XP over any Windows that have come after it so far (previous ones lack driver support for my hardware...)
Mithrandir (post: 1380264) wrote:I object to your assertion that "macintosh intel" is an "operating system."

I uh, know almost zip about Apple computers. People rarely throw them away, so I don't find them in dumpsters (one of my main sources of computing hardware).
That said, I consider changing architectures to be a pretty major thing OS wise.

EDIT: I also assumed that they dropped support for the previous architecture, and I don't know any of the versions :sweat:

Anyway, in view of my naivete in the area, would you care to enlighten me as to your reasons?
Valkaiser

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 pm

The reason is that the architecture isn't an OS. For instance, OS X 10.4 and 10.5 both run on both Intel and PPC. That's not the only example; it generalizes beyond just Apple computers. Linux and BSD both run on a billion different architectures. Hell, at this point, even Intel can't really be considered one architecture, what with there being x86 and x86-64.
blkmage

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:12 pm

It's been Win 7, but I'm going to try to get my money back on my laptop. Too many problems with it. If they charge me for the bit of plastic I took out (that's sitting in its hole a bit precariously) that's fine as long as I get most of the money back. It's worth trying.

I'll be back on Win 7 as soon as I either put all my private stuff back on the laptop I'm trying to take back (if they refuse) or the new, better researched laptop I get to replace that one if they do take it back.

If Adobe released on Linux, I'd switch over forever. I don't really game on my Computer except for emulators (and I did have steam, and being able to use Unreal Editor would be nice), Open Office is on microwaves and wristwatches, and Maya at least has one (maybe more) Linux version. Adobe is the main thing holding me back. There's just no decent open-source equivalent to the Adobe Suite. Even Gimp is weak compared to Photoshop, and that's the only decent one I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Valkaiser » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:30 pm

blkmage (post: 1380283) wrote:The reason is that the architecture isn't an OS.

Oh I agree completely, but porting a single architecture OS to an entirely different one is a major change, one significant enough to be a historical marker in the life of the OS.

EDIT:
Bobtheduck (post: 1380285) wrote:If Adobe released on Linux, I'd switch over forever......... Adobe is the main thing holding me back. There's just no decent open-source equivalent to the Adobe Suite. Even Gimp is weak compared to Photoshop, and that's the only decent one I've seen.

Have you ever tried Wineing it? I haven't tried Adobe myself, but Wine works wonders for other things.
Valkaiser

Postby ich1990 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:21 am

Windows 7.

It took a bit of coercion to get me to give up XP, but going from XP Pro to Windows 7 was a virtually painless transition. Both are very solid operating systems.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Windows XP

I plan on upgrading the game rig to 7 in the near future, but I'll be leaving my laptop with XP

I also have DSL installed on my thumbdrive.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Dante » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Windows Vista 7 XP. (The last symbol isn't X.P. it's just Microsoft sticking it's tongue at you )
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Warrior4Christ » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Laptop: Windows 7 (64) (primary)/Ubuntu 9.10 (32)
Desktop: Windows XP (32)
Work: Windows 7 (64) (primary)/Ubuntu 9.04 (32)

Bobtheduck (post: 1380285) wrote:Open Office is on microwaves and wristwatches

What? WHY? Because such devices do of course of a full keyboard and a high resolution screen.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:20 am

Valkaiser (post: 1380287) wrote:Have you ever tried Wineing it? I haven't tried Adobe myself, but Wine works wonders for other things.

http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePremiere

Apparently, no. Not that the Adobe stuff is working on here, anyhow. Because I made the mistake of deleting some media player files, which Windows considers part of its core functions, right up there with the paper clip and that application that's nothing but Hitler's face with his eyes flashing,

1. Windows says it's not genuine
2. I can't even pay for a "genuine" new copy of windows in addition to overpaying on this laptop, because Microsoft's website says it can't validate my credit card... The credit card there for which wasn't even a place to input a number. Or, rather, there was for about 2 seconds, then there wasn't. It won't stay open, but instead tells me I've opted to pay through a third party, which I didn't.
3. My Adobe stuff won't stay open any more.
4. I can't install any windows optional things like Movie Maker (WHAT THE CRAP? The quickest video editor on the planet is optional, but their 999,999 out of 1,000,000 media player isn't) And, yes, I NEED movie maker... It's an intermediary when I work with outside video files on Premiere. Premiere doesn't handle files it didn't capture itself very well...

To make things worse, the receipt for the laptop just disappeared. I know where I put my paperwork. I'm pretty messy, but receipts all go in the same place, and it's not there, so i can't return the laptop. I can't fix windows, this is a nearly 800 dollar waste of money... SO much of it stemming from stupid copyright protection measures...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Straylight » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:02 am

I've got windows 7 on my main computer, I've also got a box which I use for web development - that runs Ubuntu.

Was extremely impressed when I upgraded to 7.
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 am

Have a dual-boot running Ubuntu and my "This copy of windows is not genuine" Win 7. As of now, I'll use Win 7 for the Adobe suite and for iTunes. I'll use Ubuntu for everything else... Though Ubuntu doesn't seem to like the multi-touch touch pad on my laptop... I have to be careful how I touch it so it doesn't jump around like crazy.

EDIT: Oh, and it's really annoying how 99% of software distro'd on Linux is distro'd as SOURCE CODE. There's plenty of good stuff, but trying to do everything with the terminal is frustrating. What is wrong with executables?
Bobtheduck

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:43 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]On my desktop, I'm running Windows XP Professional. On my netbook, I'm running Windows XP Home, and it's driving me nuts! I know there's no SERIOUS difference between Home and Pro, but I would prefer having both my computers running the same OS.[/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby shooraijin » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1381179) wrote:Have a dual-boot running Ubuntu and my "This copy of windows is not genuine" Win 7. As of now, I'll use Win 7 for the Adobe suite and for iTunes. I'll use Ubuntu for everything else... Though Ubuntu doesn't seem to like the multi-touch touch pad on my laptop... I have to be careful how I touch it so it doesn't jump around like crazy.

EDIT: Oh, and it's really annoying how 99% of software distro'd on Linux is distro'd as SOURCE CODE. There's plenty of good stuff, but trying to do everything with the terminal is frustrating. What is wrong with executables?

1) Not every Linux runs on the same architecture (in fact, I'd venture the majority are on smaller embedded systems that aren't x86 at all), so source is generally more useful.

1a) Source may be required by license (for GPL, for example).

More importantly, however,

2) What kind of package manager do you have that has so few binary packages? There are prebuilt packages for x86 for just about anything in Ubuntu, and quite a few other arches.

3) If you are allergic to the terminal, reconsider Linux. ;)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:48 pm

shooraijin (post: 1381375) wrote:What kind of package manager do you have that has so few binary packages?

I was wondering this myself.

Code: Select all
apt-get install <pgkname>

works REALLY well for practically everything I've ever wanted to install on Ubuntu. The only semi-hard thing I've found is figuring out what apt-get thinks the package name should be. e.g., adding GD support to php:

Code: Select all
apt-get install php5-gd
Mithrandir

Next

Return to Computing and Links