Leaving Legalism behind

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Leaving Legalism behind

Postby TheMewster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:05 am

Hi guys. I'm leaving legalism behind. Trying to be justified through Christ's blood and God's grace ALONE, not through Bible studies or fasting or devotionals. Also trying to be more social so I can practice Jesus' love, since I don't get out much except for church. :(. God bless! Anyone have a similar experience!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Yoshi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:14 am

There is nothing wrong with fasting, and it can be very beneficial at times, although it is definitely not something necessary to live a Christian life. However, in my opinion, Bible studies and devotionals (depending on what you mean by them) ARE necessary!

I am NOT one to talk, since I'm sure that I'm not one of the more spiritual users on this site... but, I still think that if you're genuinely trying to deepen your relationship with Christ without reading His word, it may not work out very well.

I do understand that you are saying that you are JUSTIFIED through grace alone, and I do get that difference... but you have to be careful when saying that, because it can easily become an excuse not to spend time reading the Bible. I know this for myself, because I have not been reading God's word for myself nearly enough the past few years!

Remember, God loves us enough to take us as we are, but he also loves us too much to let us stay there...

Yoshi
DON'T SETTLE -- STAY RUGGED!
Yoshi

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:58 am

Welcome to the club! :D
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Yes reading the Bible is important, but what they're saying Yoshi, is that they're stepping away from taking the participation bible studies (probably organized ones) as a requirement for being a christian. I've been to (and eventually left) several churches that pretty much said you had to be involved all the time to be considered a part of the church, and I've personally found that sort of culture stifling and a negative aspect of my spiritual growth.

I think this is a good thing, and a good move for you Mewster. Being in church to the point of not having a social life outside of it isn't really a good way to find out what the world is really like, or to be able to get to know people and find out about Christianity outside of your own church or the needs (and state) of the community at large.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:29 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1492969) wrote:Yes reading the Bible is important, but what they're saying Yoshi, is that they're stepping away from taking the participation bible studies (probably organized ones) as a requirement for being a christian. I've been to (and eventually left) several churches that pretty much said you had to be involved all the time to be considered a part of the church, and I've personally found that sort of culture stifling and a negative aspect of my spiritual growth.

Just to clarify: Is this what you meant by "legalism" Mewster?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Xeno » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:33 am

TheMewster (post: 1492932) wrote:Hi guys. I'm leaving legalism behind.

That is awesome. Glad to hear this!

Trying to be justified through Christ's blood and God's grace ALONE, not through Bible studies or fasting or devotionals.

Indeed we are justified through Christ's blood and God's grace alone, however, I want to echo what has already been stated by some of the others in this thread. Just because we have been justified doesn't mean we shouldn't read our Bibles, shouldn't pray, fast, have devotionals, etc. They lead to a deeper relationship with God, but they certainly aren't salvational necessities.

Anyone have a similar experience!

Indeed I do. In fact this is what I've just left. The church organization that I just departed is very legalistic and sectarian in it's beliefs. There are certain "holiness standards" of dress that have to be adhered to (these apply mostly to women), if you're not at every single church service your commitment to Christ is questioned, you're often times rebuked if your praise isn't showy enough. It's really ridiculous some of the stuff that happens in that organization. I've just left, so I've not even began going to another church yet, so I'm sure I'm in for quite the culture shock when I start going elsewhere, but I'm hoping that it'll be a refreshing change to be able to live freely in Christ Jesus instead of constantly in the fear of having to maintain my salvation because it could be lost at any moment.
Xeno

Postby Furen » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:02 pm

I would say it's important for getting together with churches BECAUSE of fellowship, however I think you have the fellowship covered (God bless CAA as I live far from my church and most who attend)

Though I do believe it is important for one to have a church they can call home, as it's to get the most out of sermons

but hey, if you don't listen to the sermons, it'd make sense you're not going, you can get everything else on the internet.

Congratulations though Mew, though I wouldn't do this myself, doesn't mean I won't support you.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 pm

It's great to get out, but I find nothing wrong with fasting. It's great because you put things aside for a while and be able to listen to God better. You don't have to do it every single second, but once in a while is good.

Bible studies and devotions is highly important as well in developing a spiritual relationship with the Lord.

But glad to hear your becoming more sociable. As Christians, we must spread the Word to others.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Winry » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Don't think Mewster is saying she doesn't want to do those things any more, but rather she wants to have a different attitude towards them. There is nothing we can do that makes God love us any more or less. I'm not "more saved" a week I read my Bible every day versus a week I don't at all, but sometimes it is easy to think that way. I think that's what she meant by leaving legalism behind. Like Xeno said, doing those things can help deepen a relationship with Christ, but we shouldn't use them to gauge our standing before God.
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Yoshi » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:57 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1493012) wrote:Just to clarify: Is this what you meant by "legalism" Mewster?

I guess we may never know...

Oh, and I think I do understand about how 'required' attendance of Bible study and church can have negative consequences...

That being said, I still think the emphasis might be misplaced (and it seems some other users agree with me!) ... in other words, the MORE you read and study God's word, and hte MORE you pray, the MORE you realise that you are saved by grace ALONE--and NOT by works... it's a sort of virtuous cycle!

Yoshi
DON'T SETTLE -- STAY RUGGED!
Yoshi

Postby TheMewster » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:21 pm

Yeah I felt like I HAD to do Bible studies, instead of wanting a close bond with God. Anyway I got back into Facebook do I can be more social (since I'm basically a shut-in since my parents are antisocial) and I've games more and I actually feel more invigorated and faithful and better. Winry's post is exactly how I think I felt. :) God bless all of you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby ABlipinTime » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:50 pm

Yoshi (post: 1494019) wrote:the MORE you read and study God's word, and hte MORE you pray, the MORE you realise that you are saved by grace ALONE--and NOT by works... it's a sort of virtuous cycle!
Yoshi

I have to throw out my utterly complete contention with this statement, but that's a topic for another thread.

And I'm not sure any church REQUIRES Bible study attendance. If they did, that would be weird. Required for what? Is this the legalism Mewster was talking about? You maybe right - we may never fully know.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth