Broken Laptop Realization

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Broken Laptop Realization

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Okay, this may not be one of those big breakthrough testimonies or anything, but I think it is something worth sharing.

A little over couple of weeks ago, the battery of my laptop got wet and left it inoperable. I was addicted to my laptop, and thus, began to slightly panic when it got wet. It wasn't the first time, but the first time I was able to get it working again in a course of a few hours. This time, it is pretty much done for.

In the few days I began to go without my laptop I was bored out of my mind and decided to read books (Because I live on campus, I don't usually watch television as much) and realized that I haven't read the Bible as much as I could.

I began reading the Bible more and more and then a realization occured to me.

I had put my laptop before God's Word.

I began to feel guilty but then it occured to me how easy it is to make an item your idol when you don't intend to. The internet has many pros and cons, neither is it totally bad nor totally good. But you have to remind yourself what truly is important. I panicked when I lost my laptop despite having many computers around me...but why did I not panic as much about the Living Word?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with having material things, but it is easy to get so attached to them that it can grow into an addiction. It may not be as lethal (let's say as alchohol, smoking and drugs), but it still consumes your life.

So I am going to make an effort to remind myself that nothing is as important as the Word. My laptop was nice and dandy to have, but God's Word is more important than anything else.

I apologize if it isn't a huge deal, but it was something I had come to realize.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Hiryu » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:40 am

Very cool.
Hiryu

Postby TheMewster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:53 am

Yeah, my computer didn't work one time and I felt really depressed. If I were you, since your laptop became an idol so easily, I wouldn't get anoher one for a while. At least until you won't put it before God and His Word. :) God bless you!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Nami » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:36 am

I understand how you feel, which is precisely why I really don't mind the fact that I don't have internet at my house. See, the computer, with internet, is like a drug for me! I was in Missouri for 5 days and I barely used the internet, but when my sister offered to let me use it, I felt drawn to it like a drug, I wanted it. I did, however, push it away knowing that I didn't really want to be on there, it was an addiction and it still is.

Actually, being on the computer all the time is life threatening, because some people eat a lot while being on there and that can cause weight-gain, which causes all sorts of problems for people. In the end, it really is life-threatening, just as bad as drugs, smoking or drinking.

This is a good testimony! Something to learn from. I find myself, less and less addicted to the internet and have gone weeks without internet! And I survived. ^_^ God is good, and His Word should always come first, even though we forget.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby sh51 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks for you testimony.
I feel like I am in the same trouble as well because I am so addicted to my computer. It isn't a laptop and I can't carry it everywhere but most of the time when I am home, I sit in front of my computer usually playing games. And when sometimes the computer blows off, I get really bored. I am so addicted to internet too but there's none at home.
I felt drawn to it like a drug, I wanted it
And I can't resist, and I don't always watch good stuffs on the net (shame!)
Having read your testimony has reminded me that I have put my computer above God's words.And I am willing not to do that way anymore but when I arrive home I do as usual, playing games, doing other things. My bible is probably full of dust now.
I have installed a bible software in my comp too, but it didn't help me neither.
Anyway, thanks for you testimony. It helps
sh51

Postby Nami » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:25 am

It seems a common occurrence, Sh51, but once we really put life into perspective, things will be O.K. Every journey begins with a single step ^_^ You are on your way!
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Glad to hear, Sapphire225. :)
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby J.D3 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:39 am

Brill! I know exactly where you're coming from.
My church has been doing a fast for the last few weeks, and I decided to give up my beloved coffee/caffeine as well as chocolate both of which I really enjoy but *cringe* I have been fairly addicted to (coffee particularly!)

While I've been basically exhausted (especially from study intesifying during this time) and admittedly in a bad mood for lot of it, I have been coming to realise more and more how important it is to lean solely on God and his Word as I've found a number times during our fast that this was the only way I could've had any energy and stayed at least moderately attentive in class!

Thanks heaps Saph, I really appreciate the post! ^_^
J.D3

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth