Out of the Saltshaker and into the...Forums?

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Out of the Saltshaker and into the...Forums?

Postby TWWK » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey everyone! Evangelism can be a touchy subject...I think many of us feel guilt trips and apprehension regarding it. For me, it's hardest with those I'm closest to, and I think this is the same with many. But in general, I find it difficult to evangelize to any person face to face.

Thus...most of my evangelism has been (in spurts) through forums, personal messaging, emails, etc. the last several years. And so, I have two sets of questions for y'all:
  1. What struggles do you have with witnessing to others? Or not at all (perhaps you can encourage me and others)? How are you evangelizing?
  2. Would you like to join in my discussion on the Anime Planet forums? I'm trying not to get into a debate here, but simply answering to those genuinely having questions about the Christians faith. I may be failing. :P
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:50 pm

I can't give you any advice here. I've come to the conclusion I was never meant to be a pastor or a missionary. I've tried talking about God to family and friends and it only comes out sounding awkward and I leave the wrong impression. Like them calling me weird and think I'm getting overly religious. It has left me is dispair!
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Hansha » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:30 am

Evangelism is a scary thing for me most times. I'm so afraid of saying the wrong thing or presenting this sort of formalized "plastic Jesus" that I was shown so many times before I became a Christian. Honestly the best times of evangelism involved a whole lot of prayer and a whole lot of letting go of controlling the convo.
Hansha

Postby Hansha » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:32 am

TopazRaven (post: 1453405) wrote:I can't give you any advice here. I've come to the conclusion I was never meant to be a pastor or a missionary. I've tried talking about God to family and friends and it only comes out sounding awkward and I leave the wrong impression. Like them calling me weird and think I'm getting overly religious. It has left me is dispair!

I feel your pain! My mom kept worrying I was going to join a cult or something after I became a Christian.:eh:
Hansha

Postby Hiryu » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:20 am

I think what most any other person who tries to witness to someone, their hardest time is getting the person to listen to you, and to let them know that you care. It's hard to care when someone doesn't.
Hiryu

Postby TopazRaven » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Hansha (post: 1457571) wrote:I feel your pain! My mom kept worrying I was going to join a cult or something after I became a Christian.:eh:

:lol: My mom doesn't think that much in least.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby Nate » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:26 pm

My solution is simple. I just don't evangelize. XD

That sounds terrible but I mean, Christianity is a major religion in the US. People know what it is, and what it's about. This isn't Jack Chick World where someone mentions Jesus and the other person says "Jesus? Who's that?" If a person isn't already Christian, it's not because they've never heard of Christianity before.

I don't hide my faith, and people will occasionally ask me questions and I do my best to answer them, but I don't normally bring it up because why would I? Jesus said they'll know we're Christians by our love, and I personally feel evangelizing annoys or frustrates people. And annoying and frustrating a person isn't loving them very well. At least I don't feel it is. XD

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Hansha » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Nate (post: 1457637) wrote:My solution is simple. I just don't evangelize. XD

That sounds terrible but I mean, Christianity is a major religion in the US. People know what it is, and what it's about. This isn't Jack Chick World where someone mentions Jesus and the other person says "Jesus? Who's that?" If a person isn't already Christian, it's not because they've never heard of Christianity before.

I don't hide my faith, and people will occasionally ask me questions and I do my best to answer them, but I don't normally bring it up because why would I? Jesus said they'll know we're Christians by our love, and I personally feel evangelizing annoys or frustrates people. And annoying and frustrating a person isn't loving them very well. At least I don't feel it is. XD

IDK man...I knew about Jesus before but heard a lot of twisted works based versions of the gospel. I'm not saying shove it down their throat, I hate it when people get treated like "evangelism projects", but never assume.
" The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5
Hansha

Postby shooraijin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:36 am

I think that there's twisted and then there's twisted (i.e., there's heresy and then there's heterodoxy). There are a lot of differences of theological opinion between people, some of them serious and irreconcilable, some tolerable, and some acceptable.

That said, Nate is correct in that there are lots of people who are aware of Jesus, but I don't think that's the same thing as having heard the gospel specifically or knowing how it changed our individual lives. I'm not much of a proselytizer either, and it's definitely not my introverted style to go stuffing copies of the NKJV down somebody's throat with a nice card saying "READ IT." But I do think that evangelism demands explanation of our personal relationship with God, or it just looks like notches in your Bible. Obviously it also requires the perceptiveness to determine when somebody is ready.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby TWWK » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:40 am

Nate (post: 1457637) wrote:That sounds terrible but I mean, Christianity is a major religion in the US. People know what it is, and what it's about. This isn't Jack Chick World where someone mentions Jesus and the other person says "Jesus? Who's that?" If a person isn't already Christian, it's not because they've never heard of Christianity before.

Everyone in the U.S. knows the name Jesus...but from my personal experience, lots and lots of (most?) non-Christians know very little about the Christian faith. And for those who are open to it, we're doing a great disservice if we're deciding not to tell them the gospel message because we're assuming they know it.

Of course, I say this even though I rarely evangelize to others outside of teh Internetz.

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby Hiryu » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Nate (post: 1457637) wrote:My solution is simple. I just don't evangelize. XD

Evangelizing someone can be painful for both people. It seems like people have made up their mind already and don't want to be told what to do. This isn't something like changing your phone company, this is what people believe and how they live their life. Really, all you can do is tell it to them, and if they seem interested, give them more info. Some people you can tell them bible stories until the cattle come home, but it won't make a bit of difference.

In reality, we couldn't even save ourselves. So what business do we have trying to save others? We have to let God work through their lives.
Hiryu

Postby Nate » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Actually from my personal experience, it seems most non-Christians know more about the Christian faith than most Christians do. That may be skewed however since most Christians I know are from here, and tend to be in the 14-20 year age group and aren't quite ready to fully grasp the heavier theological stuff. I mean I know I was pretty ignorant of most of Christianity when I was those ages too.
And for those who are open to it, we're doing a great disservice if we're deciding not to tell them the gospel message because we're assuming they know it.

*shrug* I still disagree with you. If people are open to it, they probably already are Christian. There's enough billboards, and church signs, and politicians and news programs on TV talking about Christianity and Jesus that they know what the religion is about and what it entails.

Now are some of those sources going to give them faulty information? Sure, I won't doubt some of them are twisted, as Hansha said. But as far as I'm concerned at that point you're not really evangelizing, you're debating theology. And it's kind of rude to debate theology with a person who isn't interested in it. That's my take anyway.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby TWWK » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Nate (post: 1457892) wrote:*shrug* I still disagree with you. If people are open to it, they probably already are Christian. There's enough billboards, and church signs, and politicians and news programs on TV talking about Christianity and Jesus that they know what the religion is about and what it entails.

Now are some of those sources going to give them faulty information? Sure, I won't doubt some of them are twisted, as Hansha said. But as far as I'm concerned at that point you're not really evangelizing, you're debating theology. And it's kind of rude to debate theology with a person who isn't interested in it. That's my take anyway.

Two things:
1. If you think you know Jesus from a billboard or the Christian right...you probably don't know Jesus. :P

2. I'm not interested in debate about religion - overwhelmingly, this is usually between two sides who are set in their beliefs. I'm interested in those who are open to religion; those who believe in the Christian God, but have questions; and those who don't understand Christianity. I've witnessed to a lot of people in forums and like places, and I've found that, while by and large you're probably right about most non-Christians knowing more about Christianity than Christians, there are a whole lot of people that fit into these categories that may just need someone to invest time and love in them.

TWWK

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Gonna just say that some people here may not associate the words 'invest time' and 'love' with evangelism. I know I don't.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Indeed. I've noticed a lot of evangelism relies on fear and telling people they are going to burn in hell rather then telling about Jesus and His love in a proper and respectful manner. How did I get back into Christanity? Indeed through evangelism. If you've seen most of my earlier threads then you know what it's done to me. I started to hate myself so much I almost ran away from God again because I relized I couldn't live up to every rule printed in the Bible.

TopazRaven

Postby TWWK » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:59 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1457925) wrote:Gonna just say that some people here may not associate the words 'invest time' and 'love' with evangelism. I know I don't.

The title of this thread is taken from a book called Out of the Saltshaker and into the World, which is a very warm book about relational (?) evangelism. This would involving investing time and showing love. But I don't think cold turkey evangelism (I dunno if this is what it's called or if I just made it up?) is without merit either, as I was surprised that a woman came out to church after avoiding it for years after a friend and I just knocked on her door and shared.

TWWK

Postby Hansha » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:11 pm

TWWK (post: 1457981) wrote:The title of this thread is taken from a book called Out of the Saltshaker and into the World, which is a very warm book about relational (?) evangelism. This would involving investing time and showing love. But I don't think cold turkey evangelism (I dunno if this is what it's called or if I just made it up?) is without merit either, as I was surprised that a woman came out to church after avoiding it for years after a friend and I just knocked on her door and shared.

You would be surprise how God gets to people. I personally used to think gospel tracts were to impersonal to be used but then I heard about people who were saved by them. Who knew?
" The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5
Hansha

Postby Maledicte » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Just as long as it's not one of those fake money tracts. Or tracts left as tips.
Maledicte

Postby shooraijin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Or tracts left as tips.

I've heard of that practice. I think that's the most disgusting thing ever.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby TWWK » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:31 am

Hansha (post: 1457984) wrote:You would be surprise how God gets to people. I personally used to think gospel tracts were to impersonal to be used but then I heard about people who were saved by them. Who knew?

God will work how He wants to work! The whole "mysterious ways" thing, right?

But the one factor that all these ideas share is that someone has to spread the message. Sure, some may come to Christ in a Paul fashion, though I don't know anyone who came to know God through a divine revalatory event. In the end, God is relational, and as such, He uses His people to spread His word.

TWWK

Postby Hiryu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:28 am

TWWK (post: 1457911) wrote:Two things:
1. If you think you know Jesus from a billboard or the Christian right...you probably don't know Jesus. :P

Agreed. Knowing him is different that actually knowing and having a relationship with him.

TopazRaven wrote:Indeed. I've noticed a lot of evangelism relies on fear and telling people they are going to burn in hell rather then telling about Jesus and His love in a proper and respectful manner.

Yes, it's true, but they need to tell the other side of the story to, it's not all doom and gloom.
Hiryu

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:46 am

I still just fail to see how walking up to someone and telling them, "Hey you are a terrible person and shall rot and burn eternally in hell if you don't accept Jesus into your life now. Have a nice day," is going to convert many people.

TopazRaven

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 am

TopazRaven (post: 1458113) wrote:I still just fail to see how walking up to someone and telling them, "Hey you are a terrible person and shall rot and burn eternally in hell if you don't accept Jesus into your life now. Have a nice day," is going to convert many people.

And this is usually how I see this sort of thing done. I get tracts handed to me every once in a while, apparently because I 'don't look Christian' and I've never received an honest inquiry before or after about my relation with Christianity, just 'read this little booklet and it'll magically make you all better!'

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby Hansha » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 pm

mechana2015 (post: 1458114) wrote:And this is usually how I see this sort of thing done. I get tracts handed to me every once in a while, apparently because I 'don't look Christian' and I've never received an honest inquiry before or after about my relation with Christianity, just 'read this little booklet and it'll magically make you all better!'

I've never gotten one but my sister did. One of those million dollar ones. She was so annoyed. How do you not look Christian enough XD? Are they like "I'm sorry. Christians only where Ralph Lauren."
Hansha

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:51 pm

I don't know... apparently I'm not wearing enough crosses as jewelry or WWJD t-shirts or something. Oh and my was probably too long most of the time.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:28 am

This is why I quit going out with the street team ministry at one church. While I was all for going in street clothes and being in public places, their methods were very much like mech and a few others described. That, and the rules that guys couldn't speak one-on-one with girls or vice versa. Sure, there was some rationale behind it but I still felt it wasn't very loving.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby J.D3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:35 pm

shooraijin (post: 1457824) wrote:That said, Nate is correct in that there are lots of people who are aware of Jesus, but I don't think that's the same thing as having heard the gospel specifically or knowing how it changed our individual lives.

I agree, I'm pretty sure that most folks in the Western world have at least heard of God or Jesus, but I doubt that many of them have the correct understanding of Him. When you think about it, not much 'positive press' is given to us really (at least not where I am) & the media mainly seems to display negative instances, such as abuse & theft by so-called Church leaders and associates. That coupled with some of the darker periods in the Church's history (the Crusades, etc. which are also featured a lot) & constant asaults from prominent atheists/anti-theists more recently, I suppose it's no wonder a lot of folks are either antagonistic or nervous about God and the Christian faith (but then again, that's enemy's point in stirring that attitude up, ey?)

K. Ayato (post: 1458327) wrote:This is why I quit going out with the street team ministry at one church. While I was all for going in street clothes and being in public places, their methods were very much like mech and a few others described. That, and the rules that guys couldn't speak one-on-one with girls or vice versa. Sure, there was some rationale behind it but I still felt it wasn't very loving.

It's sad to hear that you stopped doing that sort of thing because of that. I'd say that you can't really reach people with a religous mindset. I REALLY despise that way of thinking myself & I'm trying my best to stay away from that atm (I think God's been trying to tell me recently to change my way of thinking & loosen up a bit!)

Personally, I have had/have real trouble plucking up the courage to speak to non-Christians around me about God, Jesus & our Faith (I'm very worried I may say the wrong thing or give the wrong impression).
I've had a few opportunities here & there, but I'm confident that God can open up opportunities for this to happen (in fact, 'religion' & stuff has been briefly mentioned several times by my non-Christian lecturers since starting study again recently, so I'm kinda thinking God's hinting at something to me this year).

I think that, to 'evangelise', you don't necessarily have to run out into the mall or the streets (although I think that's a legitimate ministry when applied correctly) or have big long D&M's with family, friends or co-workers (though there's a time & place for that too!) but really I think it's simply about letting people around you know what a relationship with God through Jesus is really like, sort of like 'leading by example' (which I think Paul or somebody mentions) through how you choose to live & deal with people and circumstances around you or which you may be dealing with. In short, showing that we do have the love of God inside of us.

Easier said than done of course, but I'm sure that if you ask God He can help us in spreading His message/love, as well as making a decision to be different and step out of our comfort-zones to share His love with others - despite what people may think or do.

(That answer was a bit longer than intended, but I hope my 2 cents, for what it's worth, is of some help)
J.D3

Postby Hansha » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 pm

J.D3 (post: 1458735) wrote:I agree, I'm pretty sure that most folks in the Western world have at least heard of God or Jesus, but I doubt that many of them have the correct understanding of Him. When you think about it, not much 'positive press' is given to us really (at least not where I am) & the media mainly seems to display negative instances, such as abuse & theft by so-called Church leaders and associates. That coupled with some of the darker periods in the Church's history (the Crusades, etc. which are also featured a lot) & constant asaults from prominent atheists/anti-theists more recently, I suppose it's no wonder a lot of folks are either antagonistic or nervous about God and the Christian faith (but then again, that's enemy's point in stirring that attitude up, ey?)

It's sad to hear that you stopped doing that sort of thing because of that. I'd say that you can't really reach people with a religous mindset. I REALLY despise that way of thinking myself & I'm trying my best to stay away from that atm (I think God's been trying to tell me recently to change my way of thinking & loosen up a bit!)

Personally, I have had/have real trouble plucking up the courage to speak to non-Christians around me about God, Jesus & our Faith (I'm very worried I may say the wrong thing or give the wrong impression).
I've had a few opportunities here & there, but I'm confident that God can open up opportunities for this to happen (in fact, 'religion' & stuff has been briefly mentioned several times by my non-Christian lecturers since starting study again recently, so I'm kinda thinking God's hinting at something to me this year).

I think that, to 'evangelise', you don't necessarily have to run out into the mall or the streets (although I think that's a legitimate ministry when applied correctly) or have big long D&M's with family, friends or co-workers (though there's a time & place for that too!) but really I think it's simply about letting people around you know what a relationship with God through Jesus is really like, sort of like 'leading by example' (which I think Paul or somebody mentions) through how you choose to live & deal with people and circumstances around you or which you may be dealing with. In short, showing that we do have the love of God inside of us.

Easier said than done of course, but I'm sure that if you ask God He can help us in spreading His message/love, as well as making a decision to be different and step out of our comfort-zones to share His love with others - despite what people may think or do.

(That answer was a bit longer than intended, but I hope my 2 cents, for what it's worth, is of some help)

Well said ^^
Hansha

Postby Warrior4Christ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:25 am

Hiryu (post: 1457889) wrote:It seems like people have made up their mind already and don't want to be told what to do.

Um... shouldn't we recognise the Holy Spirit's role in this as well? God wants people to know Him!

TWWK (post: 1457981) wrote:But I don't think cold turkey evangelism (I dunno if this is what it's called or if I just made it up?) is without merit either, as I was surprised that a woman came out to church after avoiding it for years after a friend and I just knocked on her door and shared.

No, I've heard cold turkey evangelism used as a term, so you didn't make it up.
And yes, God does actually surprisingly work in more ways than we expect, even in our relativistic, leave-me-alone, ADD generation. So I don't discount crusty old men handing out gospel tracts at the mall, because God works through them as well.

Indeed, here is one such remarkable story....
http://cojourner.blogspot.com/2008/01/mr-jenner-not-genor-video.html

So to answer the question:
1. In real life evangelism, I do find it hard/daunting to bring up the topic of religion/gospel, but I do sometimes anyway. I don't have the words when they come out (and you always think of ways you could have said it so much better after it). I was involved with university student ministry, and now workers' ministry, which is better in doing evangelism, as you can do it in a group and make an event to invite people to. In online evangelism, I have more time to put together a response, so it usually comes out better, and the topic's usually brought up by the curious non-Christian.
2. I do enjoy online discussions like this. I'll consider it. (I do wonder how it'll look to that community having people recruited just for that thread...)
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:36 am

Warrior4Christ (post: 1458763) wrote:2. I do enjoy online discussions like this. I'll consider it. (I do wonder how it'll look to that community having people recruited just for that thread...)

I hate to put it in this context, but it does sound sort of like trolling if you're pulling people into a community just to express a specific viewpoint and not contribute to the community at large in any way.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Next

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth