Question...

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Question...

Postby Murphy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:57 pm

Does anyone know anything about Opus Dei. I am doing research and could use either a for or against information. Anything would be much help. Here's what I know; Opus Dei is a sect of the Roman Catholic church wich is surrounded by controversy because of their cult like traditions and iniatiations, and some of there actions. I'd love to here a christian standpoint on this so if any of you have anything...sorry if this sin't in the right place but I figured it was the best place to put it.
Murphy

Postby Technomancer » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:36 pm

One has to be careful, especially given the quality of many sources on the internet, which sometimes resemble the Weekly World News more than any reasonable attempt at research. I don't know what you would call a "Christian perspective"; Christians may be just as ill-informed and hysterical as anyone else.

Anyways, the Opus Dei organization is meant to be a lay Catholic organization, and is very conservative in character. In some regards, it's organization is similar to a monastic order, as some of the members may choose to live in a communal environment although they still work in the community. The idea is that while the more traditional teaching and charitiable work done is valuable, there is a need to foster a "lay spirituality", which means members working in more secular professions and bearing witness to their faith.

As for being "cultish", I have seen nothing to indicate that they're any worse than the more established orders. Being a human organization, it is made up of, well, humans, with everything that that entails.

An article of some use my be found at:
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/opusdei_story1.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_Dei

And of course,
http://www.opusdei.org/
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Murphy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:13 pm

Wowwie, thankies.
:dance:
Save Eliot!

I used to be Lain Iwakura but then the voices told me it was too hard to pronounce, so I changed it to Murphy. *Beam*

"i dun wanna be, i dun wanna be me,
i dun wanna be, me anymore. (chorus)

they were throwing at his home,
two glass houses
twenty stones,
fourteen yellow,
six all blue,
could it be worse?
quite doubtful.

(chorus)

two steps forward,
three steps back,