I like Trains.

Spawned by the randomness of the general board, here are the threads where you can do fun, pointless things. You may test the forum's features and make signature or avatar requests. Posts made here do not go towards your post count.

I like Trains.

Postby Neane » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:41 pm

Nuff Said.
Neane

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Trains are pretty awesome. I'm going to be sitting in one some time this month for an 8and a half hour trip to North Carolina. Yaaaay!
TopazRaven

Postby Neane » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:47 pm

May you have a Fun and a Safe Time! And: A train!
Neane

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:02 pm

My ex loves trains.....like LOVES them. lol I used to collect them when I was little :P
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Neane » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:05 pm

My father made a shed that is full of little trains that run on little electric tracks. About 30 of them.
Also, I have about 9 VHS tapes and 12 DVDs of Train Rides. :lol:
Neane

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Neane (post: 1508362) wrote:My father made a shed that is full of little trains that run on little electric tracks. About 30 of them.
Also, I have about 9 VHS tapes and 12 DVDs of Train Rides. :lol:

yea thats kinda what he had, a whole level of his garage his dad made into a diorama for trains, pretty cool. I have like.....10 moves on trains >.> I started liking them when I went on a old fashion steam engine train when I was like 5 XD lol that was like one of the funnest things ever.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:04 am

There's a band by that name, ya know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34o2dO2N6CI
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Neane » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:07 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1508374) wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34o2dO2N6CI

That's an amazing song. Thank you.
Neane

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 am

Neane (post: 1508352) wrote:May you have a Fun and a Safe Time! And: A train!

Why thank you kind sir! I'll let you all know how the train was once I've been on it. xD Don't actually know when I'm going yet. It's a rather random trip down to see my cousin. Haven't been to NC since I was around 15 I think. xD
TopazRaven

Postby TheMewster » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 am

Pfft. Who needs trains when there's the Internet? Then again the internet can't physically transport you so trains have some cool points there. ^^
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby sandalwood » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:53 am

TopazRaven (post: 1508351) wrote:Trains are pretty awesome. I'm going to be sitting in one some time this month for an 8and a half hour trip to North Carolina. Yaaaay!

I live in North Carolina, and therefore it is awesome. Enjoy your stay!
:pikka: My DeviantART :pikka:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(╯°__°)╯︵ ┻━┻ - Mark 11: 15-17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"]~Life doesn't have to be perfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]believe[/color] in God.
~It doesn't have to be imperfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]need[/color] Him.[/SIZE][/font]
sandalwood

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:11 am

sandalwood (post: 1508429) wrote:I live in North Carolina, and therefore it is awesome. Enjoy your stay!

Thank you! I do indeed plan on having a good time. xD It will be my first real train ride! xD By myself to.
TopazRaven

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Trains are cool.

There's a train station where I'm going to school. It's active, running AmTrak engines; diesels; don't know what kind. I'm surprised people still ride trains, but it's actually a very nice way to travel I've heard.

http://trainspictures.net/Funny-train.jpg

ok, not like that.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 pm

[quote="ABlipinTime (post: 1508510)"]Trains are cool.

There's a train station where I'm going to school. It's active, running AmTrak engines]
I've heard it's a pretty fuel-efficent travel method. Also, I think most trains in the U.S. nowadays are in cities, where car traffic can get unbearably slow.

On-topic, I have no memories of riding a train (though my mom says I was on one when I was little), but I'd like to. Also, I'll be writing a book sometime involving trains, so I've studied them a bit and they're neat.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Neane » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Wait. You are going to write a book about trains and you have never been on one (Or at least remember it)? That's the same as writing an essay.
Neane

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Neane (post: 1508796) wrote:Wait. You are going to write a book about trains and you have never been on one (Or at least remember it)? That's the same as writing an essay.

Well, writing a book involving them. The ones that show up will be slightly different from real ones due to worldbuilding (fire magic! steam power! :D), so some details will be different anyway. I'd still like to ride one (closest thing I remember being on was, I think, an old cablecar), but unless I suddenly get an opportunity to travel quite a ways away, it's not happening. So I'll be doing a *lot* of research, at least for early drafts.

And... I'm not sure what you mean about essays. o.o?

FllMtl Novelist

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:34 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1508795) wrote:I've heard it's a pretty fuel-efficent travel method. Also, I think most trains in the U.S. nowadays are in cities, where car traffic can get unbearably slow.

Interestingly enough: I've heard from several people that steam engines are actually more efficient than diesel. Go figure. However, diesel is better for moving slow (I guess that's because it's hard to slow down a steam engine).

Yeah, many trains run in cities, and there are quite a few that run from cities out to airports. Maglev (magnetic levitation) trains are used in these scenarios because they're fast, fuel efficient, and it doesn't cost nearly as much to run some magnet track out to an airport as it does between major cities.

Something you might consider for your stories is cost and feasibility of production: is it possible to build a track over the terrain in a specific region of your world? where do the resources to build these trains come from? how much does it cost? etc
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Neane » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:36 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1509043) wrote:Interestingly enough: I've heard from several people that steam engines are actually more efficient than diesel. Go figure. However, diesel is better for moving slow (I guess that's because it's hard to slow down a steam engine).

Yeah, many trains run in cities, and there are quite a few that run from cities out to airports. Maglev (magnetic levitation) trains are used in these scenarios because they're fast, fuel efficient, and it doesn't cost nearly as much to run some magnet track out to an airport as it does between major cities.

Something you might consider for your stories is cost and feasibility of production: is it possible to build a track over the terrain in a specific region of your world? where do the resources to build these trains come from? how much does it cost? etc

You should help FllMtl Novelist with her book. They are very great.
Neane

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:26 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1509043) wrote:Interestingly enough: I've heard from several people that steam engines are actually more efficient than diesel. Go figure. However, diesel is better for moving slow (I guess that's because it's hard to slow down a steam engine).

Interesting.

And yup, those are all questions I'll address during the world-building process. (Which for this story has been put aside because I'm doing something else for NaNoWriMo.) :)
Neane (post: 1509076) wrote:You should help FllMtl Novelist with her book. They are very great.

I don't know where you got that information, but thank you! XD

FllMtl Novelist

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:15 pm

"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:43 pm

I like that train to aliveinHim. Oh how I miss my childhood. :lol:
TopazRaven

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1509982) wrote:I like that train to aliveinHim. Oh how I miss my childhood. :lol:

Me too, those were some good times.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:09 pm

"Coughs and sneezles, spread diseasels!"

FllMtl Novelist

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:43 am

We have the biggest set of Thomas trains ever. I now use them for when I babysit. We build the biggest tracks ever.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Wooden tracks, and the cars connect with silver magnets? Or a different kind?

FllMtl Novelist

Postby Crossfire » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:31 pm

I still have all my "Thomas" stuff from my childhood.
Crossfire

Postby Vii » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:07 pm

I like trains...I like trains...now where have I heard that before?
ASDF Movie!
Vii

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:30 pm

ABlipinTime

Postby Neane » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Vii (post: 1510948) wrote:I like trains...I like trains...now where have I heard that before?
ASDF Movie!

Someone made a Baccano! amv using that audio.
Also, the same person made a Baccano! amv using the Brooklyn rage song.
Neane

Postby sailorsaturn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:58 am

The first time I rode a train it tried to leave me in the middle a a forest...
sailorsaturn

Next

Return to Goof Off and Testing