Stupid question about wireless routers

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Stupid question about wireless routers

Postby sharien chan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:59 pm

So this is probably a really stupid question but I thought I'd ask. I need to buy a wireless router for my Mac. Before I buy one I want to make sure that there aren't specific ones that you need for a Mac.

Also which router would be good to get? I know nothing.

Thanks!
sharien chan

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:07 pm

So that your Mac gets wireless? Typically any wireless router will work. Our wireless router is hooked up to a computer, but I think there is a way to get past it (I haven't figured it out quite yet and I don't want to mess with it until the computer is no longer used for Internet.) The AirPort is made for Macs and I don't think that it needs to be hooked up to a separate computer. But yeah, most conventional wireless routers should work.
Ante Bellum

Postby sharien chan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:20 pm

My macbook has airport in it, and I would just have to plug the wireless router into the internet modem.
sharien chan

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Okay then. Like I said, a basic router should work as long as there aren't any special requirements (which there shouldn't be, as it sounds like it's a "normal" wireless card). I'd double check everything to make sure it will be compatible but otherwise, routers are typically the same.
Ante Bellum

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:16 pm

Nothing special needed. I use mostly CISCO routers for wireless and all I own are macs (at the moment).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Whitefang » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:56 pm

I recommend Netgear, myself. But really just look at the ratings on newegg and pick one that seems to be fairly reliable. Also make sure that you get a warranty where you can ship the router back for a replacement if necessary, the failure rate is low, but still significant enough to plan for it.

When you get the router, I'd be happy to help you out with setting it up. It can sometimes be a pain.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Hakaii » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am

The routers are rather generic these days. Haven't run into issues getting a Mac to connect to a wireless router (other than when the network went down, but that is a different rant). The important thing to note in router type is that a "N" wireless router is (to date) the most current with the best bandwidth. a "G" wireless router is much slower. However, if your wireless card does not support "N" routers, "G" routers are good enough for most web browsing. I wouldn't play an MMORPG on a "G" router.

Oh, and there are no stupid computer questions. Just stupid technicians that think they are too smart to ask for help. I should know, I'm the guy who goes in after them and fix what they did/did not do.
MY World of Warcraft character:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?cn=Min%C3%A1to&r=Cenarius&ST=US-2191607-NLVS5sjRN3JDCotGsxVmv1ff9ZkZSGYRVta

I'm not megamaniacal... I'm as good as I say I am!!!
Hakaii

Return to Computing and Links