Best Anti-Virus Software

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Best Anti-Virus Software

Postby Dante » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:18 pm

So, I'm sick of Norton Anti-Virus. I can't conclude that it eats up all of my RAM and slows my compter down as badly as a virus itself, but to avoid symantec's evil creation, I've decided the time has come to consider the alternatives.

I was wondering if anyone else here had troubles with Symantec products and switched software to find a happy ending between their computer and their anti-virus? What anti-virus company do you use now (I have a laptop that needs to find an anti-virus after I wiped out Norton).

Your thoughts?

Thank you,
-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm working tech support for internet right now. The programs I get the most calls about are Norton and McAfee (and the anti-virus my company provides, but I don't think any sane person would really consider buying it). So, from my little corner of the world, those look to be the worst. I actually use the McAfee that came with my computer at home, though, and it hasn't eaten my computer yet.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Whitefang » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:21 pm

Malware bytes is one of the best free virus scanners out there. At my work, we actually tend to prefer it over the virus scanning software that our University purchases for students, staff, and faculty. (I work part-time in IT).
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:42 pm

I have used Trend Micro Internet Security Pro and I like it.

I would kind of like to try AVG, but the free version. My college uses that one and it updates and doesn't eats up RAM. Trend Micro Internet Security Pro doesn't eat RAM as well on my computer.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:42 pm

We use AVG as well. The free version does well, it covers the basics. The paid version also helps with rootkits.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:52 pm

After I dumped Norton I immediately got AVG, and it's pretty solid. They try to constantly get you to get the paid version, but just go to their site and get the free version. It works just as well (unless you're worried about rootkits, like Ante mentioned).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:50 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1361583) wrote:I have used Trend Micro Internet Security Pro and I like it.

I would kind of like to try AVG, but the free version. My college uses that one and it updates and doesn't eats up RAM. Trend Micro Internet Security Pro doesn't eat RAM as well on my computer.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]

Another Trend user. It's pretty good. (I also noted Norton's memory-eating tendencies when I had it.)
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:25 pm

I would echo the general sentiments that AVG is fairly dependable (I use it at home). At the companies and colleges I have worked for, they used paid software for the critical computers/servers but AVG for general ones. Combine the free version with anti-malware and maybe anti-rootkit and you're decently covered.

However, if you like other things about Symantec, consider updating it to the 2009 version (I don't know if they have a deal for a cheap upgrade). 2009 is much less resource intensive and is favorably considered by some friends of mine.
uc pseudonym

Postby Esoteric » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:12 pm

At work we use Vipre (not a typo) Antivirus by Sunbelt. It's not free (costs about $40 a year for a subscription) but you can download a free trial version to see if you like it. It's no memory hog, nice and streamline. I'm impressed by it.
Esoteric

Postby Riggidig » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:54 am

I've been using a combination of AVG as well as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (both freeware) at home for the last 2 years and I've yet to encounter anything I cannot handle.
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:13 am

I have a friend in I.T. who swears by Kaspersky Anti-Virus. I'm not sure if it's available in the US but it's very popular in Europe and South Africa.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Kaligraphic » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:12 am

Kaspersky is pretty good - it's usually near the top of the rankings. I used it at my last job. It was a bit of a pain to deploy automatically, and the documentation wasn't that great, but the product itself was otherwise excellent.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Riggidig » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Just curious, but I just wanted to know what people think about Panda. We used to use Bit Defender at work but it was causing problems the whole time with blocking certain software. We switched over to Panda a couple of months back and for it's relatively inexpensive price it's not that bad. Been thinking of getting the single user version for my home PC as well cause the price isn't that bad.
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:10 pm

I use Avast and I've been happy with it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Avast.

I've experimented with a number of anti-virus programs, including one I foolishly spent actual money on, used once, and then lost in a hard drive wipe, and to date Avast is the only one that's popped up on occasion to tell me "We just killed a Trojan trying to get on your computer. It's dead now. Just so you know."
Fish and Chips

Postby Peanut » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:53 pm

Currently, I'm using a combo of Malwarebytes, McAffe, and SuperAntiSpyware. McAffe I would recomend to no one, its better then nothing. Malwarebytes is just awesome and SuperAntiSpyware has a nice little feature which gives you an alternative way to open it in case some malware is preventing it from opening normally.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1373863) wrote:Avast.

I've experimented with a number of anti-virus programs, including one I foolishly spent actual money on, used once, and then lost in a hard drive wipe, and to date Avast is the only one that's popped up on occasion to tell me "We just killed a Trojan trying to get on your computer. It's dead now. Just so you know."

So I take it you like Avast?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby RidleyofZebes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:40 pm

As Roy, Ante, Nate, UC, and Riggidig have said, AVG Free is possibly the best option. I use it in tandem with Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster.

This combination of programs has kept all the computers in our house and several of my friends' safe for many moons. And best of all? It's all free. :D
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm currently using Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes ^^ They make a pretty good combination ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby ADXC » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:31 pm

For me Avast is the best.

AVG free is better than nothing; however, Avast keeps your computer safe from many viruses.

I agree with Fish, it does let you know time to time when it finds a Trojan, malware, or anything else bad.
ADXC

Return to Computing and Links