Light

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Light

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:37 am

Part 1

2 Corinthians 4
6For God, who said, "Let there be light in the darkness," has made us understand that this light is the brightness of the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ. 7But this precious treasure--this light and power that now shine within us--is held in perishable containers, that is, in our weak bodies. So everyone can see that our glorious power is from God and is not our own. (NLT)

This is the first part in a series that the more I study and read, the longer I think it will be. However, the neat thing about these topics is the amount of parallel scriptures that can be applied, not to mention testimonies and encouragement that can be shared.

Every Christian has heard that they are to be the light of the world. However, many do not take this seriously at all. I cannot count how many frustrated friends have come up to me and complained that they’re mistakes seem so much worse because they are a Christian. [i]“Why does the attention seem so pointed on my downfalls and sins? Just because I’m a Christian doesn’t mean I can be perfect all the time. It’s like they’re watching me, waiting for me to fall.â€
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:29 pm

Good to see some Bible studies up. I liked your lightbulb analogy, which is a league ahead of any of my analogies. I'm waiting for more.
uc pseudonym

Postby Rashiir » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:44 pm

Awesome work. It was uplifting for me, but maybe I'm just weird. This site is becoming more and more a source of fellowship for me and I'm glad for it. Thanks!
Rashiir

Postby express » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:19 pm

as we become Christians – our lives are no longer about us. We have been chosen to lead others to the heart of God, but it does not come without cost. It will be different for all of us, as we were meant to reach different people.

I totally agree with this. So many things have happened intrinsically (in my thoughts and my heart) and the externally (actions I do) since I've been saved, and I knew that all these things weren't of me, but of the Lord God. It's incredible! I feel safe in the Will of God, knowing all I have to do now is obey Him and rebuke evil. But, if we even compromise a little bit for this world, fufilling God's Will is impossible.

Gypsy, I've shared my testimony with you, and I could tell you that all those things I said came from the Holy Spirit because if I were to take part in it, terrible things would have happened and I wouldn't be able to say anything. I probably would have turned away from God at that point. But praise God that I didn't.
express

Postby majanthehun » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:19 pm

wait a sec peter...

are you sure you want to bring chuck smith and greg laurie into this?

j/k yes, Gypsy, your Bible study was very uplifting and for its impact as compared to its length, it is on the level of chuck smith and greg laurie and even (dare i say) raul reis.
Lord, I don't know where this is going,
Or how this all works out
Lead me to peace that is past understanding
A peace beyond all doubt

-Newsboys "Lord (I don't know)"
majanthehun

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:01 pm

Expect an update really soon. Hopefully tonight.
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Rev. Doc » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:47 pm

Great Study Gypsy. I'm leading our church through I Corinthains right now on Sunday morning (actually for the past 6 months now). I look forward to the rest.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:23 pm

Continued …

2 Corinthians 4

8 We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don’t give up and quit. (NLT)

I’m just going to take the verse in sequence and go from there.

Most of us know what it’s like to be pressed on every side. Some have had more of an extreme experience than others, perhaps, but that’s beside the point. When everything around you seems to fall apart – friends, your parents, financial issues, your faith … from every possible angle, trouble comes. This means from both your “enemiesâ€
Gypsy

Postby Stephen » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:53 pm

Keep up the good work Gypsy...your lessons are uplifting and thought provoking...something many stuides lack that people do...(most of the stuff I used to teach when I tought sunday school)
"But I encourage you to press on, even though you really don’t understand. "

How true that is...
Stephen

Postby Rashiir » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:33 pm

That's awesome stuff there...I really like the analogy C. S. Lewis makes in that God holds our hand at the beginning like a parent trying to teach a child to walk, but what He wants to teach us to do is to walk on our own and for that He has to start us off and then let go.
Rashiir

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:05 am

You approached this with an attitude of humility, which I'm grateful for. Like you mentioned, it's very easy for those of us not dealing with problems to tell others to fix them. The very fact that you acknowledge this makes a world of a difference. I'll be waiting for more.
uc pseudonym

Postby Master Kenzo » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:39 am

The first thing that popped up in my head when i opened this thread was, "Ugh. So much to read."

But I found it was worth it, thanks for the message. Keep it up, I'm waiting for more :)
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:30 pm

Indeed!
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Spiritsword » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:30 pm

It's great so far, Gypsy!

I can definitely relate to the part about going forward even when you don't understand. I'm still doing that with certain areas of Christianity (certain parts of the Bible, really) and just having faith in God, that He will enlighten me through His Holy Spirit according to His will. And I'm not sure if this is the right way to approach it or not, but I've accepted that with certain areas, I may not even know for certain until I join Him in His eternal kingdom. I just trust in Him.

That's kind of tough for me, because I've had a tendency toward skepticism and the need for physical proof for a long time. But after accepting Jesus Christ into my life a couple years back, the faith part has been coming easier and easier. Not a sudden enlightenment, but a gradual, subtle, effective progression.

It's awesome how God works in each of our lives according to what's best for us individually. He knows us all so intimately.

Anyway, keep up the good work on the Bible study, and I'll keep reading!

Spiritsword
Spiritsword

Postby express » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:54 am

I agree with you, Spiritsword. I used to be just like that. I needed proof. But on the other side of the coin I used to mysitfy everthing when I learned about eastern religions. Praise God that He delivered me from those things. Even though I cannot see the Lord with my earthly eyes, I know now that He is far more real than anything we can see in front of us.

Questioning the worthiness and realness of God and the worthiness and realness of our walk and faith with and in Him is a very dangerous thing. Questioning our faith opens a door to Satan. He would be able to keep us in the jail of disobedience and sin because we would allow him to. But we know that Christ gave us the keys of true freedom; we are all faced with the choice of giving up and sitting back in that prison, even though we have the keys to walk out and be free. It's a choice the Lord gives us because He is loving and doesn't force His love on us; otherwise, it wouldn't be love.

Praise God that the Lord can speak through you, Gypsy, to share His word with us here at CAA. Keep it up! :)
express

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:01 pm

express wrote: Questioning our faith opens a door to Satan.

I think I have a bit of concern about this line. While I see where you are coming from, I wouldn't feel comfortable saying something like this so openly. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Often times of questioning can deepen our relationship with God. Plus, it's good to question our faith walk if it really is inadequate.

This feels like the start of a potential argument... if you want to draw issue with this, pm me. Not that I'm saying we take this outside, as I intend to resolve and not further any conflict, but no one else should be bothered (besides, this is Gypsy's thing).
uc pseudonym

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:14 pm

Gypsy wrote:We may feel like we’re being trampled by life, but because we are God’s lights to the world, He will not allow us to be crushed or broken. It may seem hopeless sometimes, but we have to remember that we’re in God’s hand, and how big His hand really is. Don’t think for an instant that because you can’t feel Him that He isn’t there. God surpasses our realm of thought. We may question and go through the fires, but by His grace, we won’t quit. We have His spirit leading and driving us on, even when we don’t realize it.

You are so right, Gypsy. I try to keep reminding myself of this as often as I can, especially as I watch the world continuing its downward spiral into sin and general lunacy.

Isn't it good to know that we can leave everything in our Lord's hands? Not even the devil is outside His control. ^_^
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Mimichan » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:50 pm

Hi Gypsy^^. I've enjoyed reading this study so far, and I can definitely relate to the part about suddenly not feeling anything. When I rededicated myself to Christ about 2 yrs ago, I felt His presence almost all the time whenever I prayed or read the Word. Then it seemed to stop suddenly and I didn't understand why. I wish I could've read your study then, I would have felt alot better^_^.

"Why do people not notice until they lose it?
What it is that's truly important...
Although I can't afford to forgive even myself,
Because you were there,
I was able to be myself (Natural).
I want to be honest...I want to be kind...
I want to be the adult I once (in my childhood) longed to be.
I go on fighting against the heart to run away...
I go on fighting against that invisible something!"
---

True Navigation: Two MIX
Mimichan

Postby Gypsy » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:06 am

I am so sorry for not updating this as often as I should. I have been crazy busy lately, and I've not had a lot of spare time. I guess instead of sketching during my lunch breaks, I should work on more important things like updating the Bible study, huh? So ... expect another section soon!
Gypsy

Postby Lluvia » Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:32 pm

Light Part 1: In some reverences, this was rather commonsensical, but we all as Christians fall from the grace of God at irregular intervals within this infinite field of pain and thorn, and accordingly all need to absorb the Word of God, furthermore heed all of the slurs we are given in such circumstances. For case in point, I on one occasion had a demanding week and rejected reading the Bible, an unbeliever drew attention to this for me, and I became affronted, hearing that from a nonbeliever, and utilized my demanding week as a defense; I was wrong. I felt especially guilty and prayed to the Lord for forgiveness, and of course apologized to that individual. God will convey us abundance of signs to return upon his footpath... we must follow them, otherwise all is lost. Anyway, good points and Biblical point of references... Well done, Gypsy. ^_^

Light Part 2: Wow, I must furnish you your congratulations! Very good points and it reads of essential precision. ^_^ I, too as a Christian, went through such a struggle but prayed to the Lord in regards to it anyhow, because somehow I still had faith, somehow the Lord was still holding on to me. This should provide anyone (if, in essence, a true believer) in such position the superfluous courage to advance in the Lord, our God. Once again, I enjoyed it and good job. ^_^
"In time of trouble...He shall set me upon a rock." - Psalms 24:5
Lluvia

Postby Rashiir » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:37 pm

LOL, Where did you learn to speak like that anyway?
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Postby Lluvia » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:53 pm

... I beg your pardon?
"In time of trouble...He shall set me upon a rock." - Psalms 24:5
Lluvia

Postby shooraijin » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:06 pm

[Lluvia]
I think Rashiir is reacting to your vocabulary, which is very impressive. :)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Rashiir » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:17 pm

Not to mention sentence structure.
"Be joyful always." - 1 Thes 5:16
Rashiir

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth