Revenge or Mercy?

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Revenge or Mercy?

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:06 pm

In 2nd Samuel, David's son Absalom usurps his kingdom and David goes on the run. He and his men come across a man named Shimei who starts hurling stones and cursing at them. David's men want to kill him, but David stops them, saying: "What am I going to do with you [guys]? If the Lord has told him to curse me, who am I to stop him? My own son is trying to kill me. Shouldn't this relative of Saul have even more reason to do so? Leave him alone and let him curse, for the Lord has told him to do it."

Much later on, after Absalom is killed and David is returned to his kingship, Shimei is one of the first people to greet him and apologize profusely for his actions. David's men again want to kill him, but David stops them and offers forgiveness to Shimei.

I find David's response to be really interesting, because I know that if I'm going through a really tough time, and someone were to come up to me and start insulting and putting me down, my inner self is naturally inclined to fight back and attempt to hurt the other person. I think everyone has been there at some point or another.

David attributes his persecution by Shimei as something not to be spiteful or vengeful about, but as a test from God, and not something to get worked over about. He even reasons that Shimei has a logical reason for hating him so much, and lets it go and goes on his way.

I think this is a good example on how to treat others in our lives who slander and persecute us. Instead of retaliating, see if it is possible to find out the reason the other person is acting this way, see if there is any way possible to bring rectification, and if not, then just give the glory to God and just walk away. And always be prepared to give mercy at the moment the opportunity presents itself.

You don't always know what is going on deep down inside a person. Rather than getting hurt and trying to tear them down even further to make yourself feel better, you just don't know whether or not God is presenting you with an opportunity to minister to a person's heart, whether you actually respond back or not.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Rusty Claymore » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:07 pm

This reminds me of Micah 6:8 - He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Excellent point, Azier.
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth