Some help here..

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Some help here..

Postby LolitaAi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:03 am

Hi, my name's Catherine and have finally decided to walk the christian walk but I'm quite scared and nervous on what to do.

I guess I'm still having doubts ..and just so confused on what to read first in the bible.

Also I know you can't become a christian just by saying some type of statement but what exactly do you have to do though to become a christian?

I need so help here :/ Thanks ^.^

Also please move this if it's in the wrong section..I just joined so yeah owo;
LolitaAi

Postby Midori » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:26 am

LolitaAi (post: 1447368) wrote:Also I know you can't become a christian just by saying some type of statement but what exactly do you have to do though to become a christian?
Actually...I'm pretty sure that making a statement is in fact all you have to do. I mean, it has to be a true statement meaning you have to not be lying, but there's nothing else. Here's a couple verses about that:
Romans 10:9-10 (NIV 2010) wrote:If you declare with your mouth, “]So yeah, that's that.

It's true that Christians ought to do good things, but good actions are the result of faith, not the cause. If you truly believe, God will gradually change you into a better person; you don't have to be a good person to become a Christian.

Also please move this if it's in the wrong section..I just joined so yeah owo;
I think this is in the right section, so no worries.
Midori

Postby Lynna » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:08 am

Midori explained it nicely ^_^
Jesus died on the cross to save you from your sins, so all you have to do is except that. It is a free gift!
Also, As to what to read first, I suggest The Gospels : Mathew, Mark, Luke andf John. When I find those pretty much explain christianity well, and will probably answer a lot of your questions. Also, I would suggest reading the first few chapters of Genesis, unless you already know the story of the fall.
Those are just some suggestions.
Also, This isn't mandatory at all, but If you want to get baptised, It would probably be better to get it done sooner than later.(just my opinion that's all)
hope that helps!
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:10 am

All you need to do to become a Christian is accept Jesus Christ as your savior and know it is true in your heart. Personally, I started reading the bible from the very beginning in Genesis, but perhaps The New Testement would be a good place for you to start. I'm somewhat new to Christianity myself and I'm not going to lie and say I don't have doubts sometimes, but then at other times I feel so strongly about Jesus that I know my doubts are foolish thoughts. Becoming strong in your faith could take as little as a day to as long as a few years. It all depends on the person I think. Meanwhile, doing good things alone will not get you into heaven. One of the most important things about being a Christian is faith and love. Help others because you want to, not because you have to.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:04 pm

I also agree with Midori ^^ Just be sure that what you are saying is true ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:21 pm

LolitaAi (post: 1447368) wrote:Hi, my name's Catherine and have finally decided to walk the christian walk but I'm quite scared and nervous on what to do.

I guess I'm still having doubts ..and just so confused on what to read first in the bible.

First of all, welcome to the family of God! Choosing to follow Jesus is a huge decision; it's absolutely natural to have doubts about it no matter how long you've been a Christian, but the key is to deal with them as they show up, seeking for God's help as you do.

Now, the Bible...it's a pretty daunting book at first, but it's the key to learning what God wants in our lives and why. Since it was written in parts by all kinds of people, each one dealing with slightly different issues, you'll find something in there that you like.

First of all, find a translation that you feel comfortable reading and can understand - luckily, there's lots of translations out there, and you can get plenty of them online nowadays. (Better yet, find two or more - translation from the original Hebrew and Greek the Bible was written, or between any language, can be a very imprecise business, and different people will translate it in different ways, so it's good to get another look at .) The New International Version's a good one; not a whole lot of frills, but it's in modern English and it's designed to be as clear as possible.

There's a huge variety of genres and within the Bible as a whole, and even within each book of it, from poetry to historical records, letters to churches and people, travelogues, romance, fire-and-brimstone preaching...pretty much any type of writing you can think of. Trust me, you'll find something you'll enjoy. Start off with one of the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) - they're the story of Jesus, each with a different style. Mark is my favorite, and a good starting point, since it's written for people who weren't familiar with the Jewish customs of the day, but all four tell the whole story, and they all focus on different things.

Romans is a great outline of Christianity and its basics. It starts out by explaining our need for Jesus, the hope we have in Him, and how to live for God. Try reading it all in one sitting and following along with the logical thread that's in it - it'll take maybe half an hour. Dip into some of the Psalms - they're a whole bunch of poems, written in almost every kind of mood. Try out some of the minor prophets (basically everything between Daniel and Matthew), which are sermons to a country God had chosen and loved, but whose people had abandoned that over the years. They show God's hatred for sin, but also His infinite love for the world, His desire that we would show justice and mercy to one another and the hope that He is coming to set up His perfect world one day.

But don't just follow my advice - there's lots of fun to be had in exploring the Bible on your own. Pick a book and just go through it, because you're bound to find something good in it! Look up things and places you aren't familiar with in other sources - you're going to find some, what with being written in the Middle East, two thousand years or so ago. Find a plan to read through the whole Bible, so that eventually you'll get the whole picture when you're done, and because it'll be easier to stay consistent when you've got a track to follow

Anyway, happy hunting, and God bless! I'll be praying that you'll find comfort and things that challenge you to think in new ways about how you see God as you read.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby shooraijin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Don't get hung up on "the right thing to do." Belief in Christ is enough, and all else follows.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth