The Beggar or Beggar Su?

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

The Beggar or Beggar Su?

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri May 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Its crossroads time.

Lately I've more fully realized my passion for martial arts cinema. And with it I've come to know my heart for the homeless. And so the question is asked...

Which to choose?

Movie fighting is my passion. I've started to write short scripts hoping to make them into youtube shorts when I join a martial arts class.
-But What glory does that give to God?-

Caring for the homeless and desperate is a command from on High.
-But that doesn't fulfill me.-

On Screen action is the only "productive"/creative thing I know I can do well.
-But what is walking with the Lord if not sacrifice.-

Movies are another way of getting away from what is truly important. People need to hear the gospel.
-And I have no testimony to share. In fact the only thing that would I could benefit that kind of ministry is financially, but it that an excuse just so I can justify doing what i want? -

If anyone has anything they think could be of help. I'd be grateful.
Solid Ronin

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat May 16, 2009 4:38 am

I've struggled a lot with this question over the last decade, and it seems my answer has finally been decided for me: God can use people of any profession for his work, and he generally has a better time using people in completely secular jobs that live morally and have zeal for what they're doing than people who make sacrifices in "Godly" jobs that they're not ready in their hearts to make.

If you haven't already, maybe you could give homeless ministry a try. Some people do have a zeal for sacrifice and if you're considering this ministry you may have it, too. In the end, though, you should go with what you're passionate about. Submit yourself to him and God will use you wherever you go.
Cap'n Nick

Postby LadyRushia » Sat May 16, 2009 5:24 am

Cap'n Nick wrote:God can use people of any profession for his work, and he generally has a better time using people in completely secular jobs that live morally and have zeal for what they're doing than people who make sacrifices in "Godly" jobs that they're not ready in their hearts to make.

This.

I struggled with the same thing a couple years ago regarding my anime loving and passion for writing. All that went down when I was in China and by the time I came back I was fairly certain that God wanted me to write what I'm loosely calling "Christian anime stories." What happened was I sat in bed one night and decided to dedicate my writing to God and since then the story ideas I've gotten have smoothly blended Christianity or a Christian worldview and fantasy/anime elements without compromising either. Yeah, there are some fantasy elements I don't use but I don't feel like I want to use them and then can't, so I really don't see my writing as stuck in a box.

The point of that little story was that maybe you should try giving up your film making to God and see what happens. He gave you that creativity and that passion for a reason and He probably has some way that He wants you to use it. God doesn't give people passions for no reason, although it's very easy to take those passions on the wrong path. For example, I used to be very prideful about my writing, though I didn't outwardly show it, and I thought it was honoring God when it really wasn't.

Helping the homeless is an amazing experience. Often times, I feel that they help me more than I help them. There are some very intelligent and spiritual people out on the streets that everyone should take the time to listen to. I don't thinking looking at film making and helping the homeless should really be a one or the other type of thing. You can very easily do both. The group I go with at school goes on Thursday nights (which I miss because of swing dancing) and Saturday mornings. You could spend a couple hours with the homeless on weekends or whatever and still make films.

All in all, take it to God and He'll make things clear for you, even if he shows you the way over 9,000 times and you still ask Him, XD.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat May 16, 2009 1:33 pm

The best way to reconsile this would probably be to persue your love of action cinema, but then to set up a charity fund with a healthy ammount of the profits. Find (or found even) an organization you can trust to handle things on a face-to-face basis with them, and see how it grows. You can also use your position in the hollywood hierarchy to raise awareness among your industry peers, who themselves can spread the word even farther.

If all goes according to plan, someone might even bother to ask you "Why." I think you'll know what to do when that time comes.
Fish and Chips

Postby Solid Ronin » Sat May 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1312410) wrote:If all goes according to plan, someone might even bother to ask you "Why." I think you'll know what to do when that time comes.

Because when I give 6 billion homeless are fed and clothed?

Thank you everyone.
Solid Ronin

Postby Mr. Rogers » Thu May 21, 2009 1:35 pm

There is a huge homeless population in Japan. A girl I know actually suggested to me that people not caring for the homeless in Japan might actually be a big part of why Christianity is not taking off in Japan. You should consider helping the homeless in Japan. You can also start where you are right now. I'll share more information as my research allows.
Mr. Rogers

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth