Favorite book of the Bible

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

Favorite book of the Bible

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:16 pm

does anyone here have a favorite book(s) of the Bible? here are my favorites (in no particular order):

James
1 & 2 Timothy
Hebrews
Romans
Judges
John
Exodus
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby rocklobster » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:30 am

Psalms
Revelation
The Gospel of Luke
Paul's Letter to the Corinthians
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Sirach
Wisdom
Tobit (it has an angel in it as a main character!:angel:)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:54 am

Mine would be...

- Job
- Romans

I like all of the books in the Bible but those two would be my favorite. XD
CrimsonRyu17

Postby USSRGirl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:31 pm

Judges (oooh I lovez the gorey fun stories)

Ephesians (well, until that boring pastor man puked all over it so that I cannot stand to look at it now)

Samuel 1 & 2 (the whole David saga is like LOTR)

Gospel of Luke

Psalms

Job
USSRGirl

Postby JesusFreak84 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:29 pm

rocklobster (post: 1210568) wrote:Psalms
Revelation
The Gospel of Luke
Paul's Letter to the Corinthians
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Sirach
Wisdom

Tobi's my favorite! ^_^
Sirach and Wisdom also rock. Big. Ecclesastes is a good antidote to the "We must be happy ALL THE TIME!" people. :sweat:
Papist Pest :angel:

http://jesusfreak84.livejournal.com
http://www.adorem.us/forum
http://www.omegarock.com
Warning: I'm prone to the following--
:rant::comp::bang::poke::forehead:
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?" (Plagiarized from Mithradir.)
JesusFreak84

Postby Peanut » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:32 pm

Nahum
Proverbs
Judges
Luke

Yeah, outside of Nahum I have a pretty stereotypical list...oh well...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ADXC » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Proverbs
Job
Revalation

Id say those are my three favorite books of the Bible. There are more but I just wanted to post my top three books.
ADXC

Postby Sheenar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:40 pm

Hebrews, Romans, and James
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby MomoAdachi » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:16 pm

*Genesis
*Ruth
*Psalms
*Ecclesiastes(sp?)
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:19 pm

Ruth, Proverbs, 1st and 2nd Corinthians, Romans, Esther.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby sharien chan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Ephesians, and Romans...hands down
sharien chan

Postby Taran » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:05 pm

John and psalms
Taran

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Gospel of John
Ecclesiates
Proverbs
Psalms
I enjoy the Letters, but I can't really decide which one I would call 'favorite'.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby GeneD » Fri May 09, 2008 1:27 pm

rocklobster (post: 1210568) wrote:Sirach
Wisdom
I really don't mean to offend anyone or start debate or whatever, I'm just curious.

I'm not familiar with these books since they don't appear in the (version of?) Bible I use. So I was just wondering if the books are included for a specific denomination or something. I figured it'll be better to get the info from people at first than just from wikipedia.

Thanks. :thumb:
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]Revelation, period.

I would like Proverbs and Psalms a lot more if my Grandma didn't use them as punishment...[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby ADXC » Fri May 09, 2008 9:23 pm

@ Hana Ryuuzaki- What do you mean she uses them as punishment? I would think reading or listening to these books would be very insightful and uplifting.
ADXC

Postby JesusFreak84 » Fri May 09, 2008 9:46 pm

GeneD (post: 1224557) wrote:I really don't mean to offend anyone or start debate or whatever, I'm just curious.

I'm not familiar with these books since they don't appear in the (version of?) Bible I use. So I was just wondering if the books are included for a specific denomination or something. I figured it'll be better to get the info from people at first than just from wikipedia.

Thanks. :thumb:

It's in the Bible for Catholics and Orthodox Christians. I suspect any further explanation would push forum rules, but I can explain (albeit from a Catholic's perspective,) over PM if you wish.
Papist Pest :angel:

http://jesusfreak84.livejournal.com
http://www.adorem.us/forum
http://www.omegarock.com
Warning: I'm prone to the following--
:rant::comp::bang::poke::forehead:
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?" (Plagiarized from Mithradir.)
JesusFreak84

Postby GeneD » Sat May 10, 2008 2:17 am

JesusFreak84 (post: 1224759) wrote:It's in the Bible for Catholics and Orthodox Christians. I suspect any further explanation would push forum rules, but I can explain (albeit from a Catholic's perspective,) over PM if you wish.
Thanks, JesusFreak84. PM's a good idea though, I didn't think of that. I'll PM you then. :thumb:
GeneD

Postby Prince Asbel » Sat May 10, 2008 5:05 am

animedude90 (post: 1224753) wrote:@ Hana Ryuuzaki- What do you mean she uses them as punishment? I would think reading or listening to these books would be very insightful and uplifting.

(If I may be a bit humorous) Having a granny hovering over you and always sayin' "Listen here, sunny boy! It says to sing songs, so ya sing as lod as ya can!" can be annoying. :mutter:

But I can't speak for Hana. Both my grandmothers are dead, and I only saw them like only once every two and a half years. :lol: (We live a long ways apart)

My all-time favorite is Romans. It contains the most crucial scripture supporting the Calvinist views of the Bible.
Prince Asbel

Postby rocklobster » Sat May 10, 2008 5:13 am

Here are mine:
Psalms: Love all the praise for God, even when times are tough.
Job: A great fable for all time.
Proverbs: A great advice-giver
Revelation: Best ending ever!
The Gospel of Luke: Because the Virgin Mary plays a much bigger role here.
The Letter to the Corinithians: Contains Paul's famous treatise on Love.
Esther: One of the best female characters in the Bible. Period.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ADXC » Sat May 10, 2008 11:03 pm

@ Prince Asbel- Well, I dunno. I mean Id rather have a grandparent that cared about the scripture than one who didn't. The nagging is a part of the package deal.
ADXC

Postby Prince Asbel » Sun May 11, 2008 9:45 am

animedude90 (post: 1225163) wrote:@ Prince Asbel- Well, I dunno. I mean Id rather have a grandparent that cared about the scripture than one who didn't. The nagging is a part of the package deal.

It's better than nothing, yes. But it's not enough to just be better than nothing. Having to eat insects is better than having to eat nothing at all, but it's not good enough to just be better than nothing.
Prince Asbel

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Sun May 11, 2008 8:15 pm

animedude90 (post: 1224753) wrote:@ Hana Ryuuzaki- What do you mean she uses them as punishment? I would think reading or listening to these books would be very insightful and uplifting.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]*sighs* Gigi would make you sit down at the kitchen table, open the Bible to the beginning of Psalms or Proverbs, and say "You can't get up from this table until you read all of --INSERT BOOK HERE--. If you leave, it can only be to use the bathroom, and you have to get permission from me first!"

...Yeah.
Gig's dead now, though...[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby ADXC » Sun May 11, 2008 8:45 pm

Oh, I guess thats restrictive. She could have at least read with you and discussed the meaning of said scripture. Just making someone read something is not what I'd call teaching. Oh well, just make sure that doesn't interfere with your Bible reading today.
ADXC

Postby HetalianKatana4 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:01 am

Ruth
Revelations
:thumb:
"Even when a girl is as shy as a mouse, you still have to beware of the tiger within."- random Chinese proverb

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BleachBlue04?feature=mhee

My FanFiction account:
https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4095232
HetalianKatana4

Location: Either in Narnia, Soul Society, or America...I'm indecisive :P

Postby Neane » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 am

I have to say that my favorite old testament books would be the Books of Samuel, and Ezekiel.
As for the New Testament: My favorite would be the Gospel of John.
Neane

Postby Jolly Roger » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:27 am

I'll try to pick only one (its not easy. lol) for each Testament.

Old Testament: The Book of Job.... not only for the overall message of endurance and faith in God's sovereign will, but the surprisingly deep (and seldom mentioned) theological discussion between Job and his friends. Love it.

New Testament: The Book of James: powerful, convicting lessons of wisdom here that challenge me to this day.
Jolly Roger

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:04 pm

I also love the Book of James. That's my favorite, next to Revelations.
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby HarleyQuinnOy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Whats that saying...Oh yes..."I could no sooner choose a star in the heavens" lol! But I really love Job because I feel it really shows 1. The importance of giving people the right biblical advice for their situation 2. Bad things happen to everyone even born-again Christians, we just need to trust in God that everything will work out for the best, and realize that God is not punishing us. 3. DINOSAURS WALKED WITH MAN lol!!

I could make a list such as this and longer lol for every book of the bible though :)
and if I could only choose one book to read for the rest of my life it would have to be one of the Gospels in the New Testament, just because that is the root of our relationship with God!
[color="Pink"]It can't rain all the time[/color]
HarleyQuinnOy

Postby TheMewster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:50 pm

My favorite is 1 John because it helped me get through some of my doubts recently.
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Next

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth