Quick Launch buttons not working

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Quick Launch buttons not working

Postby Cloud500 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:34 am

Okay, so I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with Vista installed on it. The quick launch buttons above the keyboard keys are no longer working. All of the buttons are lit up except for the sound buttons. I've restarted the computer several times and looked through menu options, but nothing is working. I'm terrible with computers and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to possibly fix this.
Cloud500

Postby Cap'n Nick » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:11 am

I have the same model of laptop and had a similar problem when I tried to streamline the operating system. I accidentally removed the quick launch helper programs, which of course rendered the buttons useless. If something similar is happening to you, you may have some luck reinstalling the programs, which can be found here on HP's site.

When they're running, the programs will put a few entries in the task manager (QLBCTRL.exe) and the installed programs list (HP Quick Launch Buttons). You can check those to see if they're at least installed and running.

HP has a bit more info on this stuff here.
Cap'n Nick

Return to Computing and Links