Socially Awkward Moment of the Day

Spawned by the randomness of the general board, here are the threads where you can do fun, pointless things. You may test the forum's features and make signature or avatar requests. Posts made here do not go towards your post count.

Socially Awkward Moment of the Day

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 pm

So, I'm assuming that some of you, like me, can be ridiculously awkward at times.

For example, just now, I was talking to a Japanese guy I don't know very well. I was trying to say to the guy, "Hey, why don't we go grab some coffee at some later time just to chat and get to know each other a little better?" but instead of saying something like that, I blushed for some unknown reason and said, "I'd... uh... like to hear about... how you liked America... and stuff..."
:drool:

I followed it up with a very casual, "But I could totally understand if you didn't want to go."

Way to make a casual social encounter sound and look like you're asking someone out. >_<
:bang:

Socially awkward moment of the day.

He declined, btw, so... yeah. :/ Guess I'm not making new friends today.

Anyway, enough about me. Let's use this thread to commiserate over our combined social awkwardness. What are some of your socially awkward moments?
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:29 pm

I have socially awkward moments all the time. I don't think I can remember any specific instances.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:00 pm

So last year, this fellow I liked was coming into the school cafe just as I was leaving to go to class. I had my wallet and stuff on the small table between the chairs, but I walked out the door without grabbing it. Twenty seconds later, I ran back inside to get it. He had it and he was like "I saw you left this and I was gonna call you to come get it, but then I realized I didn't have your number." So then I was like "Thanks" and walked away.

Later that evening (or maybe it was the next day or the next week), I realized that I missed the perfect chance to actually give him my phone number and I basically ragequit'd.

That's not really socially awkward, but oh well.

And then there was this one guy at Otakon this summer who sat on the other side of the table from us in the karaoke room and tried to hit on us by talking about the origins of the word "karaoke." This was funny/awkward for multiple reasons. A) We were at an anime convention and he was informing us about karaoke. B) He was trying to talk to us from acrooooooooooooooooooosssss the table while there was loud music. C) I'm pretty sure he was trying to pick up chicks by sitting far away and trying to talk to them in a loud room. Suave words don't work if the ladies can't even hear them! XD
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby kairo14 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:19 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1451846) wrote:So, I'm assuming that some of you, like me, can be ridiculously awkward at times.

For example, just now, I was talking to a Japanese guy I don't know very well. I was trying to say to the guy, "Hey, why don't we go grab some coffee at some later time just to chat and get to know each other a little better?" but instead of saying something like that, I blushed for some unknown reason and said, "I'd... uh... like to hear about... how you liked America... and stuff..."
:drool:

I followed it up with a very casual, "But I could totally understand if you didn't want to go."

Way to make a casual social encounter sound and look like you're asking someone out. >_<
:bang:

Socially awkward moment of the day.

He declined, btw, so... yeah. :/ Guess I'm not making new friends today.

Anyway, enough about me. Let's use this thread to commiserate over our combined social awkwardness. are some of your socially awkward moments?

hahaha. that's too funny

Well. I for one have the typical movie dude moments when a girl talks to me for the first time and I lose about 50% of my IQ, more than what I want to admit.

The other day this really pretty girl stopped walking right in front of me, turned, and said: "so what's your name."

I froze like wet noddle dropped into the middle of the Antarctic. I couldn't think. And suddenly I couldn't even remember my own name! I was desperately trying to remember my name, when, I saw her take her finger and point to my name tag on my shirt and said: Oshea? Embarrassing!

Lets just say I never really spoke to here again! I mean, who wants to marry some guy who cant' remember his name?
ImageImage
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]www.osheadavis.com / "MOES: Go, and scroll no more." [/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Dragonballz rocks, and, Jesus Saves / Naruto does multi-clone no jutsu,, but,, Jesus gives new-birth no jutsu[/SIZE][/font]
kairo14

Postby Kaori » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Things that you would normally say in conversation in English, with Americans, totally don’t transfer over at all if you try to say them in Japanese, and vice versa. I can identify. Also, talking to Japanese people of the opposite sex is way harder and still makes me feel flustered sometimes.

Were you talking in English or Japanese? The Japanese have a great idiom for expressing the general idea you were trying to get across, which is また会いましょう or また会おう、depending on the politeness level. Unfortunately, it’s more of a ritual phrase that expresses the sentiment “let’s meet again sometimeâ€
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 pm

kairo14 (post: 1451862) wrote: I was desperately trying to remember my name, when, I saw her take her finger and point to my name tag on my shirt and said: Oshea? Embarrassing!

OK, that is funny. XD

This one time my bff and I went to Gamestop and was totally getting "that vibe" from the cute cashier there. I had intended to buy more than one game for my new hand-me-down Gameboy Advance, but I was so flustered by the fact that I was getting interested vibes from a cute guy that I only bought Super Mario Bros. 3. I and my friend (Princess Zelda) went to Starbucks, then I decided to go back to buy one more game.

I bought another game and was helped by the same guy, then as I was leaving, he calls after me, "Come see me again!"

To which I very smoothly replied...
"Maybe... not... MAYBE..."
Yuki-Anne

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:36 pm

[quote="Kaori (post: 1451864)"]Things that you would normally say in conversation in English, with Americans, totally don’]

Double post, sorry!

We were speaking in English. The guy had gone to college in America, and I think at a certain point in the conversation (possibly when I for no real reason blushed asking how he liked America) things just started to go downhill. He looked a little freaked out and said he liked America but preferred Japan and felt called to do ministry here. It... it was just awkward. I still feel REALLY stupid.

Yeah, talking in Japanese would have probably been much harder on me, but I could have pleaded 2nd language. Since the conversation was in English, I have no real excuse.

Thanks for the linguistic insight. Also, that is really funny about your class. I'll have to remember that about 大丈夫か。
Yuki-Anne

Postby kairo14 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:55 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1451855) wrote: Suave words don't work if the ladies can't even hear them! XD

hahaha. I will have to remember that one!
ImageImage
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]www.osheadavis.com / "MOES: Go, and scroll no more." [/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Dragonballz rocks, and, Jesus Saves / Naruto does multi-clone no jutsu,, but,, Jesus gives new-birth no jutsu[/SIZE][/font]
kairo14

Postby Ally-Ann » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:37 am

Let's just say I'm always socially awkward. Mainly because I'm shy. I especially hate talking on the phone. And to people I don't know. I can't think of an awkward moment right now, but fear not. There's probably one coming up soon.:shake:
[color="Lime"]My Fictionpress account[/color]! http://www.fictionpress.com/u/740837/Ally-Ann

[color="Yellow"]My Fanfiction account[/color]! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2401061/ArmyAngel316

My nicknames! [color="Pink"]~*[/color][color="palegreen"]Ally[/color][color="pink"]*~[/color] [color="white"](>[/color][color="Cyan"]Mochi-chan[/color][color="White"]<)[/color]

I like mochi. ^^

I question my [color="DarkOrchid"]sanity[/color]. (._.)

Operation: Blackout
Ally-Ann

Postby PrincessZelda » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:34 am

I don't know that this is necessarily an socially awkward moment, but it was awkward and embarrassing... XD;;

One time I was talking on the phone with a friend while playing a video game, and she had to go do something for a minute, so she said she'd call me back in like, 5 minutes. So I continued playing the game, and about five minutes later I get a phone call.

Since I'm playing a game and not paying attention, and I just KNOW it's the friend I've been talking to, I pick up the phone and answer it. Not like normal, but really loud, in a British accent, like "Heeeelllloooooooooooo!"

It was not the friend I'd been talking to. It was a guy I had a HUGE crush on at the time. XD;; And he was just like "Uhh... hi? Is this Laura...?" I just tried to play it off like I'd answered that way on purpose, and continued to talk weird for part of the conversation. I don't think he noticed that I was embarrassed, but I'm pretty sure he thought I was crazy.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Diamond Dragon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:57 am

Ally-Ann (post: 1451907) wrote:Let's just say I'm always socially awkward. Mainly because I'm shy. I especially hate talking on the phone. And to people I don't know. I can't think of an awkward moment right now, but fear not. There's probably one coming up soon.:shake:

At least there's one person that is really shy and hates talking on the phone like me. :o
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

DiamondDragon - the Sky pokemon
Ruling the skies on its thick wings, this Pokemon is feared by all flying beasts. Its twinkling wings change in the sunlight. Some people believe that this pokemon actually has diamonds that grow on its skin. Despite its intimidating size, it is an extremely friendly ally and a very dangerous enemy.
@)}~`,~
Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
http://dragcave.net/view/JXKV4
Diamond Dragon

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Let's see... this last semester a cute guy was checking me out at the library (yeah, no double-entendre there!), and was making small talk about the movies I was checking out. All I could say was "yeah... It's pretty good, one of my favorites,", and then just blushed the rest of the time.

And then there are the times when I've made conversation with guys, trying to signal my interest in them, but they think I'm asking for my very pretty friend (and yes, I totally admit that she's gorgeous). Which makes these things not only socially awkward, but in turn destroy my self-image and confidence.
Atria35

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:43 pm

And then there are the times when I've made conversation with guys, trying to signal my interest in them, but they think I'm asking for my very pretty friend (and yes, I totally admit that she's gorgeous). Which makes these things not only socially awkward, but in turn destroy my self-image and confidence.

Oh fail. You're not the fail, but the situation is a fail.

I remember one time, this guy I like talked to me or tried to and I acted all distant and uninterested because I was nervous and I just wanted to be cooooool, you know? IRL, he probably thought I was brushing him off.

Ladies, tsundere does NOT work IRL.
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:29 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1451946) wrote:Oh fail. You're not the fail, but the situation is a fail.

I remember one time, this guy I like talked to me or tried to and I acted all distant and uninterested because I was nervous and I just wanted to be cooooool, you know? IRL, he probably thought I was brushing him off.

Tsundere is an art. To pull it off requires acting a bit proud and snobbish but in a cute/endearing way. It also requires an almost bipolar deredere approach soon afterward such as leaning against said male's shoulder and saying, "I'm just tired idiot..it's not like..I like you..or anything."

:lol:

You know what stinks? When you talk to a girl for a bit and they just wander off. Following them makes you look like a stalker(and I don't mean follow as in follow them to their car or house or anything like that). Let's just say I learned something about things girls consider "stalkerish" which i avoid now.
Yamamaya

Postby PrincessZelda » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:35 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1451946) wrote:Oh fail. You're not the fail, but the situation is a fail.

Oh my gosh, I always end up doing that when I talk to a guy I like. I always want to punch myself afterwards :bang:
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Lynna » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Well, there are all those times when I'm in such a trance that I walk into the wrong class, and don't notice untill I see everyone's stares.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Oh, I know, right? You try to act cool, because who wants to be really obvious, ESPECIALLY if it turns out the person you like doesn't feel the same way. But then if you act too cool, they just assume there's nothing there... :/

It's hard for me to find a balance. Like, I want to signal interest without seeming like a crazy-aggressive desperate stalker woman, you know? *sigh*
Yuki-Anne

Postby Mimiru14 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:03 pm

I'm shy,so I have awkward moments just about every 5 minutes. But there's been times when I've been creeped on by random,weird guys at school. 0.o Awkward and hilarious in hindsight!
[color="Magenta"]"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."
— J.K. Rowling [/color]

[color="Plum"]"It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's what makes it cool"[/color]:thumb:
Mimiru14

Postby kairo14 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:15 pm

There was this one time where in 9th grade (I think) when I was a typical dude and was mouthing off about how smooth I was with the ladies to some other dudes. Which is the complete opposite; I was and still am a total dork with the ladies. Well, I found myself in a corner when all the other dudes demanded that I prove my boasting by asking out this really pretty girl named Tara, which I just happened to have a crush on her as well.

So, my brother was there and promised to the other dudes he would follow me to make sure I made good on all my promises. Inside, I was screaming like a little school boy; I knew how shy I am and how things like this never end well for me. Yet, I HAD to look good in front of the other dudes, which now I can't even remember their names!

So my brother followed me to the girls house on the next Saturday and hide behind some bushes (he said he felt the Spirit tell him to duck and not be seen with me?), whatever!
I was glad while walking to the front door because I didn't see any cars parked and figured no one, and no tara, was home, yes! I knocked and was actually walking off the front porch, when, to my terrified surprise was so both Tara and her mom both beaming and looking at me with blank faces in the doorway. I hadn't prepared to say anything for I didn't expect anyone to be home. My brain felt like someone popped it out and threw it into the bottom of the Arctic Sea. There was no pulse, no thoughts, no activity of any kind! I have no idea how long I stood there, looking as if I was a deer caught in the headlights, but finally after some time my brain finally had a thought to process. Yes!, you might say. It was a thought, but not a good one. The only excuse I can give for what I am about to write is that this was the only thought my brain was capable of at that moment. So I looked up at Tara and said: "So, do you live here?"

Before the words left my mouth I realized what a stupid thing I just said. All my weeks of planning and hoping to set off a spark with this girl, Gone, in a moment! So I tried one last attempt to dig myself out (which never goes well), and then I concocted the most unlikely story I could think of and said: "I am just seeing who lives in my neighborhood." I could tell, by the look on her face, she wasn't buying it! So I turned around walked off her front porch and we never spoke again for the rest of my life.

Sadly, a couple of years after this advent, I was in a Apple-Bees and I over-heard a table of people talking and they were telling this story!!! I was like, GREAT, now I'm some type of urban legend in this little town!
Needless-to-say I was glad to move from that place and leave all that behind!
ImageImage
kairo14

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1451966) wrote:You know what stinks? When you talk to a girl for a bit and they just wander off. Following them makes you look like a stalker(and I don't mean follow as in follow them to their car or house or anything like that). Let's just say I learned something about things girls consider "stalkerish" which i avoid now.
If you didn't know you didn't know! :lol: I'm sorry about it, that must have been a hard lesson to learn. Chalk it up to us having short attention spans and having it beat into us that any type of following around is creepy from a guy.
Atria35

Postby Beau Soir » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Most of these have to do with the opposite sex so far, lol... Ooohh, the pain, I know it well.

Some things that have happened to me have been cute awkward though. I think there are different types.

Coincidentally, I also have a story from Gamestop. I went to sign up for an Edge card, and when the cashier asked for my email, I froze. I didn't want to give it to him because it has "marthzelda" in it, and admitting that to the male cashier was... too much. (I get so much flack for liking a pairing which has no basis whatsoever. .__.; ) After that, my brother was like, "She's a fangirl," making things worse. There are differences between being a fan who happens to be a girl and being a fangirl...
It was funny though the next time I went back, the same cashier called me "marthzelda." XD

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 pm

You know what stinks? When you talk to a girl for a bit and they just wander off. Following them makes you look like a stalker(and I don't mean follow as in follow them to their car or house or anything like that). Let's just say I learned something about things girls consider "stalkerish" which i avoid now.

If you didn't know you didn't know! I'm sorry about it, that must have been a hard lesson to learn. Chalk it up to us having short attention spans and having it beat into us that any type of following around is creepy from a guy.

Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Nate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Beau Soir wrote:"marthzelda" (I get so much flack for liking a pairing which has no basis whatsoever. .__.]
I dunno they're both swordsmen so I mean hey comrades in arms or whatever. But oh man imagine if Zelda was a girl.
Atria wrote:a cute guy was checking me out at the library

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Beau Soir » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Nate (post: 1452096) wrote:I dunno they're both swordsmen so I mean hey comrades in arms or whatever. But oh man imagine if Zelda was a girl.
Marth:

Zelda:

I prefer pairings that I'm a fan of to be heterosexual. XD

Another awkward moment appropriate for this thread!

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Beau Soir

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:09 am

Beau Soir (post: 1452114) wrote:
I prefer pairings that I'm a fan of to be heterosexual. XD

Except in this case, because Marth is clearly a girl.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:20 am

Beau Soir (post: 1452114) wrote:Marth:

That's a dude?!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Beau Soir » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:29 am

Am I seriously being asked this by anime fans?

You want manry:

--James Arthur Baldwin

Beau Soir

Postby J.D3 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:56 am

I'd have to say that a key characteristic of mine atm is social awkwardness, so unless I'm talking about tech stuff or perhaps theological/apologetics type stuff I often encounter that very awkward silence in conversation!

Also talking to little kids, bright 'n' bouncy and even fellow Christians can be pretty awkward for me too despite liking these people! (Gradually getting better though! haha)

As far as attempting to ask someone out goes - I don't! :D
J.D3

Postby Nate » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Beau Soir wrote:Zelda:

Pssh, no, Zelda is the guy who dresses in green and has a fairy. That chick doesn't even have a name, why would you give one to such a minor character?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Beau Soir (post: 1452128) wrote:Am I seriously being asked this by anime fans?

You want manry:

Okay yeah, that's a lot better. See, in the first picture, the way his tunic kinda flared out near his hips made him look like he had lady hips, and the belt made his waist look narrow, so it made him look like he had an hourglass figure. His hair was pulled back in a girly way too. But in the second picture he definitely looks masculine.

Off-topic, yeahhhh
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Next

Return to Goof Off and Testing