How do you witness?

All spiritual discussion is focused here. You may share your testimony, anything you have learned about the Word, or shout your praises to God here. Also the hub of all CAA bible studies.

How do you witness?

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:57 pm

I'm horrible at it... I can't say I've ever really done it but I have such a hard time talking with people anyway unless I've become very comfortable around them (which for me, takes a looong time depending on their personality and how much they open up to me).

My social skills are not great by means. In fact they suck. I'm an extremely negative person (I don't try to be, my brain just works that way), I'm always looking at the donut hole. Very self conscious, low motivation and get pretty anxious and stressed when I'm at work and stuff or just depressed if I can't find something to occupy my mind. Plus I have spiritual issues of my own I'm always wrestling with.

So this is something thats really hard. Witnessing I mean. First I don't feel I'm much of a lamp or a Christian at all mostly because of the stuff I listed among others but thats all really not important.

But there's this guy at work I really care about (not in a gay way), real nice, one of the few I'm pretty comfortable around. To be honest I don't think I'm generally concerned about others salvation as I much as should be though at times I do think about it I just don't see what I can do about it and don't posses enough confidence to talk about it. But anyway, this guy and I were talking yesterday and he eventually told me he has cancer. Actually, I already knew, I've heard it circulated around work a while back but I never thought much of it. First lots of stuff go around work that aren't true. But hearing him say it I just felt so bad. The way he said it. I dunno. He's only 27 found out about it when he was 24... but ya we were talking about all that and I was just.. I dunno.. sad. I've never talked to anyone about stuff like that or someone so young with it. But I was just thinking about what that would be like and all. The good news it's in remission and after looking it up, the survival rate for this particular cancer after treatment is very high so hopefully it won't ever come back. But still I don't know if he's a Christian and I wish I could reach out to him somehow. I know he's always gonna live with the thought that it could come back (though its pretty unlikely after 5 years but anyway). The way he described it to me, it sounded like it had to be in stage III or IV when they found out which still has a high survival rate so thats good but anyway.

But ya it was a weird feeling. Like when I read the obituaries wondering what these people were like or how they died and if they're with God now. Anyway, I feel bad. I wish there was something I could do. I don't think people see Christ in me when I'm out and about. When I talk about anything Jesus related, I feel its coming out cheesy. I'm not a preacher type. How do you witness? I would feel so bad if something happened to him and I had done nothing. Someone telling me their dying and I just sit by and watch... I realize everyone is dying and everyone should be of equal concern but when someone only a few years older than you looks you in the eyes and says "I've... got cancer. -Blah blah- But, oh well..." Makes you think about it a little differently.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Momo-P » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:33 pm

The best thing you can probably do is...just try and behave in a Christian manner. Some people can say this doesn't help, but that's not true. If you're behaving how God WANTS you to? It will show through.

A good example would be when I was at work. I did dishes in the kitchen and sometimes they didn't always come out as clean as they needed to be. Of course some people would be like "blah, who cares, good enough for me!", but I couldn't do it. I would force myself to keep going and clean them again. One day the cook finally said something and my reply was for God. I told her we should we work as if we're working for God, not for people, and hey--who would give God a gross plate?

In the end she just kind of smiled and nodded, and it wasn't a huge deal, but is that true? Probably not. When I really think about it now, how many people in the normal world say things like that? It's very out of character for a human to be so passionate about something so kind like that...and it does catch your attention.

Obviously you can do a direct approach--ease into a convo about God (like in today's times, bring up Obama's old preacher and then find out what they feel that way), but otherwise...going straight up to people and bursting into "GOD IS GOOD!"?

Some people have the talent to do that, but I can't honestly say I do. I'm very nervous, I can't even order food at the counter very well because I don't do well in those type of circumstances. Plus, I always worry about turning people away from the Lord. So many humans have made it very clear--THEY HATE BEING BOTHERED. I mean, even I'll say it. When people come door to door about church stuff, I'm a Christian myself, but it's still like...go away. Let me be. ._.; It's not that you don't care because you really do, but a lot of people hate stuff being pressed on them.

The idea of pushing someone away scares me. Plus like I said, I can't talk real well anyways. Either the person would just walk off and I would become discouraged, or they might even debate with me and that is a VERY bad thing. I can't debate...not only do I hate confrontation in general, but I'm not some preacher or Bible grad student, there's a lot of things I don't know and whatnot, so it's not very smart for someone like myself to do that. ^^;

In the end it depends on the person. If you can bring yourself to do the last one, for pete's sake, do it! If not? Then do what you can and pray to the Lord Jesus Christ to strengthen you to do more.

Also there are other things people can do to help spread the Word. The tracts I think they're called...unfortunately I don't have a link, but I'm sure someone will. XD
Momo-P

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:56 am

You witness by telling and showing people what God has done in your life. All that you've seen of God, all that you have witnessed of Him. That's why we use the word witness. Just tell people about your experiences with God.

It doesn't necessarily have to be all forced and artificial. Just like you may tell someone about what happened the other day when something interesting happened, you can tell them about something God has done for you.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Kairi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:09 pm

[quote="Momo=P"]So many humans have made it very clear--THEY HATE BEING BOTHERED. I mean, even I'll say it. When people come door to door about church stuff, I'm a Christian myself, but it's still like...go away. Let me be. ._.]That actually happened to me yesterday morning. XD; A lady stopped by and wanted me to visit her church for some sort of Easter thing going on, and she was absolutely relentless. I'm sad to say that it was more of a blessing when she left than anything else. Maybe it's just me, but that kind of witnessing comes off as forced, and... well, kinda creepy. They're overly friendly and usually try to shove their beliefs right into your face, and I don't think that leaves atheists/agnostics with a very good impression of Christianity. Most of them don't want to hear stuff like, "Yer goin to Hell if you dun belieeeve in the powah of Jeeezus!" It puts them in a defensive mode when they start being questioned and condemned, so you can't really get anything through to them. And the Bible says not to argue with a fool, so...

I agree with what everyone else said. Actions speak louder than words, so if you live a pure and godly life then others will notice and (in most cases) want that kind of happiness for their selves. It's like the verse in my signature says. Of course, I think it's wonderful if you can introduce Christianity to someone without being too pushy -- examples being, if one of your friends is having a hard time, you could let them know that you'll pray for them? Or like Kaligraphic said, tell them (in a casual and natural conversation) how God has blessed you. That way it sound more genuine.

Just my opinion, though. Everyone has their own way of witnessing/being witnessed to, so... I won't argue with whatever works. XD; Just pray about it and let God handle the rest.
Kairi

Postby GeneD » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:03 pm

I can only tell you what i try to do. I had a friend in school that wasn't on the right path, she knew about God and such, I mean we were in a Christian school and all, but she didn't follow Him. After a few years, she turned back to God and she always told us (my other friends in the group and me) that the way we treated her and each other was the only thing that made a difference in her life, not even our words helped a lot. She moved to Australia, so i don't have that much contact with her anymore, but she still has a relationship with God as far as i know.

Since my cousins aren't saved either, if I mention anything about God, I'm usually just like "Well I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I am a Christian so this is what I believe." At least they know I’m not trying to shove it in their face, but they can still respect me and my faith.

Of course you can always pray. This is a quote i have about prayer that i love: "Because the least we can do, is the most we can do."
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby sharien chan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:34 pm

I try to show it through living the Christian life. I've gone witnessing but sometimes the group I was with came across so...judgmental and whatnot that I haven't joined them since. But I usually just live the Christian way, and when people ask I tell them about God. Or if God did something for me, I slip it into conversation. Instead of saying "Thank God" I say praise God. Also just pray that God reveals a way to talk to whoever it is. A way that is specific to that person, in a way that will reach them. And pray that God opens the eyes of their heart, and that they are open to receiving him, and that HE will work in their lives so that they can have an encounter with Him.
sharien chan

Postby rocklobster » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 am

Here's a good quote to remember:
I may be the only Christ people see.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Gabriel 9.0 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:11 pm

There are many ways to do it, don't plan anything, just let God take his course and you'll be fine.
Some of my favorite scriptures.

Psalm91
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Hebrews 4-4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

James 4
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

Revelation 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Gabriel 9.0

Return to Testimonies & Spiritual Growth